Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs Red Sox, 6/20 @ 7:10 PM CT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
252 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

That game last night was something that I expected to see from the Twins lineup on most nights. Driving in guys when they have the chance, hitting for extra base hits, and being aggressive on the base paths, albeit did back fire one time. If the Twins continue to play like they did in game one of the Red Sox they should have no problem getting back to .500 and even challenge the Indians throughout the summer. 

GAME TIME WEATHER: 78 degrees Fahrenheit, mostly cloudy, 0% chance of rain, wind ENE at 12 MPH

PITCHING MATCHUPS: David Price (8-4, 3.76 ERA) vs Lance Lynn (4-5, 4.98 ERA)

- Price is pitching like an all-star once again, and is the 2nd cy-young winner the twins will face in back-to-back nights. Lynn has finally started to look like the Lance Lynn we all expected to see after signing him. Let's hope he continues his streak tonight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mill's Milling Moments:

1. Extend Eduardo Escobar

I know that this isn't a hot take or anything like that, but I think it needs to be said as much as it can. Eduardo Escobar is the 2nd best hitter in this lineup, and is playing out of his mind. He is leading the AL in doubles by 5, and the NL leader by 10. He is a good defensive third baseman (eye-test), and appears to be a fantastic guy in the clubhouse, if you're into that kind of stuff. Yes, he is probably having a career year, but I believe that Escobar is the guy the Twins need to go after the most aggressively. You can't let him walk. 

2. Flip LaMarre for Cave

Yes, I do know that LaMarre had a 2 hit night last night, starting two very important rallies, which is great. However, he isn't the best outfielder in the system, and needs to go down to let Cave get reps and show what he can do. We know what LaMarre is, but Cave has potential to be better, and probably already is. He is average in CF, just like LaMarre, just as fast as Ryan, has more pop than Ryan, and hits RHP and LHP equally. Also, he has given us one of the biggest home runs on the year. Overall, Cave is better, and the better player should always be on the roster. 

3. Have Patients

I know this isn't always easy, nor is it always fun to come on a message board and say "be patient" because that doesn't make good conversation. However, BE PATIENT. Be patient with Dozier. Be patient with Kepler. Be patient with Sano and Buxton. Be patient with LoMo. Remember at the start of the year when we should have cut Rodney and Duke and Lance Lynn? Baseball is a game that is designed to make you fail, and you will. I'm not saying don't worry about players, but give them time to figure things out. They got to the big leagues for a reason. 

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, Loosey and 3 others like this

Career Game Thread Record: 2-1

#2 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:40 AM

Oh man, we had plenty of patients this year.  Physical maladies, psychological.  We've even had clients, so to speak, due to legalish scuffles.

Great opener!  Thanks!

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 4 others like this

#3 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:41 AM

Jumping in for a PSA. Only 4 game threads remain for June including tomorrow's finale vs Boston ... will it be for the sweep or the series tie-break? And the series opener vs the Cubs! Wow ... surprised that is still there! It's our first trip to Wrigley in, what ... 6 years? And all you Wrigley defenders just sit there? Come on ... you'd better take it up ... or I will and tell you what a dump Wrigley is. ;)

• USAFChief likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

I know everyone and their grandma wants to hand Escobar a long term deal... But to piggy back off your milling moments, be patient.

Hope he keeps this up as long as possible... But extending someone on a career year is scary.
  • Mike Sixel, Dantes929, Platoon and 1 other like this

#5 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

I know everyone and their grandma wants to hand Escobar a long term deal... But to piggy back off your milling moments, be patient.

Hope he keeps this up as long as possible... But extending someone on a career year is scary.

See Hughes, Phil
  • Mike Sixel, gil4 and Danchat like this

#6 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:06 PM

If you think Escobar is a .941 OPS guy then by all means try to extend him.What will you say when he is extended and goes back to his .725 career OPS?At least make him do it for a full season. You would pay some premium numbers but you would be doing that now anyway.  

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,892 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

If Escobar is your 2B, what kind of offense would he need for you to extend him? Because I would like to pay Machado infinity to play 3B, and put Esco at 2B......and move Sano to 1B/DH.

• Loosey and tvagle like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

If you think Escobar is a .941 OPS guy then by all means try to extend him. What will you say when he is extended and goes back to his .725 career OPS? At least make him do it for a full season. You would pay some premium numbers but you would be doing that now anyway.

He's been great so far... Without him and Eddie we would probably be talking about Total System Failure 2.0.

I hope we're also prepared for this to come crashing down. He could finish the season as an .850 OPS player but he's certainly not a .950 OPS guy over a full season.
  • Mike Sixel, Dantes929, Danchat and 1 other like this

#9 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

Well, it would certainly be a bold statement to extend Escobar right now.  Might really ignite the team.  On the other hand, I'm not sure how Dozier would feel about it.  Not that the writing isn't on the wall, and Dozier/Escobar isn't exactly apples to apples.  Still.

• Mike Sixel and LA VIkes Fan like this

#10 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:18 PM

I wanted him extended before this, not because of this. He is well above average (imo) as a utility infielder and has been able to step in as a starter for long periods of time. While his defense may not be of a 'hot shot' variety, he makes the plays he should with minimal errors. I think that is highly valuable in the role he has played for us. And I want him to keep playing that role. I've been a fan of his long before this unbelievable explosion of a year he's having.

• luckylager, Mike Sixel, Loosey and 3 others like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#11 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:22 PM

1. Extend Eduardo Escobar

I know that this isn't a hot take or anything like that, but I think it needs to be said as much as it can. Eduardo Escobar is the 2nd best hitter in this lineup, and is playing out of his mind. He is leading the AL in doubles by 5, and the NL leader by 10. He is a good defensive third baseman (eye-test), and appears to be a fantastic guy in the clubhouse, if you're into that kind of stuff. Yes, he is probably having a career year, but I believe that Escobar is the guy the Twins need to go after the most aggressively. You can't let him walk. 

I'll just leave this here.Not to be one of those guys who claim to be an early adopter but. . . .

http://twinsdaily.co.../#commentsStart

#12 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

If Escobar is your 2B, what kind of offense would he need for you to extend him? Because I would like to pay Machado infinity to play 3B, and put Esco at 2B......and move Sano to 1B/DH.

I'm 100% on board with Escobar as 2nd baseman of the future.And % on board with Machado at 3rd base too.

• Carole Keller and Mike Sixel like this

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

I wanted him extended before this, not because of this. He is well above average (imo) as a utility infielder and has been able to step in as a starter for long periods of time. While his defense may not be of a 'hot shot' variety, he makes the plays he should with minimal errors. I think that is highly valuable in the role he has played for us. And I want him to keep playing that role. I've been a fan of his long before this unbelievable explosion of a year he's having.

Problem is he's performing better than a utility infielder. Which is a good problem to have, really... Until negotiation time this winter.
  • beckmt likes this

#14 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:03 PM

I'm 100% on board with Escobar as 2nd baseman of the future.And % on board with Machado at 3rd base too.

and mike trout in center field!

• Twinsbar107 likes this

#15 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:09 PM

Problem is he's performing better than a utility infielder. Which is a good problem to have, really... Until negotiation time this winter.

I'm okay with that. He's been asked to be more than a utility infielder, too ... not sure how it will all shake out and we'll have to wait and see, but he will be one I will be really, really sorry to see go if we don't sign him.

#16 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Lineups:

RED SOX

1. Mookie Betts (R ) RF
2. Andrew Benintendi (L) LF
3. Xander Bogaerts (R ) SS
4. J.D. Martinez (R ) DH
5. Mitch Moreland (L) 1B
6. Rafael Devers (L) 3B
7. Brock Holt (L) 2B
8. Christian Vazquez (R ) C
9. Jackie Bradley Jr. (L) CF

David Price (L) P

TWINS
1. Robbie Grossman (S) DH
2. Eddie Rosario (L) LF
3. Eduardo Escobar (S) 3B
4. Brian Dozier (R ) 2B
5. Logan Morrison (L) 1B
6. Ehire Adrianza (S) SS
7. Max Kepler (L) RF
8. Mitch Garver (R ) C
9. Ryan LaMarre (R ) CF

Lance Lynn (R ) P

• milldaddy35 likes this

#17 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:35 PM

Wow, that's an ugly lineup. Polanco comes back soon, no? 

#18 redstorm

redstorm

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:52 PM

See Hughes, Phil

Point taken, but it's tough to compare the situations. Hughes didn't need to be extended, and had been average at best the prior three years. Sure, Escobar has played out of his mind this year, but it's not like it's been out of nowhere, I'd take him back even if his OPS hovers around .750 next year. Also if the Twins want Escobar back, they're going to have to give him some form of a new contract, unlike with Hughes where it wasn't necessary.

• gil4 likes this

#19 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

I'm okay with that. He's been asked to be more than a utility infielder, too ... not sure how it will all shake out and we'll have to wait and see, but he will be one I will be really, really sorry to see go if we don't sign him.

Understood. He's a loveable guy so I get it. Even with this offensive explosion he's never really been a personal favorite of mine on the team. I'll be really sorry to see Joe Mauer ride off into the sunset, and mildly upset when Dozier leaves for greener pastures... Luckily we have Berrios to keep me happy!

#20 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,676 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

Wow, that's an ugly lineup. Polanco comes back soon, no?

That's what I said last night -- the Red Sox keep running that same stinky lineup out there
  • gil4 and Nine of twelve like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully