Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Is Paul Molitor the Right Man to Lead the Twins?

paul molitor
  • Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#141 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

Would it kill Molitor to show some emotion?

He displays the same stereotypical Minnesota stoic and emotionless demeanor that Joe Mauer gets ragged about. If you're going to coach or manage, give me some outward emotion, give me some passion. You're working with a bunch of young non-Minnesotans many of whom speak English as a second language; wearing your emotions on your sleeve should be a requirement in this case. Nobody outside of the upper midwest understands that when he stands on the top step of the dugout with a blank look on is face after the ump made a terrible call, that maybe he actually is upset. 

• USAFChief and Jerr like this

#142 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,409 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

1. Not the CEO, for sure. The "COO?" I don't know how else you describe him.

2. No, but I see plenty of signs of poor quality baseball, and illogical pitching moves. 

CQO, then.

• nicksaviking and wsnydes like this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelette.

#143 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,111 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

Would it kill Molitor to show some emotion?

He displays the same stereotypical Minnesota stoic and emotionless demeanor that Joe Mauer gets ragged about. If you're going to coach or manage, give me some outward emotion, give me some passion. You're working with a bunch of young non-Minnesotans many of whom speak English as a second language; wearing your emotions on your sleeve should be a requirement in this case. Nobody outside of the upper midwest understands that when he stands on the top step of the dugout with a blank look on is face after the ump made a terrible call, that maybe he actually is upset. 

It's the grim faced double time march out to the mound to remove his starter immediately after the starter has coughed up yet another late lead that gets me to utter more than a few "golly gee gosh darn it anyway"s.

• nicksaviking likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#144 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,111 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

CQO, then.

In my experience, if the CQO identifies issues with quality, it's the COO who answers for them.

• ashbury likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#145 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,409 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

In my experience, if the CQO identifies issues with quality, it's the COO who answers for them.

I don't actually think either analogy is perfectly apt. Unanswered is, COO "of what"? A COO usually reports to a CEO, or directly to a board. Dave St Peter is CEO of the Twins and has overall authority over everything related to the team, with underlings to work out the details of how many ushers to hire and how many hot dogs to order and which players to sign and which players to play. The organization doesn't have a COO - they have various C-level people, and Derek Falvey is CBO, probably the closest thing, the B being for Baseball. The manager might be thought of as "COO of the dugout and clubhouse and on-field activities", a more limited duty. Or, since quality of play is how he's measured, I suggested CQO. Maybe "manager" covers it after all.

Nomenclature aside, I think we agree the buck for certain things stops at the manager's desk. I would not be sorry to see someone else tried, but the extended contract probably rules that out as a practical expectation.

• Riverbrian and LA VIkes Fan like this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelette.

#146 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

I think the problem is that manager's impact is non-quantifiable. I think it's really unfair to say that a manager has little impact in the game.

Where did I use the term ‘little’ impact? I said overrated. And the reason is primarily that the game is played differently than it used to be. Basically sit around and wait for a couple of walks and a blast. Even today’s managers have said as much. Also, said the impact is still there...primarily revolving around bullpen moves...and that I don’t think the trend is Molly’s friend in that regard.

#147 frightwig

frightwig

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:18 PM

I just noticed that last year at this same point, the Twins were 39-34, but actually had been outscored by 38 runs.

This year, they have had some bad luck with injuries, but on the other hand, the substitutes at 3B and SS have been two of the best players in the lineup. And the -18 RD is an improvement on last season through Game 73, it's just that they're not coming through in the close games. In fact, at 3-13 in one-run games, they've been terrible. Why is that? Maybe that's where the little things like baserunning, executing in the field, and tactical management really make the difference, in this case, between a team bobbing around .500 and an already lost season.

And this underperformance has been going on for awhile. Yes, they played above their heads in the early going last year, but then down the stretch they were just 46-43 despite a +65 RD. And in 2016, the year of Total System Failure, I believe their BaseRuns record had them pegged at 72 wins, but of course they were 13 wins below their expected mark (or 7 wins below Pythag).

To be fair, he pulled a miracle out of that 2015 team--probably the luckiest bad team I've seen in my life--but in the past few seasons, I'd say that the team has been worse than it should be, more often than not.

• beckmt, LA VIkes Fan, Jham and 1 other like this

#148 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:30 PM

Molly is definitely a HOF player...........As a manager, I think it’s more of a Elizabethton type of situation.
  • Jerr likes this

#149 launchingthrees

launchingthrees

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:58 PM

Nobody outside of the upper midwest understands that when he stands on the top step of the dugout with a blank look on is face after the ump made a terrible call, that maybe he actually is upset. 

I honestly think his blank look is genuine confusion. 

#150 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:02 AM

I don't know what to think about Molitor, as the manager of the Twins going foward. Seems like button pushing is off or disconnected. Already a couple times this season he has held group pow wows with the Twins players about cleaning up base running mistakes, sloppy throws or throwing to the wrong base and the team ignores him. At least that seems to be impression I am getting. Ordorizzi pitching performances seem to have gone off the rails. 2018 has been frustrating as a fan because you see talent and how well they can play, then a stinker game or two where the bats go silent, or the pitching turns South like Ordorizzi game today. 1 step forward 2 steps back rinse repeat and spin wheels. Lineup has more cohesion with Mauer back but still struggling. When team turned corner a bit last year it was because Buxton and Sano turned it on at the plate and Dozier and Rosario got hot. That and Santana and Berrios started turning it on. That and Besile stabilized closer spot. Whatever worked to help last year is not working now. Not sure why we keep plucking minor league waiver claim signing, releases and roster fodder to fill 25 man and 40 man, at some point I would rather see them reward there own people with promotions then picking up leftovers off waivers. Got to try some ne wsss tactics, fill in starters and waiver claims not impacting team in a good way. I would like to see them mice on from Morrison, no good fit in lineup or on the field. He would fit better elsewhere. Time to start spinning off what you can, clearing the deck some. Twins teammates could really use a spark from Buxton and Sano. My fear is by the time they can contribute 2018 season will almost be over. This appears this will end up a disarisfting season that just refuses to come together. Escobar trying to will his team on but at some point even those with max effort can falter.

Edited by jaimedude2, 24 June 2018 - 12:25 AM.

#151 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:59 AM

Or on the struggles of individual players, or solely the W/L record.

I don't blame Tom Kelly for having losing seasons when given rosters that couldn't hope to compete. But even those teams played good baseball for the most part. They just weren't talented enough to win.

The Twins under Molitor don't play good/smart/fundamental baseball with regularity. 

The cru that the team played better fundametal baseball under a former manager and not now is one of the great I have no statistics to prove it arguments that show up when teams lose that have won in the past.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#152 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:47 AM

Yesterday, when Molitor voiced displeasure at Texas for stealing a base, in the 4th inning, speaks volumes to me. Unreal for a manager to have that kind of attitude. And it has to affect the teams desire to win and never give up. Never would have thought that of Molitor.

• Twins33, nicksaviking and Vanimal46 like this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#153 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:07 AM

Kapler got crucified for his first couple weeks in Philly. He adapted by allowing his starters a little more leeway and suddenly they are a better ballclub.

I haven't seen Molitor adapt or change anything since he's been here.

#154 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

It’s always hard to evaluate a baseball manager and it is particularly hard to evaluate Molitor given the very limited contributions this year from Sano, Buxton and Polanco, and the complete absence of Santana. Still, I do think there are three things that he has done so poorly that it should effect his job were it not for his very close relationship with the owner:

(1) He has been slow to react to poor performance by veteran players. He stuck way too long with Reed in a late inning role, left Dozier at the front of the order far too long, and it is still over playing Morrison, Belisle and Presley. I would include Wilson and Odorizzi on that list but he doesn’t have replacements on the roster for them so the Front Office has to take part of the blame for those guys being regular “contributors” to this sinking ship. This is a problem he has had ever since he’s been a manager. I think he is just too loyal and to set in his ways. This isn’t a factory where you can tolerate some performance slippage in long term employees. These guys have to bring it at a high-level every day and every year or they need to be replaced.

(2) Poor bullpen management. He has made decisions on defined roles for pitchers and has been stubborn about changing those roles when pitchers don’t perform. Again, the FO has to share in this a little because they haven’t brought up some of the younger players who might be able to fill those roles but I do think Molitor has to take most of the blame.

(3) Bad baserunning. There is no excuse for all of the outs this team makes on the bases. That’s something that a good manager should be able to fix. He hasn’t.

Look, I actually think Molitor could be a good manager with the right team of veterans who knew their roles, knew what was expected of them, and could consistently perform. Unfortunately, that’s not this team and it’s really not this team with all the injuries. This is a young, developing team that requires a much more hands-on, teaching approach combined with a willingness to reward good play and punish bad behavior and play. I just don’t think Molitor is that guy. I do think he is a good baseball man and could be in asset to the organization. I just don’t think is well-suited to be the manager of this team at this time.

I would kick him upstairs to a teaching and organizational role and replace him as a manager. I don’t know that we have a lot of managerial depth in the organization at this point so I would look outside.

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 24 June 2018 - 09:28 AM.

• beckmt likes this

#155 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,005 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

It’s always hard to evaluate a baseball manager and it is particularly hard to evaluate Molitor given the very limited contributions this year from Sano, Buxton and Polanco, and the complete absence of Santana. Still, I do think there are three things that he has done so poorly that it should effect his job were it not for his very close relationship with the owner:
(1) He has been slow to react to poor performance by veteran players. He stuck way too long with Reed in a late inning role, left Dozier at the front of the order far too long, and it is still over playing Morrison, Belisle and Presley. I would include Wilson and Odorizzi on that list but he doesn’t have replacements on the roster for them so the Front Office has to take part of the blame for those guys being regular “contributors” to this sinking ship. This is a problem he has had ever since he’s been a manager. I think he is just too loyal and to set in his ways. This isn’t a factory where you can tolerate some performance slippage in long term employees. These guys have to bring it at a high-level every day and every year or they need to be replaced.
(2) Poor bullpen management. He has made decisions on defined roles for pitchers and has been stubborn about changing those roles when pitchers don’t perform. Again, the FO has to share in this a little because they haven’t brought up some of the younger players who might be able to fill those roles but I do think Molitor has to take most of the blame.
(3) Bad baserunning. There is no excuse for all of the outs this team makes on the bases. That’s something that a good manager should be able to fix. He hasn’t.
Look, I actually think Molitor could be a good manager with the right team of veterans who knew their roles, knew what was expected of them, and could consistently perform. Unfortunately, that’s not this team and it’s really not this team with all the injuries. This is a young, developing team that requires a much more hands-on, teaching approach combined with a willingness to reward good play and punish bad behavior and play. I just don’t think Molitor is that guy. I do think he is a good baseball man and could be in asset to the organization. I just don’t think is well-suited to be the manager of this team at this time.
I would kick him upstairs to a teaching and organizational role and replace him as a manager. I don’t know that we have a lot of managerial depth in the organization at this point so I would look outside.

1) .......Dozier is a perfect example of some of the problems. I am sort of a "dance with the one who brung you" type of manager fan. I have never been crazy aboout trying to ride a hot streak by a sub optimal player. To me it seems like day trading stocks. A day late, and several dollars short. But the Dozier thing is a perfect example of blind loyalty. I doubt there is anything Dozier could do to lose his upper half of the order position for over a day. And it looks like the next example is Belisle. Which begs Brian's question. Who exactly wanted Matt Belisle on this roster, this year. He just does not fit.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#156 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,712 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:01 PM

No. The hbp yesterday is the last straw for me.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paul molitor