Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Week in Review: DEFCON 1

miguel sano eddie rosario eduardo escobar kyle gibson alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,449 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:19 AM

Frustrating and bewildering point for me.How many times do we get men on second or third, or both with zero or one outs and we can't advance those runners? 

The situational stats at b-r.com for this season don't directly answer your question, but Twins' batting average and slugging average with men on base are both better than with bases empty, and even better still when runners are in scoring position. This lines up pretty much with league averages, except that the Twins RISP numbers are even a little bit favorable.

Twins: https://www.baseball...m=MIN&year=2018

MLB: https://www.baseball...g=MLB&year=2018

We couldn't afford fire alarms, so Dad hung Jiffy Pop over the doors.

#22 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

With Kepler's struggles, Buxton's uncertainty, and the underwhelming contributions from Grossman, Lamarre, and Cave, a quality veteran OFer would be on my wishlist.

A quality veteran OFer (really, a CFer) has been on my wishlist for at least the past two offseasons. It will be again this coming offseason.

#23 Thebigalguy

Thebigalguy

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the very good situation report. Given how much the offense produced in the last two months of 2017, I didn't understand the decision to fire the hitting coach and bring in Rowson, and now I'm even more perplexed. Does anybody know? Is it a "fortunate son" situation? Did the previous coach resist the new emphasis on technology and computer analysis? As for Buxton and Sano, I have more faith in the B-man, given his attitude and work ethic, than in Sano, and hope the demotion straightens him out. Yesterday I was on the elliptical at the gym watching the game and the runners left on base almost every inning were hard to witness. Second and third, nobody out. Result? Zilch. I turned off the monitor on my machine and instead listened to the wonderful music of the Be Good Tanyas. Doing so improved my mood tenfold. 

#24 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the very good situation report. Given how much the offense produced in the last two months of 2017, I didn't understand the decision to fire the hitting coach and bring in Rowson, and now I'm even more perplexed. Does anybody know? Is it a "fortunate son" situation? Did the previous coach resist the new emphasis on technology and computer analysis? 

Rowson actually came aboard prior to last year. It was the pitching coach (Garvin Alston) who was hired this past winter, and so far his impact appears positive.

• ashburyjohn, James, ThejacKmp and 6 others like this

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

Its been said, but this team could use a Shannon Stewart type spark.

Hey, Stewart himself is 9 months younger than Bartolo Colon!

• mikelink45, Tom Froemming, Doctor Wu and 1 other like this

#26 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:14 AM

Hey, Stewart himself is 9 months younger than Bartolo Colon!

Turns out Stewart is two months younger than me...which means that despite Ichiro's temporary retirement, there is still a professional baseball player older than me!  It's almost like that thing from The Polar Express, where I can still hear Santa's magic bell ringing.

#27 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,449 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

How many times do we get men on second or third, or both with zero or one outs and we can't advance those runners?

The situational stats at b-r.com for this season don't directly answer your question, but ..

OK, so while I had those pages up, I looked some more, and something popped out at me.

Leading off innings, the Twins' on-base percentage this season has been .292, instead of their overall .313. Across the majors, those numbers are .307 and .316 respectively. A bit of a drop.

Leading off the game, Twins' OBP is even worse, .265, and for the majors it's .319 (you'd indeed expect it to be higher since the first inning is the only one the manager ordinarily exerts direct control over).

It's not just Brian Dozier; his 50 times leading off the game have resulted in just 13 successes, but the 18 PA by other batters have led to 5 successes for only a .277 OBP.

We're now down to small sample size, but that's a deficit of 4 first-inning rallies that were at best deferred until 2 outs remained. Obviously, that's not enough to account for anything actually meaningful over the course of a season - on average a couple of runs or so, going by long-term proability tables. But with this team, I think it's going to be little things like this that add up to the lack of situational offensive punch.

#28 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,838 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

Apathy is setting in for this team. Hard to get worked up anymore when this is what they do week in and week out.

They gave Morrison 2.5 months to figure it out and he's still playing bad. It's time to get rid of him.

Kepler's struggles against RH pitching is something no one wants to talk about. They don't have 9 MLB-ready replacements on the farm. I guess just let him try to hit through the slump.

Overall, players go through slumps. But what's completely befuddling is the whole team just isn't hitting. Yes, there are some bright spots but not enough to carry the team.

The way things are going, opposing managers might just as well walk Rosario and Escobar and take their chances with the rest of the lineup.

• jun likes this

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,443 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

Thinking of the letter "C", whatever happened to Chris Colabello?

When he cleaned up he became much less of a clean up hitter

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#30 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,489 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:33 AM

Dozier looks like he needs a stint in A ball.
  • Thrylos, Blake and jun like this

#31 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,722 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:04 AM

Dozier looks like he needs a stint in A ball.

So does everyone else not named Ed, Joe, and Ehire...

#32 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

Here’s my question. What makes people think Carter would be better than Morrison? Morrison has basically the same numbers at the MLB level as Carter at AAA.
  • Twins33, TheLeviathan, jun and 2 others like this

#33 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

Here’s my question. What makes people think Carter would be better than Morrison? Morrison has basically the same numbers at the MLB level as Carter at AAA.

I don't think he will be better, but you can't let Morrison get to his vesting option. So you will need to make a move with him.

#34 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:36 AM

I don't think he will be better, but you can't let Morrison get to his vesting option. So you will need to make a move with him.

Morrison is currently on pace for 574 PA, and he needs 600 PA for the 2019 option to vest. So you don't necessarily have to make a move with him, and certainly not yet with only 241 PA.

If the rest of the lineup picks up, so Morrison is accumulating more PAs, and he's still ineffective -- then you will probably have better options than Carter to take PA away from Morrison.

• wsnydes likes this

#35 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,722 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:36 AM

If he keeps hitting like this, have no fear... He won't hit the goal he needs to achieve to get the vesting option.

Once Sano is done with his intervention I'm guessing he'll be the primary 1B/DH going forward

#36 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

As we discuss alternatives to Morrison at DH, I will note that Hanley Ramirez is still sitting out there in free agency. Seems inexplicable that he hasn't signed anywhere after Boston released him nearly three weeks ago. 

#37 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,449 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

As we discuss alternatives to Morrison at DH, I will note that Hanley Ramirez is still sitting out there in free agency. Seems inexplicable that he hasn't signed anywhere after Boston released him nearly three weeks ago. 

Maybe other teams also read what I keep coming back to in MLBTR when Hanley was released:

"Dombrowski says Cora assuaged any worry that bumping Ramirez would harm chemistry in the clubhouse."

It's hard to get a GM to be more direct than that.

Or perhaps other teams have their own sources too. :)

• TheLeviathan likes this

#38 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,443 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

The club's biggest problem child was sent packing after Thursday's loss in Detroit.

Unfortunately he did not.

Dozier last 2 weeks:.098/.196/.171 .
Dozier with men on season: .226/.234/.371

Sano last 2 weeks: .167/.219/.233
Sano with men on season: .263/.296/.500

Facts.

Edited by Thrylos, 18 June 2018 - 12:25 PM.

• Mike Sixel and jun like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#39 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

Morrison is definitely disappointing, but with some mercy from the BABIP gods (.218 this season, career mark entering this season was .273), he would have a roughly league average batting line right now, even without the power.

Ramirez would need to regain his power to top that, and he's further removed from plus power than Morrison.

#40 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:37 PM

Complete and utter aside.

I was reading an article about Mike Trout and started playing around with his stats on Baseball Reference. Turns out the AL team (interleague has small sample so excluding NL teams) he has the hardest time with is the Twins. However, this year we only have two payers (Rosario and Escobar) with a higher OPS than Trout has against the Twins (.873). And we're the team he plays the worst against.

That's crazy. Mike Trout. It's sad the Angels seem to be intent on wasting his talents.

• ashburyjohn, Blake, Twins33 and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, eddie rosario, eduardo escobar, kyle gibson, alex kirilloff