Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: MIN 9, CLE 3: That’s Our Eddie

eddie rosario eduardo escobar joe mauer logan morrison matt magill
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,107 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

Give Escobar a 2 year 16M deal.  Can put him at 3b, ss, or 2b depending on where we need him.

• CUtomorrownight and rdehring like this

#22 PATwinsfan

PATwinsfan

Elizabethton Twins

• 15 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:32 PM

I'd extend him, but not sure that's enough. Might be more like 2 years, 20 million. But that sets him up where if he keeps playing at this level over the course of that extension, he could get a decent payday.

I really hope the FO does everything they can to buy out a couple years of FA on Rosario and Berrios as well. I'd try Buxton again too.

#23 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,526 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:27 AM

An encouraging last couple of days, after a discouraging last week and a half or so...

And we've got reinforcements coming in soon- Polanco is nearing a return, Gordon is on the horizon (hopefully), Joe is back already and who's to say Bux and Sano don't get straightened out somewhat in the next month or so?

Which is exactly why you need a manager who isn't giving away winnable games, burning out pitchers, and and keeping the team as close as possible in the pennant chase.

O-Z!O-Z! O-Z!

#24 Broker

Broker

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 178 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minn.

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:45 AM

This is the way I expected the Twins to play.

• bighat likes this

#25 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,746 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:43 AM

Cleveland seems to be a sub-par defensive team with some serious bullpen issues.They can be caught if we ever get our act together.

I'm more worried about the Fightin' Gardies.

• Monkeypaws and mikelink45 like this

#26 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,517 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:04 AM

Don’t look now, but Eddie Rosario in the month of June has more homeruns than strikeouts. Not coincidentally, and perhaps more importantly, he also has more walks than strikeouts in June.
  • SQUIRREL, USAFChief, snepp and 3 others like this

#27 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,517 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:14 AM

Esco is 23rd in the league in WAR, and 17th in OPS. He’ll be 30 before next year starts. This is his payday, so if you think he’s signing a two year deal for less aav than what Lance Lynn got this year, you’re crazy. I assume the conversation starts at 3/45, and you could probably get him for anywhere from 2/36 to 5/65. I’d go with 3/45, and call it a day with Mr. Dozier.
  • 70charger likes this

#28 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,067 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:15 AM

E-D-D-I-E!

And I agree with all who believe we also need to extend Escobar and Berrios.

Isn't today's game huge?Win it and we are 3 games out vs. 5.That could be the spark that ignites the team for a run like last year.

I am of the opinion that Romero is very talented with a wonderful future.With his stuff, he could turn into a true ACE.But he is also very young and inexperienced.For that reason, I expect when/if Santana gets back in the next 30 days, Romero will be sent back to Rochester.Start him every 6th game to limit his innings, or even move him to the bullpen in late August.Then bring him back in September for spot action or limited bullpen duty during the playoff chase.Obviously, if Santana doesn't return or they trade someone in July, he would need to remain with the Twins.

• bighat likes this

#29 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,739 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:20 AM

I feel like I have seen Mauer nail a pitcher hard more than anyone. 

He's just one of those type of hitters. Mauer's timing is so good, his fundamentals so sound, that he lines a ton of pitches straight back to the mound. Thank goodness it's players like Mauer that do it, rather than guys like Harper, Encarnacion, Stanton, etc. I'm sure that's small consolation to Cookie Carasco right now.

#30 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,900 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:37 AM

He won't keep up this kind of production, but Rosario is on pace for something like 112 runs, 39 homers, 122 RBI, and 15 steals in 18 attempts.

Just a little perspective on how incredible he's been this year. That would be one of the best Twins' seasons of all time, and probably land him in the top 2-3 for MVP votes.

I'd love to see his stats over the previous 162.

#31 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,831 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

It's becoming increasingly obvious that at this stage of their careers Escobar is a better player than Dozier. Better hitter, more versatile defender since Dozier's arm is so weak that he can only play 2B. Moreover, right now Adrianza is a better player this year than Dozier. That's right, Adrianza.Much better fielder and about as good of a hitter (Dozier OPS+ 106, Adrianza 100). Plus, Adrianza can play SS and Dozier can't play anything but 2B. 

Based on the second half of last year and this year, seems like the effort has to be resign Escobar and make him the primary 3B. Sano moves to 1B/DH with Mauer for this year (if Sano comes back up this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't) and next. Keep Dozier if he will sign for a team friendly amount and years, if not Polanco goes to 2B and Adrianza is the SS going forward with Gordon the UTL next year. The odd men out are Morrison and Vargas unless Morrison can somehow become a back up OF and get 3-4 games a week between DH, IB (when Sano plays 3B), and OF.  

• SQUIRREL likes this

#32 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,165 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:34 AM

Just not pitching too great. Couple early homers, getting hit hard, and it was a two-run game when he was pulled.

Thanks I was wondering the same thing, but why have him up if you aren't going to let him pitch though things like this?

#33 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,240 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

Thanks I was wondering the same thing, but why have him up if you aren't going to let him pitch though things like this?

Not in a winnable game when they still think they are a playoff competitor.
In that case you play to win, not for development.

#34 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,165 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:43 AM

Not in a winnable game when they still think they are a playoff competitor.
In that case you play to win, not for development.

it was a 5 - 3 games, and he wasn't given a chance to come out in the 5th after only 63 pitches, IMO you have to give them guys a chance. Unless of course they are trying to extend his season by limiting his pitches and/or innings.

The look on Odorizz face when he gave up a hit in the 5th, looked like he was expecting to be taken out. Trying to perfect could take a toll on the pitchers.

Edited by Tomj14, 18 June 2018 - 11:45 AM.

#35 spycake

spycake

• 17,977 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

it was a 5 - 3 games, and he wasn't given a chance to come out in the 5th after only 63 pitches, IMO you have to give them guys a chance.

Top of the order was due up for the 3rd time vs Romero. And Lindor already had a HR and a single, and Ramirez a HR...

• USAFChief and Mike Sixel like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario, eduardo escobar, joe mauer, logan morrison, matt magill