Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/15): Blankenhorn Blasts Way To Derby Title

travis blankenhorn royce lewis kohl stewart trey cabbage jose miranda
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:08 PM

The front office baffles me.  Theres things that they do that I absolutely love and others that I cant stand. I think they are still at a net positive but I can understand other peoples frustrations.

• D.C Twins likes this

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

How do they go about constructing a better AAA roster? 

They brought in one pitcher who they had no problem dealing quickly when the guys moved up from AA (which we wanted). Their bullpen is stacked.

They hand-picked a right-handed outfielder capable of playing all three OF positions well (LaMarre) and he's contributed. 

They brought in a bunch of solid veteran utility infielder types (Petit, Featherston) who were depth moves. They brought in Aybar too, though he left after he wasn't going to make the team (and still hasn't signed with anyone, I don't think). 

They brought in a veteran, defensive, team-minded catcher like Wilson as depth. And Astudillo has been good.

They acquired Jake Cave, who still has potential. They had Zack Granite. They kept Vargas who is still fairly young. They've added Chris Carter, who led the NL with 41 HR two years ago. 

They moved up Gonsalves and Littell quickly. Gordon was up within two months. 

I don't know what better players they could have convinced to sign a AAA contract and be a depth piece.

I hear you Seth and won't disagree entirely. I liked the Cave move. Being able to bring back Vargas, who I have been a supporter of in the past, seemed nice. But Carter was an afterthought.

Wilson seemed smart, and would be smarter without the Castro injury.

Petit and Featherstone just don't move the needle for me. They fill out the Rochester roster, but just didn't feel they offered legitimate depth. Maybe he just wanted to move on, but Goodrum would have been a real nice re-sign to me.

Maybe money vs opportunity just didn't line up. I would have liked to see a Buscher type, or an Aybar sticking around. I just felt there was enough of a depth/opportunity situation to bring in a couple more experienced AAAA guys for depth.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:53 PM

I hear you Seth and won't disagree entirely. I liked the Cave move. Being able to bring back Vargas, who I have been a supporter of in the past, seemed nice. But Carter was an afterthought. Wilson seemed smart, and would be smarter without the Castro injury. Petit and Featherstone just don't move the needle for me. They fill out the Rochester roster, but just didn't feel they offered legitimate depth. Maybe he just wanted to move on, but Goodrum would have been a real nice re-sign to me. Maybe money vs opportunity just didn't line up. I would have liked to see a Buscher type, or an Aybar sticking around. I just felt there was enough of a depth/opportunity situation to bring in a couple more experienced AAAA guys for depth.

The Twins definitely wanted Goodrum back, but not on the 40-man roster... Detroit swooped in quickly, and he knew he'd have a better opportunity there. He stayed with the Twins organization a year after he could have already. 

Brian Buscher? I mean, I just don't know how any organization can fill a AAA roster with "needle movers."If they were needle movers, they'd probably get MLB deals. I just think they filled with very useful pieces. I didn't even mention Magill, a guy who was a failed starter who clearly has a chance to be a solid long reliever. 

Aybar wasn't deemed as good as Featherston, Reginnato, Petit and others, so I don't get why him sticking around would be better.

• Han Joelo likes this

#24 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,518 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:48 AM

Polanco's return appears to be delayed due to an off-field injury involving a car door.

He cut his finger. I read that while his rehab start date might be pushed back, they still expect his return to the big club on July 2nd.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#25 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

That said, I'd argue the "quality" AAA depth they brought in was really more quantity.

Cave was a decent pick-up, retaining Vargas was an OK depth move at the time, and Carter is a low-risk move that could help should something happen to Mauer and/or Morrison.

The rest though? AAA depth is great, but wouldn't you want that depth to be able to contribute something should the situation arise? 

Honestly, Petit, Featherston, Wilson, and Aybar aren't guys that could do that. It gives Rochester a handful of former MLBers to promote, but are they capable of doing anything at the MLB level? The same could be said for LaMarre (Mr. Great Story). He's acceptable in the field, but his bat is pretty atrocious. 

The problem isn't that these kinds of guys are around, it's that they're so prevalent and the next line of defense when starters go down.

If the injury call-ups are going to be bad, I'd rather watch a young guy be bad than an older one with no future.

#26 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

That makes sense in theory, but if there's a guy who's ready to step right in to the major league team and start contributing, why is he in the Twins' AAA system? I'd guess that the guys who are forced to take minor league deals are forced to take minor league deals for a reason. I'd also guess that every AAA team is full of quantity over quality.

Do you have suggestions for players they could have taken instead of the ones you named? I'm imagine there are better options out there with the benefit of hindsight. Anyone out there now you could grab for depth?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: travis blankenhorn, royce lewis, kohl stewart, trey cabbage, jose miranda