Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

NBA Offseason 2018

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#161 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

The NBA is certainly popular and most people turn to look at a car wreck.

Doesn't make it "the best" though.
  • PseudoSABR and SF Twins Fan like this

#162 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:13 PM

This stuff moves the dial. The NBA is the best. The best. You’re all captivated. This is the highest traction this thread (nay, section) has ever had.

Absolutely. If this drama wasn't happening off the court I would have zero interest in the league.

It is fun to hear about which stars are going to team up together, and where they're going to sign.

In some ways I wish baseball took a page out of the NBA's playbook and made their stars more known to casual sports fans.

#163 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:07 PM

They do... If they play for the Yankees, red socks, Dodgers or cubs. That's like, the whole mlb....
Do or do not. There is no try.

#164 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:19 PM

It would help if Trout wanted to be public......and if the unwritten rules didn't prevent more of it.

I want something between the NBA and MLB. I think the NFL is closer,....

• Vanimal46 likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#165 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:13 AM

I am appreciating how blunt our local media is being.Souhan was now spot on.

#166 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

This is a walk in the park for Souhan and Reusse to make him into a villain. I heard another angle to the story and I think there's good logic behind the theory.

Butler obviously wanted a trade because he thinks KAT and Wiggins are lazy and won't play defense. Since now it appears he's stuck with the team he made a last stand to get it in KAT and Wiggins' heads that their lazy play on defense is not acceptable. And flat out embarrassed them in the process. Thibs didn't stop it because he loves it and knows it's true. He can't get through to the young kids, and allowed Butler to do this in order to lit a fire under them.
  • Pardon My Dinger likes this

#167 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

This is a walk in the park for Souhan and Reusse to make him into a villain. I heard another angle to the story and I think there's good logic behind the theory.

Butler obviously wanted a trade because he thinks KAT and Wiggins are lazy and won't play defense. Since now it appears he's stuck with the team he made a last stand to get it in KAT and Wiggins' heads that their lazy play on defense is not acceptable. And flat out embarrassed them in the process. Thibs didn't stop it because he loves it and knows it's true. He can't get through to the young kids, and allowed Butler to do this in order to lit a fire under them.

The part where this fails.....is that it's a plan with no upside.Butler coming at the end of practice on fresh legs to show up his teammates accomplishes nothing.  

Butler is the villain.He was also an emerging villain at the end of his Chicago run too.Souhan's right...he's two-faced and Thibs is being pulled along for the ride. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#168 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:16 AM

In Souhan's article specifically he calls Butler a fraud for claiming he wants to win and chose teams like the Nets, Knicks, etc. to get traded to. But he failed to mention those teams have a boat load of cap room where he can recruit Kyrie Irving, Durant, or another star FA to play with him.

#169 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:18 AM

In Souhan's article specifically he calls Butler a fraud for claiming he wants to win and chose teams like the Nets, Knicks, etc. to get traded to. But he failed to mention those teams have a boat load of cap room where he can recruit Kyrie Irving, Durant, or another star FA to play with him.

I don't think that point is misguided at all.He'd be at least two years away from racking up the wins he could this year by buying into the Wolves.

He's totally fraudulant on that.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#170 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:19 AM

Absolutely. If this drama wasn't happening off the court I would have zero interest in the league.

It is fun to hear about which stars are going to team up together, and where they're going to sign.

In some ways I wish baseball took a page out of the NBA's playbook and made their stars more known to casual sports fans.

I think the league got lucky, I think the current state of affairs has more to do with the advertisers. Nike, Coke and McDonalds have made the NBA players big time and advertisers haven't looked back since they started it all by milking Jordan. Who knows where the NBA popularity and marketing power would be at now if the league hadn't had such a transcendent player like MJ. NBA players took a backseat to the NFL and MLB in the marketing pecking order before he showed up.

#171 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:28 AM

He also barely even touched on the fact that Thibs has known Butler was screaming for a trade for the last three months and plugged his ears. Butler may be the bad guy here, but Thibs needs to be held accountable for knowing nothing about a guy who he was publicly painting as the team's savior and then letting everyone continue to believe he was still the savior long after Thibs knew better.

• PseudoSABR, Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

#172 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:05 PM

He also barely even touched on the fact that Thibs has known Butler was screaming for a trade for the last three months and plugged his ears. Butler may be the bad guy here, but Thibs needs to be held accountable for knowing nothing about a guy who he was publicly painting as the team's savior and then letting everyone continue to believe he was still the savior long after Thibs knew better.

Thibs is in the wrong for ignoring his request, no doubt. But let's be honest, the T-Wolves were irrelevant before Butler showed up, and they'll be irrelevant again if they trade him away. Without him he won't have a job, and probably won't get another HC job in the NBA. So this is his last stand too, and begged Butler to stick with him through the season.
  • Mike Sixel and SF Twins Fan like this

#173 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

Isn't the hallmark of a truly great coach the ability to maximize talent? I'm not sure Thibs can do that.

With Levine and Maarkanen on this team instead of Butler, they could be relevant.

#174 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:42 PM

Isn't the hallmark of a truly great coach the ability to maximize talent? I'm not sure Thibs can do that.

With Levine and Maarkanen on this team instead of Butler, they could be relevant.

Thibs can’t coach in 2018. I don’t think there’s any chance his brand of outdated basketball philosophy and yelling/screaming grumblecore could ever connect with millennial players.
  • nicksaviking, TheLeviathan and SF Twins Fan like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#175 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

Man, am I looking forward to the rest of this week! Lake Show starts Wednesday, sandwiched inbetween the t wolves clown party Wednesday and Friday. I am so happy.

#176 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

Jimmy is going to drop 50 on the Cavs on Friday in MPLS.

#177 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

Man, am I looking forward to the rest of this week! Lake Show starts Wednesday, sandwiched inbetween the t wolves clown party Wednesday and Friday. I am so happy.

Who is Lake replacing?

#178 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

Who is Lake replacing?

Dood. Lakers, doo.’

#179 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:31 PM

Couldn’t decide how to transcribe a Henry Lake style ‘Dude.’ Please advise.

#180 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

Dood. Lakers, doo.’

Ah, sorry.I heard Henry Lake was back on KFAN and I was secretly hoping they fired Paul Allen.