Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: DET 3, MIN 1: Lynn Overexposed, Offense Overmatched

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:06 PM

Lance Lynn did his job, but things went poorly when he was asked to put in overtime. Lynn held the Tigers scoreless over his first six innings, giving up just three hits in the process. He went back out for the seventh and gave up three runs on a triple, a sac fly, a hit by pitch and a home run. The homer was from JaCoby Jones, who had a career .586 OPS heading into today, and it came on Lynn’s 114th pitch of the afternoon.Snapshot (chart via FanGraphs)
Current record: 29-36
Lance Lynn: 62 Game Score, 6.2 IP, 3 ER, 9 K, 1 BB, 66.7% strikes
Bullpen: 1.1 IP, 0 ER, 1 K, 0 BB
Lineup: 1-for-4 w/RISP, 6 LOB
Top three per WPA: Garver .044, Duke .023, Escobar .013
Download attachment: chart.png
Like it or not, it’s unrealistic to expect a starter to continue to perform after he’s pitched six innings or eclipsed 100 pitches. At that point, he’s been overexposed. You put him out there for more and you're playing with fire. Maybe it works out, but the risk is probably not worth it, especially when your team is holding a one-run lead, as the Twins were after six innings on Thursday afternoon.

A lot of fans will reject that premise. Players too, as we know Lynn himself has said pitch counts are worthless. It’s a debate that will go on, but it certainly appeared today that the Twins would’ve been better off going to a fresh bullpen arm for the seventh. Matt Magill, who has a 1.31 ERA and 0.92 WHIP in 13 appearances, hasn't pitched in more than a week.

Or maybe the Twins are just doomed no matter how they manage the pitching staff.

The offense mustered just one run and it came in the first inning. It was scored by Eddie Rosario and driven in by Eduardo Escobar. Bet you would’ve never predicted that, huh?

The Twins only tallied six hits and drew one walk. Both Brian Dozier and Logan Morrison were 0-for-4 with a pair of strikeouts. Max Kepler was 0-for-3 with a walk and also had a pair of strikeouts, bad zone or no bad zone. Miguel Sano was on the bench, even when he could've pinch hit for Jake Cave in the ninth inning.

The Twins have won just three of their last nine games as they head to Cleveland for a three-game series.

AL Central Standings
CLE 35-31
DET 33-37 (-4)
MIN 29-36 (-5.5)
CHW 24-42 (-11)
KC 22-46 (-14)

Next Three Games
Fri at CLE, 6:10 pm (Gibson vs. Kluber)
Sat at CLE, 3:10 pm (Romero vs. Carrasco)
SUN at CLE, 12:10 pm (Odorizzi vs. Plutko)

Last Three Games
DET 5, MIN 2: Bulldog Berrios and the Addison Reed Experience
MIN 6, DET 4: More Grand Slams, Please
MIN 7, LAA 5: Jake Cave Sparks a Fire

More From Twins Daily
Miguel Sano Optioned to Ft. Myers
Twins Minor League Report (6/13): Lookouts Pace the Action
Twins Daily Roundtable: Romero's Innings
Twins Sign Belisle: What Does This Mean?

Click here to view the article
  • nicksaviking likes this

#2 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

Sano and Cave optioned.That's sending a message.I'd rather see Lamarre optioned as I think Cave is hitting the ball hard and hustling, but Sano needs to get his head on straight.

• Carole Keller, Jerr, mickeymental and 2 others like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#3 jun

jun

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:17 PM

This guy Cave has no patience to work for better pitches to hit. This is the second time I noticed he hit the first pitch he saw and then flied out to end the game. I would never let him pinch hit ever. Think about it, he might be worse than Dozier in clutch situation.

#4 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,346 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:18 PM

Sano and Cave optioned. That's sending a message. I'd rather see Lamarre optioned as I think Cave is hitting the ball hard and hustling, but Sano needs to get his head on straight.

Didn’t check the news ... who’s coming up? Assume Mauer but haven’t heard.
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

• Jerr likes this

#6 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:22 PM

Please be Gordon. Please.

#7 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 971 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:22 PM

Wow Sano sent to high A ball, Ft. Myers...that's the report. Mauer replaces Sano, not sure who comes up for Cave.

#8 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

Is this real?!!

#9 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

Needs to be an infielder. Motter is on the 40. Gordon hasn’t done that well in AAA.

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

Is this real?!!

Yep. Multiple reporters posted the same thing. Good. He's been flat out embarrassing the entire season.
  • Dantes929 likes this

#11 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 2,994 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

Didn’t check the news ... who’s coming up? Assume Mauer but haven’t heard.

Mauer activated in Sano's spot.Haven't seen anything on Cave yet.

• Carole Keller likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#12 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

Wow, who would've that Escobar would basically beat out Sano for the 3B job. Yet that's exactly what he did. Based on performance, this is the right decision.No reason to keep Sano around as a part-time 1B/DH. Get him with someone that can help him and play him every day. 

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#13 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:46 PM

Twins don’t have a lot of choices, if you look at the 40 man. I think it’s time to try Chris Carter, and I can’t believe I just said that. And he is not on 40 man, either. But team needs a jolt!
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#14 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

Nick Gordon at AAA - .671 OPS, 2.2% BB Rate, 87 wRC+, 4 Errors in 183 innings

No thanks.

#15 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:52 PM

It's crazy to say, but Morrison's awfulness is flying under the radar thanks to all the other drama going on. 

He looked like he was picking it up through mid May but he's been flat out terrible for a month since then. I get that if the Twins sat everybody who wasn't hitting they couldn't field a team but damn, Morrison in the middle of the order is a black hole.

Also, I'm not big on the intangibles or "light a fire," thing but after the home plate ump got in Kepler's face and then proceeded to ring him up on 2 consecutive horrible strike calls, the last of which was clearly retaliation for Kepler saying something about the first, it would've been nice to see both Kepler and Molitor go at him. Neither has anything to lose in that scenario and the ump was blatantly crossing a line, I wish they would've checked him rather than lying down. 

• wavedog, Danchat, jun and 7 others like this

#16 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,843 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

I asked this in the game thread, I'll ask again here.

I wonder how many times Molitor has removed a starter, after the 5th inning, immediately after the starter gives up a tieing or go ahead run.

He's possibly the worst manager I've ever seen at waiting until the damage has been done before the grim faced trudge out to the mound to take the ball.

• Danchat, adorduan, Doomtints and 3 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#17 S.

S.

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

He's possibly the worst manager

He is certainly trying his damnedest to make that true.

#18 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

A few things from today:

1. I think it's becoming safer to call the Twins sellers. The only thing that might save their season is a sweep in Cleveland, or at least a convincing series win. Now more than ever, though, it looks like 2018 is probably not a playoff year.

2. If you want to start to point fingers at Paul Molitor, you have every reason to.

3. Sanó has come to a crossroads. He can put up or shut up. Hopefully this is the message that needed to be sent for his own good.

#19 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

Replacing a guy that has been horrible with a great hitter.I expect better but still need Buxton and Polanco and Dozier to show up.These losses late after a good win Tuesday really hurts.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#20 jun

jun

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

If you have the talent and don't work hard to produce, you will be demoted. Cave and Sano are perfect examples.