Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: DET 5, MIN 2: Bulldog Berrios and the Addison Reed Experience

jose berrios eduardo escobar ryan pressly addison reed
  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:09 AM

Put Reed on the DL. Something is broken, either mentally or physically. Hildy should be the 8th inning guy period. And get Grossman tf off this team already and get Wade or Gordon up here. 

• mikelink45, David HK, jud6312 and 2 others like this

#22 Eris

Eris

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:50 AM

Since the 2016 season Addison Reed has 189 appearances which is 1 less than Bryan Shaw. Data is from fangraphs. He is among the the most overworked pitchers in MLB for 3 years. I think the current results while disappointing, are very predictable.
  • Steve Lein, Oldgoat_MN and 70charger like this

#23 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,844 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:17 AM

per gleeman:

Brian Dozier in "close and late" spots:
2014 - .177 AVG
2015 - .229 AVG
2016 - .177 AVG
2017 - .176 AVG
2018 - .159 AVG
Career - .195 AVG
Not only is his .195 AVG the worst in Twins history, it's the worst in MLB history among all players with at least as many plate appearances.

We know he will get hot sooner or later, but we keep talking about Sano and Buxton torpedoing our season...

This is one decision (by not signing Dozier this last off season) where I applaud the FO. Our offense is bad!!!!

This has been my grumble for years about Dozier. There normally nothing wrong with his end of the year stats, but he has never seemed to perform well in the clutch. It's why I was never an advocate for him as a middle of the order hitter. It's probably the only agreement that the MOY and I have.
  • jun and ken like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#24 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:17 AM

Geez fine, I can read between the lines. Pressly can pitch every day if that's what you really want.

You say that as if it wasn't already the case!:)

• Oldgoat_MN, h2oface and Tomj14 like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#25 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,844 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:34 AM

If you take a look at this lineup it's amazing they win any games. Dozier, Sano, Morrison are doing basically nothing. Buxton was not either and is injured. Mauer was, and is injured. Kepler really cooled off. The production from Wilson, Adrianza, Garver, RG and whoever else is up for the week is as expected. It's only the two ED's keeping them afloat. And sooner or later they have to cool off, it's almost unavoidable. It's really a sorry state. Without the improvement in the SP we would be last in the Central, and that takes some serious doing. They are almost becoming unwatchable. It will take a miracle or Dozier, Sano and Buxton to all recover their mojo at the same time. But there really isnt an alternative.
  • wavedog, Oldgoat_MN, jun and 3 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#26 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,301 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:48 AM

Put Reed on the DL. Something is broken, either mentally or physically. Hildy should be the 8th inning guy period. And get Grossman tf off this team already and get Wade or Gordon up here.

Those are nice secondary moves. Getting a new manager would be primary for me.
  • Jerr, h2oface, jun and 3 others like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#27 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:51 AM

Reed has certainly been unreliable of late, but this outing was more unfortunate than purely bad pitching. Unlike the other recent outings full of walks, HBP and long balls, Reed was actually getting ahead of most the hitters and then giving up weak, seeing-eye contact on what always seemed to be an 0-2 pitch. He's been frustrating to watch, but this appearance isn't a microcosm of his struggles.
  • wsnydes likes this

#28 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,301 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:51 AM

This has been my grumble for years about Dozier. There normally nothing wrong with his end of the year stats, but he has never seemed to perform well in the clutch. It's why I was never an advocate for him as a middle of the order hitter. It's probably the only agreement that the MOY and I have.

I’ve been advocating they move him to the 7th or 8th spot until he starts hitting.
  • jun, tarheeltwinsfan, Platoon and 1 other like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#29 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

It would be great if the Twins had Palka and Goodrum instead of Grossman and Adrianza. Palka can really hit and have serious power. Goodrum is a super utility guy with some good pop.

I do not think the Twins smart guys ever talked about Niko and many laughed when Gardy grabbed him!Who wants Palka went you have have Grossman and Morrison?And now we grab Belisle instead of a minor leaguer and leave Gordon in the minors.What is going on?

• jun and David HK like this

#30 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,938 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:56 AM

Reed has certainly been unreliable of late, but this outing was more unfortunate than purely bad pitching. Unlike the other recent outings full of walks, HBP and long balls, Reed was actually getting ahead of most the hitters and then giving up weak, seeing-eye contact on what always seemed to be an 0-2 pitch. He's been frustrating to watch, but this appearance isn't a microcosm of his struggles.

IMO giving up 0-2 hits isn’t “unfortunate.” It’s an indication of poor “stuff,” poor location, and/or poor pitch selection.

I didn’t view last night as at all unlucky. It was more of the same. Too many 90 MPH fastballs in very bad locations.
  • h2oface, jun, mikelink45 and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#31 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:56 AM

Sigh... Reed has really hurt the team this year. Probably wouldn't hurt to, you know, try someone else in close, late inning games.

Same story, different day with this offense.

That's why we got that old dependable Vet Belisle.Why would we used some young and lively arms from the minors?

• David HK and Dave The Dastardly like this

#32 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:59 AM

Reed needs to work some low-leverage situations to get pointed in the right direction, but ...

Here are the hit probabilities on the five hits he gave up: 66, 44, 16, 53, 86. It was basically a bunch of seeing-eye singles, outside of the last one. I think he's going to eventually be fine, but you just can't keep pitching a guy who's struggling this badly in one-run ballgames.

• Carole Keller, Steve Lein, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

#33 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:00 AM

I'll echo the question -- why was Grossman in the outfield protecting a 1 run lead in the 8th? Or in the outfield at all? We have 4 real outfielders on the roster.

Also just noticed Grossman struck out to end the top of the 8th. Would have been trivial to replace him at that point.

Edited by spycake, 14 June 2018 - 06:10 AM.

• Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, 70charger and 5 others like this

#34 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:04 AM

Just plain ugly finish.I count three games of the last 8 or 10 we could have, should have won.Come September, three games will count.  

And what a job by Berrios, who wasn't at his best. I found the comments about Pedro interesting as I have been talking about that comparison for a couple years.   

#35 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

per gleeman:

Brian Dozier in "close and late" spots:
2014 - .177 AVG
2015 - .229 AVG
2016 - .177 AVG
2017 - .176 AVG
2018 - .159 AVG
Career - .195 AVG

Not only is his .195 AVG the worst in Twins history, it's the worst in MLB history among all players with at least as many plate appearances.

We know he will get hot sooner or later, but we keep talking about Sano and Buxton torpedoing our season...

This is one decision (by not signing Dozier this last off season) where I applaud the FO.  Our offense is bad!!!!

I don't blame the front office one bit for not committing to these guys when you have performances like this.Look at the garbage numbers Dozier, Buxton and Sano have put up this year.I'm tired of the excuses.No extensions until they have a solid full season, even if it means that Dozier is not resigned this off-season.Just my opinion but the priorities need to be extensions for Berrios, Rosario and Escobar.

• 70charger, jun and rv78 like this

#36 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:08 AM

Reed needs to work some low-leverage situations to get pointed in the right direction, but ...

Here are the hit probabilities on the five hits he gave up: 66, 44, 16, 53, 86. It was basically a bunch of seeing-eye singles, outside of the last one. I think he's going to eventually be fine, but you just can't keep pitching a guy who's struggling this badly in one-run ballgames.

A modern MLB reliever has to miss some bats. Reed 21 had 5 guys at 0-2 and couldn't strike any of them out! 3 base hits from those guys instead.
  • Carole Keller, USAFChief, jun and 4 others like this

#37 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

Liked Molitor when he was signed on as Manager. Why not give him a shot, see what he can do? Going thru his 3rd season, I've seen enough. Too many mistakes. Last night was very indicative of that. He needs to go.

• jun, laloesch, David HK and 1 other like this

#38 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

Those are nice secondary moves. Getting a new manager would be primary for me.

Thank you!!! They can't get any worse by firing Molitor...but they could get better. Really hope a change is made - the front office has to at least try something before they give up on the season.

• jun and David HK like this

#39 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

Molitor isn't going anywhere right after winning MOY and signing a 3 year contract. And he can learn. The egregious bunting from the last couple of years has not been seen this year.

Maybe we can get the pitching coach to decide who is available to pitch. That might protect the pitchers.

Then we can get someone to play some of the younger players when they first come up instead of riding the bench most of their first few weeks in MLB.

Now, if we can find someone to make up the line-up card, Molitor could start looking just fine...

• jun, birddog, Platoon and 2 others like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#40 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:29 AM

Sigh... Reed has really hurt the team this year. Probably wouldn't hurt to, you know, try someone else in close, late inning games.

Same story, different day with this offense.

"I got you, fam." - Matty B.

Matt+Belisle+Minnesota+Twins+Photo+Day+P

• Vanimal46 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, eduardo escobar, ryan pressly, addison reed