Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Top Prospects Post Draft

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

Bleacher Report just published their rankings of farm systems after the recent draft. They rank the Twins at #6. At the start Os the season, they were ranked 12th.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#2 FunnyPenguin

FunnyPenguin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 320 posts
  • LocationRedwood Falls MN

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

Sheesh, I wouldn't have even put us that high given the lack of flashy Buxton's and Sano's in the system, but I guess there are a lot of really talented guys in the lower levels

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,220 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

Nice to see, I guess. I think that's a bit high but we've seen Kiriloff round back into form so that's probably some reason for the uptick.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#4 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

I was surprised we were that high as well.Figured we would be around 9 or 10.6 seemed a little high to me.We do have some pretty solid depth.Lot's of guys that are good but maybe not great so maybe that counts for something.I know I like our top 30 more than most other teams sites.

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,276 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:28 PM

Fangraphs board should be updated in about two weeks. We'll know their updated rankings after that, when people analyze the board. Twins should be around ten or so, i think, maybe slightly higher.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,685 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

Have there been a lot of graduated prospects on other teams? Seems strange to have that much of an uptick after selecting #20 overall.
  • Thrylos, gunnarthor, Dman and 1 other like this

#7 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

Have there been a lot of graduated prospects on other teams? Seems strange to have that much of an uptick after selecting #20 overall.

I'd bet the breakouts of Kiriloff and Graterol, as well as Romero still technically being a prospect have more to do with our jump than our draft picks do.
  • nicksaviking, CwK and Doctor Wu like this

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,685 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:39 PM

I'd bet the breakouts of Kiriloff and Graterol, as well as Romero still technically being a prospect have more to do with our jump than our draft picks do.

Certainly so. Romero was a fringe top 100 prospect preseason. Kiriloff jumped up some lists mid season. Has Graterol made any lists yet?

#9 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:26 PM

Certainly so. Romero was a fringe top 100 prospect preseason. Kiriloff jumped up some lists mid season. Has Graterol made any lists yet?

Yes. Baseball America has Graterol ranked 92.
  • gunnarthor and Vanimal46 like this

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,544 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:20 AM

You could add a few more guys to that list as well. The Twins have drafted a lot of HS players the last few years who are doing very well in the minors right now. None were highly touted, they have quite a few guys in the lower minors that could be above average regulars.

#11 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:02 AM

So it looks like we have drafted well since 2012, and have consistently done well in IFA also. Who would have guessed? 

I was recently advised by a representative of the board's female caucas, that the term panties in a bundle is not acceptable. Until further notification, please use the term boxer shorts in a bundle. Fact is stranger than fiction.

#12 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

Maybe we're not putting enough stock into defensively questionable, raw power catchers.

#13 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:37 AM

I'd have to agree with that assessment too. I don't think that this month's draft did much, or anything, to advance the Twins in those rankings.

• gunnarthor likes this

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,220 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:26 AM

I'd have to agree with that assessment too. I don't think that this month's draft did much, or anything, to advance the Twins in those rankings.

I agree but I was also surprised that fangraphs had Larnich in their top 100 list. So if BR is as high on Larnich, that certainly helps.