Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Fangraphs article on Gardy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:20 PM

https://www.fangraph...-from-his-past/

Great read.

Edited by gunnarthor, 13 June 2018 - 12:21 PM.

• BK432 and nicksaviking like this

#2 BK432

BK432

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN
  • Twitter: bk432

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Totally - loads of fun. He's one of the more likable guys in baseball. Thanks for sharing.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,511 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:27 PM

I miss him and his personality. Always had a good quote and never took himself too seriously.
  • wsnydes likes this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,599 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

Wow, I think that was the first time anyone referred to Dave Kingman as "awesome"!

I've always heard stories that he was traded by the Mets in 1977 (and the Angels and released by the Padres all in the same year) for being notoriously not awesome!

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Wow, I think that was the first time anyone referred to Dave Kingman as "awesome"!

I've always heard stories that he was traded by the Mets in 1977 (and the Angels and released by the Padres all in the same year) for being notoriously not awesome!

I suspect players version of who is an awesome teammate often differ from fans and ownerships views. I remember Randy Moss was beloved in the Vikings locker room when ownership (and fans) sided with Childress. 

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,599 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

I suspect players version of who is an awesome teammate often differ from fans and ownerships views. I remember Randy Moss was beloved in the Vikings locker room when ownership (and fans) sided with Childress. 

Could be. I'm wondering what Gardy would have to say about Delmon Young these days.

The collusion case against MLB in the late 80's saw lots of good players get screwed out of contracts as owners tried to keep salaries down. It seemed in Kingman's case they were bound to keep him from joining the vaunted 500 HR club.