Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Sign Belisle: What Does This Mean?

matt belisle alan busenitz john curtiss paul molitor
  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

I, too, am totally dumbfounded with this move. This is such a Terry Ryan move. Twins are loyal to a fault with players who do not deserve to be on a MLB roster, like the player we finally released, Pettit. And don't get me started on how we are keeping Grossman for no apparent reason. At some point the loyalty has to go to our minor league prospects who have proved at every level they deserve at least a shot.

Also agree with earlier poster who said it's the offense that needs major help. Once again we are totally baffled with 85 mph fastballs and 76 mph curves last night. Does the FO really believe Polanco and Buxton returning are going to transform us into a team that can consistently score runs?

Yes

#42 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

They haven't been given the chance to take the heat.

If Belisle was brought in because they needed his "leadership" that doesn't speak too well of Rodney, Reed and Duke.

He was brought in to help us win games, just like last season where I believe he was our best pitcher after 6-15. 

• SwainZag and LA VIkes Fan like this

#43 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,228 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

He was brought in to help us win games, just like last season where I believe he was our best pitcher after 6-15. 

Ha ha, those fools! Cleveland fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go into the second half of the season without Matt Belisle when post-season contention is on the line!"

hqdefault.jpg

• USAFChief, Jerr, TiberTwins and 10 others like this

You can't take it with you. So don't go.

#44 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

If they can't take the heat, time to get out of the fire.

It would be far easier to "get out of the fire", if you were not shackled to it. MiLB players have approximately the same amount of mobility as a turtle turned over on its back. In the corporate world, those who feel they have given their best, and for whatever reason it wasn't enough to elevate them into the executive suite, are free to move to a like company in the same industry. This at least satisfies the question most people would have. Was it me, or the orginisation? In MiLB you can't go from the Twins farm system to the White Sox. You have to abandon your career path completely.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#45 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

Comments I've seen on this site in the past:

Busenitz had a flat fastball/shaky peripherals; the league will catch up to him.  He's Slamma-ing AAA pitching.

Moya gets by on a deception.

My own observation:  Curtiss has shaky control that gets exacerbated under the limelight.  Shoot, last night he wilted against the Yankees...affilitate.

Duffey is what he is.  He'll be good, he'll be bad.  Sometimes happy, sometimes sad.  Right now he's mad.

Bard is the Matt Belisle of the young turks--couldn't cut it in a contenders pen.

Listen, I don't actually dislike any of these guys, and I think they all deserve a(nother) shot. They may be more talented than Belisle, but I'm not convinced they'll perform better.  At any rate, this seems like a move driven by or done on the behalf of Molitor.  If that is the case, it will be a mark in his ledger, one way or the other.

• Carole Keller, LA VIkes Fan, gagu and 1 other like this

#46 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

Ha ha, those fools! Cleveland fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go into the second half of the season without Matt Belisle when post-season contention is on the line.

>>>>>>>>>>>Think of the trade value once everyone catches on to this. Belisle will be our way forward to a catcher who can catch a baseball. Belisle for Realmuto even up. (Though the FO will have to deal with some harsh critiscm for giving away Belisle)

Edited by ashburyjohn, 13 June 2018 - 08:56 AM.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#47 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,971 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:50 AM

If we don't like any of our AAA relievers -- why do we have so many of them on our 40-man roster? Why didn't we sign Belisle this winter? I guess by waiting, I think Cleveland is on the hook for Belisle's modest salary above the league minimum... so, savings!

Although that still would have been the case had we signed him less than a month ago, when he was a free agent for 8 days after Cleveland let him go the first time...

• ashburyjohn, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

#48 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

If the Twins are selling, they should go all in.
Rodney, Reed, Magil, Presley, Lynn, Ororizzi, Dozier, Escobar.
Why half arse it.
They have replacements for all of them.

You can’t trade players no one wants. As I said, Reed and Rodney are likely at the top of teams want lists. Relievers usually are.

#49 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,971 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

If they can't take the heat, time to get out of the fire.

Duffey has thrown 6 scoreless innings across 4 games in MLB since the last time Belisle was a free agent. Was that him showing he was unable to take the heat?

• Mike Sixel, Platoon and wsnydes like this

#50 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:14 AM

Ha ha, those fools! Cleveland fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go into the second half of the season without Matt Belisle when post-season contention is on the line!"

hqdefault.jpg

According to current board standards, the Indians haven't accomplished anything since 1948.

#51 NotTorii

NotTorii

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:33 AM

Man, sooooo - Twins!!!

#52 Tomj14

Tomj14

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

You can’t trade players no one wants. As I said, Reed and Rodney are likely at the top of teams want lists. Relievers usually are.

Every guy I mentioned would return something, sure that something is probably a mid tier prospect that as Twins fans we will over hype and claim to be the future and be unwilling to trade because we are still two years away from really contending. In a few years if will be questionable that they deserve a 40 man roster spot and again as Twins fans will be waiting for our next mid tier prospects to bring us to the promise land.

#53 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,324 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

If we don't like any of our AAA relievers -- why do we have so many of them on our 40-man roster? Why didn't we sign Belisle this winter? I guess by waiting, I think Cleveland is on the hook for Belisle's modest salary above the league minimum... so, savings!

Although that still would have been the case had we signed him less than a month ago, when he was a free agent for 8 days after Cleveland let him go the first time...

This. The 40 man can't be a restraint to moving guys up if the front office refuses to promote guys in the 40 man because they aren't good enough.

I hate this move. So many teams are getting younger, this team just keeps getting older.

Leadership? Mentor? This team is filled with veterans.
  • rghrbek, Vanimal46, Tomj14 and 1 other like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#54 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

Speaking of: The raccoon on the bank building and Belisle on a MLB roster. What do they have in common?

Soon to be roadkill?

#55 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,949 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

According to current board standards, the Indians haven't accomplished anything since 1948.

Nor our favorite team since 1991, amiright?
  • Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, adorduan and 1 other like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#56 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

Soon to be roadkill?

. That might be the winner...... :)

#57 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

Nor our favorite team since 1991, amiright?

Normally I don't do math, but does this make us over twice as successful?
  • USAFChief and nicksaviking like this

#58 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,949 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

Normally I don't do math, but does this make us over twice as successful?

You should go back to not doing math.
  • nicksaviking likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#59 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

You should go back to not doing math.

You rose to the bait........ You never disappoint. :)
  • USAFChief likes this

#60 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

So these guys can't beat out Matt Belisle for the 8th bullpen spot -- but Tampa's going to insist they are included in a major trade?

Also, those guys aren't in MLB now and don't require Belisle to replace them on the roster even if they were dealt. Except perhaps as "depth" but it's a really weird way to address depth by adding a 13th pitcher to your roster who doesn't have options.

Ahh, but isn't part of the siren song of prospects the projections they bring as compared to actual performance? Busenitz is looking good now based on last year and this year's AAA - he may not look so good to trade if we actually promote him and he stinks up the joint.Same with Curtiss, Bard, Slegers, etc... It may be easier to sell potential than reality.I know my previous dating track record would suggest that's the case. 

C'mon guys, they brought in Belisle because he pitched well in the second half of last year and it's a sign to the clubhouse that we're getting the band back together for a second half run. it probably won't work on the field very well (we'd all be thrilled if Belisle is sporting a sub 4.25 ERA in a month) but it may give the players a vote of FO confidence. If it doesn't work, ther's still plenty of time to bring up the AAA guys, although I would still put Pressley on the 10 day DL with a "tired arm" and bring up Busenitz. The rest of those guys can wait.  

• howieramone2 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: matt belisle, alan busenitz, john curtiss, paul molitor