Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 6, DET 4: More Grand Slams, Please

ehire adrianza jake odorizzi fernando rodney
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

Is there some metric that says Grossman is faster than Adrianza? It certainly doesn’t pass the eye test. Ehire is pretty quick.

Statcast has Grossman with a faster sprint speed than Adrianza, both this year and last year:

https://baseballsava...team=MIN&min=10

#22 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

I will be surprised if Polanco is anywhere close to what he was last year. Two reasons why; 1. No PED', this year. 2. Not only no spring training preparation but way behind pitching by missing 80 games.

He is not going to just resume where he left off.

Suspended players can still participate with no restrictions in Spring Training.

#23 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

Is there some metric that says Grossman is faster than Adrianza? It certainly doesn’t pass the eye test. Ehire is pretty quick.

I don’t know how much more time the Twins are willing to give Logan Morrison. My guess is the Sano to 1b/dh starts when Polanco gets back. With Mauer also likely back by then, Morrison is the logical odd man out.

I forget where it was but I saw it here on TD. It might have been the game recap where Adrianza pinch-ran for Grossman? They had a chart with everyone's speed: Grossman surprisingly fast, Adrianza, surprisingly slow. Eye test is influenced by position I imagine. SS are supposed to be fast.

Morrison makes a bad 4th OF too since he's left-handed. And sucks in the OF. It's just a shame if that happens - every concept indicates he'll likely be a decent player at some point. Guys don't generally just lose it at 30!

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:44 AM

I’m not sure I buy into that methodology for comparing speed. They are basically comparing the absolute top speed for guys. Sure, for one second Grossman could be 9 inches per second faster than Adrianza. But going from first to third on a single, I’ll bank on Adrianza getting there faster every time.

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:39 PM

My philosophy is going to pretty simple. As long as Adrianaza is hitting and producing and he is one of the few that is... Keep letting him hit and produce. 

I understand that many have made their minds up about Adrianaza and are very willing to look past this hot streak and wait for the eventual crash down to earth. I'm not a long term believer in Adrianaza myself but in the current Twins offense context, in my strong opinion, you can't bench one of 3 guys actually hitting for someone who isn't hitting but is supposed to be hitting. 

It's all about opportunity and this is his opportunity to extend his career and I'm going to cheer him on while he lasts. 

Before he arrived with the Twins... the most he had was 113 AB's in a season with the Giants. Let's see if he can extend this run for awhile. 

Dave Roberts of the Dodgers would never allow Buxton, Sano, Morrison to perform like they are without a reduction in playing time. 

I'm sure the Dodger Fans were not very excited by Max Muncy especially since he was released by the A's. Well... he figured something out and Roberts has him in the starting somewhere most nights because he is performing and he is taking away at bats from Dodger mainstays who were not performing. 

This is how depth is created. Let players get a chance to be depth. If they come out of nowhere, let the come out of nowhere. 

Disclaimer: I'm not predicting that Adrianaza is going to be a superstar going forward... but I am saying... let's find out... at the very least... it is fact that he is out performing everybody else on the roster not named Eddie at the moment. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ehire adrianza, jake odorizzi, fernando rodney