Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Help is on the Way! Twins Sign Matt Belisle!

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,966 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

At the same time, part of being a GM is working through the retreads to find something useful. Yeah it goes poorly but you get a Jake Arietta sometimes.

Comparing the Belisle signing to the Arrieta trade? Arrieta was just 27, a former top 100 prospect who had only been with 1 organization. Also, he was still a starting pitcher, and he still had an option left.
  • USAFChief, jokin, Doomtints and 1 other like this

#42 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

I guess this means we are buyers this year.

At the very least it means they aren't sellers....yet.

#43 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

Yeah, but if they're looking for a diamond in the rough it seems more likely it would come from the stable of Busenitz, Curtis, Reed, Bard, Moya or Mejia. Guys who have better velocity, better movement and a decade and a half fewer innings on their arm.

Maybe they want those guys to get to pitch regularly. Any one of those guys is going to be 5th or 6th guy on the totem pole in MN. There's something to be said for having a guy you're not invested in who is liked in the clubhouse be your last bullpen guy. Terry Mulhullonding it.

• IndianaTwin likes this

#44 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

Comparing the Belisle signing to the Arrieta trade? Arrieta was just 27, a former top 100 prospect who had only been with 1 organization. Also, he was still a starting pitcher, and he still had an option left.

Not comparing the two at all, just giving a best case scenario for dumpster diving.

It’s the job of a GM to shift through the rubble for value. Some of that is bringing in starting pitching options, some of it is bringing in the LaMarres and Caves of the world and some of it is bringing in relievers who you think might catch for awhile. Magill has been a great example of the last, albeit in low-leverage situations. Maybe the Twins are about to trust him a bit more and want Belisle for the junk reliever role?

And again, I’m not saying this is the greatest move of all time. I’m just saying there’s not really cause to freak out on the Twins taking a chance on a liked veteran over sitting a prospect in the back of the pen where he pitches once a week.

• birdwatcher likes this

#45 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,966 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

The numbers are the numbers. The batters don't change when you're a middle-inning guy.

Actually, the batters do sometimes change in the late innings in low leverage. Pinch hitting for regulars just to give them a rest, letting pitchers bat for themselves (Belisle was in the NL). And approach definitely changes too.

And Belisle didn't even have the peripherals to support those numbers. His FIP wasn't bad but it was basically a full run higher than his ERA those 2 years.

He wasn't necessarily bad, but it's a bit of a stretch to call those years "elite" for him. If they were in any way "elite", he wouldn't have been on a 1 year, $2 mil deal with the Twins.

#46 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,966 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

Maybe the Twins are about to trust him a bit more and want Belisle for the junk reliever role?

Why not use a younger pitcher with options for that role, maybe capable of throwing multiple innings too?
  • KirbyDome89 likes this

#47 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,564 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

I wonder how permanent this is. Petit hasn't been playing but when Mauer, Polanco and Buxton come back, a pitcher will likely have to go (you can drop LaMarre and Adrianza but after that there's nobody to drop). Will they drop Belisle then or send a young guy down.

This is likely a meh move. My level of frustration will depend on whether they use him in a high-leverage situation. I don't mind giving him some up-big or down-big innings to see if he can become an okay piece. But I don't think he will and hope they have a quick hook when the third of Mauer, Polanco and Buxton come back.

I would think that regardless of who the pitchers are the Twins will carry 13 pitchers, and 4 bench guys.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#48 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

Nothing against the guy. He did a nice job for us last season. A couple guys are being over used. But I still disappointed in this move.
  • jokin and Tom Froemming like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#49 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,317 posts

He was bad for Cleveland but he was pretty decent for the Twins last year and is only two years removed from an elite two-year stint. I wouldn't make any judgements based on 10 2/3 innings from this year. Relievers are a weird bunch: after all, Brian Duensing is still in this league and is a solid setup man for a contender. How many of us would have predicted that?

I'm not going to defend it to the death. I just don't think it's bad enough to get worked up about. Maybe they saw something in his delivery that they think they can fix. Maybe they want him as a mentor who slots in at the end of the pen for a month or two. Who knows?

Mentor? It's all veterans!
  • ThejacKmp, jud6312 and Tomj14 like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#50 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,898 posts

Why not use a younger pitcher with options for that role, maybe capable of throwing multiple innings too?

I'd assume because you want to have him pitching regularly in AAA rather than sitting at the end of the bench sopping up innings?

Will also be interesting to see if the Twins use Belisle for longer outings when he does come in. They have no reason not to push him.

#51 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:35 PM

This

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#52 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:38 PM

Great news!Buddy Boshers hopefully next

Houston wants Sano for him.

• Platoon likes this

#53 jun

jun

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Indians batters are all anxious to see Belisle. Batting practice time!

• jud6312 likes this

#54 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

Was his option to pitch the cubs to the World Series versus being sent to Iowa for eternity?  

• nicksaviking likes this

#55 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:10 PM

Was his option to pitch the cubs to the World Series versus being sent to Iowa for eternity?

Well he's certainly old enough. I think that's him there second in from the left.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1807.JPG
  • GCTF and Platoon like this

#56 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

He was bad for Cleveland but he was pretty decent for the Twins last year and is only two years removed from an elite two-year stint. I wouldn't make any judgements based on 10 2/3 innings from this year. Relievers are a weird bunch: after all, Brian Duensing is still in this league and is a solid setup man for a contender. How many of us would have predicted that?

I'm not going to defend it to the death. I just don't think it's bad enough to get worked up about. Maybe they saw something in his delivery that they think they can fix. Maybe they want him as a mentor who slots in at the end of the pen for a month or two. Who knows?

Again, Cleveland is desperate for anyone with a pulse to pitch in their bullpen. Yet Belisle couldn't make that team. And somehow he's going to slot into our bullpen and most likely pitch the 7/8th inning.

"This don't make no sense."
  • Dman, KirbyDome89, jud6312 and 1 other like this

#57 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:20 PM

Neil Allen will fix Belisle in a jiffy.In a more serious note, the reliever they traded to the Padres has an ERAunder 4. From feast to famine. I would hazard a guess that the better ones of the bullpen will be up when the wily veterans are traded.

#58 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,966 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

I'd assume because you want to have him pitching regularly in AAA rather than sitting at the end of the bench sopping up innings?

Will also be interesting to see if the Twins use Belisle for longer outings when he does come in. They have no reason not to push him.

No reason in modern MLB to have a reliever go a week between outings, there are plenty of relief innings to around. Especially in the Twins pen, it's not like we have 3-4 shutdown options at the top who need to soak up all the innings.

I just don't see the point in investing innings in a guy at this point unless you think he can help you later in the season in a more important role.

#59 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

Now I have to try and find my Belisle jersey! 

• Platoon likes this

#60 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

Again, Cleveland is desperate for anyone with a pulse to pitch in their bullpen. Yet Belisle couldn't make that team. And somehow he's going to slot into our bullpen and most likely pitch the 7/8th inning.

"This don't make no sense."

tenor.gif?itemid=9017442

• Vanimal46 and KirbyDome89 like this