Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Help is on the Way! Twins Sign Matt Belisle!

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

Great news! Buddy Boshers hopefully next

Not enough experience to bring back Buddy. What's Craig Breslow up to?
  • Thrylos and jud6312 like this

#22 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:30 AM

Well that might be it for me. 

jerry-seinfeld-done.gif

• KirbyDome89 and jud6312 like this

#23 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:33 AM

I would take Chris Gimenez as backup C

• LA VIkes Fan and jun like this

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,819 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

Another arm to throw the Marlins way in a Realmuto deal, no doubt.

• Mike Sixel, Puckett34, nicksaviking and 10 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#25 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

I am going over to another thread on increasing interest in the game. I wanna see if this acquisition is mention as a positive or a negative? :)
  • nicksaviking likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#26 wavedog

wavedog

Twins fan since 1969

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:00 AM

I look at it as its better to have Molitor abuse a veteran arm - Belisle was pretty good in the closer role last year - although not sure what Busenitz has to do to get get a call-up. 

• LA VIkes Fan and Sconnie like this

#27 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:00 AM

The only thing that keeps comin back over and over more often that former Twins vets is Michael Meyers!
  • USAFChief, DocBauer, wsnydes and 3 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#28 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:02 AM

I wonder how permanent this is. Petit hasn't been playing but when Mauer, Polanco and Buxton come back, a pitcher will likely have to go (you can drop LaMarre and Adrianza but after that there's nobody to drop). Will they drop Belisle then or send a young guy down.

This is likely a meh move. My level of frustration will depend on whether they use him in a high-leverage situation. I don't mind giving him some up-big or down-big innings to see if he can become an okay piece. But I don't think he will and hope they have a quick hook when the third of Mauer, Polanco and Buxton come back.

• birdwatcher and Brandon like this

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

I wonder how permanent this is. Petit hasn't been playing but when Mauer, Polanco and Buxton come back, a pitcher will likely have to go (you can drop LaMarre and Adrianza but after that there's nobody to drop). Will they drop Belisle then or send a young guy down.

This is likely a meh move. My level of frustration will depend on whether they use him in a high-leverage situation. I don't mind giving him some up-big or down-big innings to see if he can become an okay piece. But I don't think he will and hope they have a quick hook when the third of Mauer, Polanco and Buxton come back.

Regardless of how permanent this is, why make the move at all? Cleveland is desperate for bullpen help, even signing the rotting corpse of Oliver Perez... He couldn't make Cleveland's roster, but is good enough for us?
  • Blackjack, bluechipper, jun and 3 others like this

#30 Tomj14

Tomj14

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:14 AM

Another arm to throw the Marlins way in a Realmuto deal, no doubt.

I assume you mean another minor league pitcher that the big league club refuses to bring up?

Why bother having relief pitchers on the 40 man (Busenitz, Curtiss, Moya) when THEY don't think there are as good as a pitcher that got demoted and cut from the team we are chasing?

• Mike Sixel, KGB and KirbyDome89 like this

#31 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

Give it time.

#32 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

I guess this means we are buyers this year.

• Mike Sixel, ThejacKmp, Platoon and 3 others like this

#33 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

Washed up relief arms are the Danny Santana/Nick Punto of this FO. Maybe every FO has "their guys," but I was hoping that trend would end.

• Mike Sixel and jud6312 like this

#34 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

Regardless of how permanent this is, why make the move at all? Cleveland is desperate for bullpen help, even signing the rotting corpse of Oliver Perez... He couldn't make Cleveland's roster, but is good enough for us?

He was bad for Cleveland but he was pretty decent for the Twins last year and is only two years removed from an elite two-year stint. I wouldn't make any judgements based on 10 2/3 innings from this year. Relievers are a weird bunch: after all, Brian Duensing is still in this league and is a solid setup man for a contender. How many of us would have predicted that?

I'm not going to defend it to the death. I just don't think it's bad enough to get worked up about. Maybe they saw something in his delivery that they think they can fix. Maybe they want him as a mentor who slots in at the end of the pen for a month or two. Who knows?

• birdwatcher, Dozier's Glorious Hair and Battle ur tail off like this

#35 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:58 AM

Washed up relief arms are the Danny Santana/Nick Punto of this FO. Maybe every FO has "their guys," but I was hoping that trend would end.

At the same time, part of being a GM is working through the retreads to find something useful. Yeah it goes poorly but you get a Jake Arietta sometimes.

I'm glad they like relief arms over utility infielders. Nick Punto is probably the upside of reclaimed utility guy. At least relief arms have a chance to become important parts.

#36 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:01 PM

Agreed. Really surprised they didn't give cash to the Cubs for Gimenez when Castro went down. Gimenez understands the staff, would be a great mentor for Garver and isn't useless with the bat in small doses. I can't think the Cubs would stand in the way of a veteran catcher getting a chance to play in the majors, especially in the other league. I get the Cubs wanna keep some depth but Gimenez isn't that good and maybe you get a lottery ticket prospect?

#37 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

He was bad for Cleveland but he was pretty decent for the Twins last year and is only two years removed from an elite two-year stint.

Elite mop-up work? Belisle's average game-entering leverage index in 2016 was .83, about the same as Tonkin, Boshers, and O'Rourke that year.

#38 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,977 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

At the same time, part of being a GM is working through the retreads to find something useful. Yeah it goes poorly but you get a Jake Arietta sometimes.

I'm glad they like relief arms over utility infielders. Nick Punto is probably the upside of reclaimed utility guy. At least relief arms have a chance to become important parts.

Yeah, but if they're looking for a diamond in the rough it seems more likely it would come from the stable of Busenitz, Curtis, Reed, Bard, Moya or Mejia. Guys who have better velocity, better movement and a decade and a half fewer innings on their arm.

• birdwatcher, TheLeviathan, jun and 2 others like this

#39 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

What? Why? I get that Belisle was Fantastic down the stretch for the twins last season, but he couldn’t even crack the league’s worst bullpen. Busenitz is more than ready, but I guess Molly needs his veteran reliever that he can overuse. I thought we had seen the last of these type of moves...
  • jud6312 likes this

#40 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:06 PM

Elite mop-up work? Belisle's average game-entering leverage index in 2016 was .83, about the same as Tonkin, Boshers, and O'Rourke that year.

The numbers are the numbers. The batters don't change when you're a middle-inning guy. Maybe the approach a bit but he had two years where the numbers are really good. And he treaded water in a more serious role with the Twins last year. I can think of weirder things to do with the last bullpen spot for three weeks.