Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mensa guy's radical ideas for changing baseball.

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,727 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

you sure it hasn't? NFL viewership has been in decline for a few seasons now.

NFL viewership is dropping slower than tv viewership overall......so, in context, I'm not sure it is dropping, as it were....

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#82 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

NFL viewership is dropping slower than tv viewership overall......so, in context, I'm not sure it is dropping, as it were....

And Super Bowl/playoff viewership remains high. The NFL has long term worries to be sure, but not like baseball.

#83 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

https://www.wsj.com/...ance-1529063246

If anyone's got a Wall Street Journal subscription, you can see here that they've just recently written an article about the MLB's dropping attendance. Not-so-fun fact: Toronto's attendance has dropped by 29% this season. Yikes!

If you want to hear my opinion, interest in the MLB is clearly on the decline with those of my demographic (17-25 year old guys). I'm just not sure any tweaks are going to help... baseball is simply a slowly paced game that just doesn't connect with people with short attention spans. The NFL has been able to stay on top and at least minimize their decreases in revenue by having booming fantasy football and gambling departments, constant social media and news reporting 24/7, and just having less games that get more attention. The MLB feels a bit antiquated compared to the NFL and NBA, but I think that's just their niche. A quick and easy fix just doesn't exist, in my opinion. 

#84 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:06 AM

Bob Nightengale article