Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mensa guy's radical ideas for changing baseball.

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

Thought this articlewas interesting.His ideas include mandating relief pitchers face at least three batters, centering the pitching rubber, best team chooses their playoff opponent, among others. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,267 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

I really think baseball should have bi-monthly double header Saturdays and trim the schedule by nearly two weeks.

I also dig the “unalignment” idea.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,338 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

If it ain't broke...

• gunnarthor, RaymondLuxuryYacht, Shaitan and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,267 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

If it ain't broke...

Demographic, attendance, and popularity trends indicate that it may be in trouble soon. Yeah, your car is running, but the check engine light is on.
  • birdwatcher, gil4, mikelink45 and 2 others like this

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

Demographic, attendance, and popularity trends indicate that it may be in trouble soon. Yeah, your car is running, but the check engine light is on.

I'm not sure you're really onto anything. Baseball has always been a sport that was too boring for young people. It was the same when I was a kid. People grow into the sport. Baseball attendance is still great and of the major sports, they somehow seem to be the best at using the internet and social media for other revenue streams. They could use some improvement in marketing - no one today rivals the popularity that Jeter or Ichiro used to have, for example, but the on-field product is pretty good right now. 

• Blake, Vanimal46 and Broker like this

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,483 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:22 AM

I'm not sure you're really onto anything. Baseball has always been a sport that was too boring for young people. It was the same when I was a kid. People grow into the sport. Baseball attendance is still great and of the major sports, they somehow seem to be the best at using the internet and social media for other revenue streams. They could use some improvement in marketing - no one today rivals the popularity that Jeter or Ichiro used to have, for example, but the on-field product is pretty good right now.

MLB certainly needs to market their young stars better. Mike Trout may end up being the best player in generations, and I know nothing about him personally.

On the other hand, I don't watch basketball yet I know LeBron's political/social stances, his kid is also really good at basketball, and who his buddies are in the NBA.
  • Blake, gunnarthor, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,267 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

The on-field product is constantly under attack in and out of baseball. The 50 year old white guy who compromises the average baseball fan grew up in a very different sports era. Waiting for a festering problem to become a full blown crisis is about the worst possible idea.

I get not wanting to make radical changes. Pretending the long term health of the sport is fine is pretty head-in-the-sand.
  • nicksaviking and Platoon like this

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,267 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

Also, if you want some anecdotes about how the 7-15 year old sports fan views baseball versus football or basketball....i could really horrify you. And those anecdotes align with some data about the popularities of the sports relative to each other.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,483 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

Also, if you want some anecdotes about how the 7-15 year old sports fan views baseball versus football or basketball....i could really horrify you. And those anecdotes align with some data about the popularities of the sports relative to each other.

I wonder if that's a result of watching ESPN? Those are the sports that network discusses ad nauseum.
  • Platoon likes this

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

I don't think the 7-15 year old sports today fan would be much different than the 7-15 year old sports fan who grew up in the 80s. 

MLB could do some tinkering - the three outcomes baseball is boring - but, generally, of the four major sports, it's the one I'm most comfortable saying will still exist in 50 years.

• Platoon, Broker and Nine of twelve like this

#11 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

If it ain't broke...

Maybe, maybe not. If you put a frog in luke warm water and turn on the burner....

• mickeymental likes this

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,267 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

I wonder if that's a result of watching ESPN? Those are the sports that network discusses ad nauseum.

My avid kid sports fans could name 50 NFL or NBA teams before they could name 5 MLB teams. Not an exaggeration.

ESPN may be hyping those leagues for the much the same reasons I am concerned about baseball. They know where their future bread gets buttered.
  • nicksaviking and Vanimal46 like this

#13 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,267 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

I don't think the 7-15 year old sports today fan would be much different than the 7-15 year old sports fan who grew up in the 80s. 

MLB could do some tinkering - the three outcomes baseball is boring - but, generally, of the four major sports, it's the one I'm most comfortable saying will still exist in 50 years.

They are much different. That's the part you aren't seeing.

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,483 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

My avid kid sports fans could name 50 NFL or NBA teams before they could name 5 MLB teams. Not an exaggeration.

ESPN may be hyping those leagues for the much the same reasons I am concerned about baseball. They know where their future bread gets buttered.

And they spent billions of dollars in TV broadcast rights for NFL and NBA. But yes, I agree that kids today find baseball boring and the other sports more entertaining.

NBA knows how to market their players to casual sports fans. The NFL is a giant cluster bleep most of the time but still the king of sports in America.

Baseball has fun young stars, but fails to market them to young kids.

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,267 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

Like the article I'm not sure player marketing matters. Kids don't have any recognition or buy-in with the league.

Half the Arizona kids in my classroom didn't even recognize the Diamondback logo. All but five of them didn't even know a single player on the Diamondbacks. and those five only knew Goldschmidt and had no idea what position he played. Last year when they were in the wild card playoff they had no idea playoff game was going on that night all they could talk about was the Cardinals.

ESPN has a lot of money in baseball too, but where would you emphasize your time? On the diverse 15-40 market or the 50+, all white dudes?

Not sure the answer requires much thought.

#16 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Baseball is in full swing and the NBA finals were still going on but a recent "top story," detailed how Brady and Gronkowski skipped mini camp to train on their own. I tend to avoid ESPN as much as I can (I'm partial to Russillo's podcast and I like to catch SVP late night every so often) but you're spot on, the NFL is shoved down our collective throat all year long. I probably get more tilted about it than I should, but I really don't understand how the fatigue factor hasn't set in for more people.  

• Vanimal46 likes this

#17 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

for what it's worth, espn's 2018 world fame top 100 includes zero baseball players. zero. 

eight basketballers make the list -- three in the top 10 (lbj, durant, curry) and all eight among the top 36. brady, at 38, is the only football player.

http://www.espn.com/...d-fame-100-2018

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,324 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

If it ain't broke...

perhaps the worst advice ever for running a business. If you aren't trying to be better every day, you aren't trying.

I've been thinking about starting a series of articles called:

Off the Wall 

(not so?) Crazy Ideas for Baseball

stuff like:

every team in the playoffs, here's how

Eliminate the draft

Universal DH, for any position you want

The 2 starter rotation

etc....

Edited by Mike Sixel, 11 June 2018 - 01:19 PM.

• TheLeviathan likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#19 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:21 PM

They are much different. That's the part you aren't seeing.

Do you have a source for that or is it just what you're seeing? Attendance for baseball and football have dropped roughly the same as people don't go to games as much anymore.

But we've heard "baseball is dying" stories for several generations now.

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,483 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

for what it's worth, espn's 2018 world fame top 100 includes zero baseball players. zero.

eight basketballers make the list -- three in the top 10 (lbj, durant, curry) and all eight among the top 36. brady, at 38, is the only football player.

http://www.espn.com/...d-fame-100-2018

Sad, really.... We may know more about Babe Ruth than Mike Trout when it's all said and done.
  • Teflon and Platoon like this