Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 7, LAA 5: Jake Cave Sparks a Fire

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:03 PM

Trout this year against Twins pitching:

2/22 with no XBH, 6 walks, 7 strikeouts, .091/.310/.091.

Best player in baseball my butt.
  • ashburyjohn, Jerr, blindeke and 1 other like this

#22 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,088 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:33 AM

No, Ian Kinsler is! The Twins couldn’t get him out. SSS, I guess.

#23 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,852 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:34 AM

Romero ended up striking out Trout on an outside fastball, but yeah. That Trout kid might be a decent bat!

Trout? Totally overrated. Something like 1-12 over the weekend. Get someone in that lineup that could hit with RISP and they would have swept the series. Twins pitching handled him with ease. :)
  • blindeke likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#24 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:28 AM

The judges would have accepted “Cave-man Discovers Fire”.

I was expecting something like "Twins Cave-in on the Angels", or

"Angels Cave to Jake's bat..."

• ThejacKmp likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#25 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:58 AM

Really good to see all the Dozier hate. That means he's about to bust out in a big way.

Strangely, I predict no one will be commenting "I really thought we should bench him for Gordon, my bad".

• gocgo likes this

#26 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

Grossman still have an option?  Wouldn't mind seeing a platoon with Cave and LeMarre.  Line up is still atrocious

No option, but with his salary and limitations, there is a decent chance Grossman would clear waivers and could be outrighted to AAA.

I think a better idea would be to drop Petit. It leaves you a little thin in the middle infield and in danger of losing the DH/needing to play Rosario at 2B in an emergency but Petit isn't playing and is 20 games from being superfluous when Polanco comes back.

#27 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:05 AM

This offseason I was arguing that the Twins should look to move Escobar. They had Dozier and Polanco with Gordon, Javier, Lewis and Arraez coming up. He was superfluous and about to get expensive.

Man was I wrong. The Twins missed an opportunity when they didn't sign him this offseason. They probably could've gotten him on a 3 year, $15 million deal. Now they may be paying $15 million for a single year. Oh well, hard to predict this explosion but what a missed opportunity.

#28 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

I think a better idea would be to drop Petit. It leaves you a little thin in the middle infield and in danger of losing the DH/needing to play Rosario at 2B in an emergency but Petit isn't playing and is 20 games from being superfluous when Polanco comes back.

True. Don't even need a roster spot immediately. In a few days, if we are ready to activate Mauer, we could probably drop Petit.

Probably don't have to touch Cave/LaMarre/Grossman until Polanco comes back, or Buxton, or if we want to add a 13th pitcher again.

#29 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:06 AM

True. Don't even need a roster spot immediately. In a few days, if we are ready to activate Mauer, we could probably drop Petit.

Probably don't have to touch Cave/LaMarre/Grossman until Polanco comes back, or Buxton, or if we want to add a 13th pitcher again.

Yeah Buxton back means Cave and LaMarre both go down (unless Cave really hits and forces you to keep him up and platoon with Buxton) and you get that 13th pitcher. To my mind:

Polanco = Petit down

Mauer = LaMarre down

Buxton = Cave down

Kind of tricky since Mauer seems likely to be first back and Buxton might be third.

#30 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:08 AM

Yes - we need this, a young OF who takes his opportunity.Time to move past LaMarre and Grossman.Cave and Wade should be getting their ABs.Was this Escobar's preview at 2B for next year?  

Cave probably needs more than one game to show that he "takes the opportunity", but he certainly passes the eye test on being a plus across the board over LaMarre.LaMarre still has a BABIP over 400, so it will still probably get worse.Production from Cave certainly makes him unnecessary on this roster.Replacing Grossman with Wade doesn't seem to be quite as simple.That would mean four left-handed OF, which really limits matchup options.I'm also not sure that Wade would be a defensive upgrade in the late innings over Rosario, Cave or Kepler.Grossman's OBP has been trending up after a terrible April, so where does Wade move the needle much?Well, other than impatient fans wanting to see him debut.

#31 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:24 AM

Yeah Buxton back means Cave and LaMarre both go down (unless Cave really hits and forces you to keep him up and platoon with Buxton) and you get that 13th pitcher. To my mind:

Polanco = Petit down

Mauer = LaMarre down

Buxton = Cave down

Kind of tricky since Mauer seems likely to be first back and Buxton might be third.

Meh, Petit isn't playing anyway. And if Mauer comes back, he's going to be taking 1B/DH at-bats, which is going to push us to play Sano at third pretty much exclusively, rendering Petit even less necessary.

• ThejacKmp likes this

#32 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

If Petit isn't playing anyway, I wonder why they don't call up a one-dimensional but useful player to PH or PR. I guess that would mean Vargas, or pick up a has-been off waivers who might be able to PH late in a game.

#33 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

Meh, Petit isn't playing anyway. And if Mauer comes back, he's going to be taking 1B/DH at-bats, which is going to push us to play Sano at third pretty much exclusively, rendering Petit even less necessary.

That's a good call. If Sano or Morrison is DHing you worry but with Mauer back that won't happen. It does mean a lot of Escobar at SS but you live with that for the bat.