Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins 2018 MLB Draft Signing Tracker

mlb draft
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:19 AM

The Twins signed a Casanova? Excellent news!

#42 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

Added a couple more to the "Signed" group. Lots of guys will head to Elizabethton and some in the GCL. 

#43 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

Winder signed for slot.

#44 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

This may be a dumb question.But the 8th round catcher, Chris Williams signed for $10,000?Why not draft me and sign me for $10 to save the slot value money?It seems like the pick is only to save slot money, and if so, why even pay him at all?  

#45 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

Over on MLB site looks like the Twins saved 1.5 Million in bonus money and went over slot about 460,000 so they should have a million dollars yet to play with.Is Larnach going to be over slot or are they gonna use that to sign a few more High schoolers?

#46 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids

• Twins Writers
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

This may be a dumb question.But the 8th round catcher, Chris Williams signed for $10,000?Why not draft me and sign me for $10 to save the slot value money?It seems like the pick is only to save slot money, and if so, why even pay him at all?  

Because Chris Williams has the talent that deserved to be a Top 10 round pick. The reason he signed so much cheaper than the rest of the guys in the first 10 rounds is because he was a college senior so he didn't have any negotiating leverage like the guys who are in high school or are college juniors who could turn down the offer and re-enter the draft at a later point.

#47 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids

• Twins Writers
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Over on MLB site looks like the Twins saved 1.5 Million in bonus money and went over slot about 460,000 so they should have a million dollars yet to play with.Is Larnach going to be over slot or are they gonna use that to sign a few more High schoolers?

As the Twins currently stand, they have used $2,183,700 of their bonus pool, which is $45,200 under slot value on those picks. Overall, the Twins had a bonus pool of 5,933,000 which leaves $3,749,300 to sign Trevor Larnach, Cole Sands and Charles Mack, along with any other picks outside of the top 10 rounds that they want to sign for more than $125K.

• Tom Froemming likes this

#48 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

So are we not signing Mack?Seems like a long wait.

#49 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids

• Twins Writers
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:47 AM

So are we not signing Mack?Seems like a long wait.

The Twins are most likely waiting to sign both Mack and Sands until they sign Larnach, which they can't do until Oregon State is done playing in the College World Series.

#50 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

Looks like they signed Sands for $600,000, or $269.600 over slot.That puts them about $225,000 over their pool. 

They still need to sign Larnach and Mack to fill out their top 9 (ten rounds).Expect they will wait to sign Mack until they get Larnach signed and are certain of the dollar savings, if any.They can then work on Mack and if there are dollars left over, focus on their #11 pick or others further down the list.  

I understand they also have signed the pitcher from UCLA (#12).No word on the dollars.

#51 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,179 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:56 PM

Larnach is signed.

http://www.startribu...nach/487432771/

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#52 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

Looks like they signed Sands for $600,000, or $269.600 over slot.That puts them about $225,000 over their pool. 

They still need to sign Larnach and Mack to fill out their top 9 (ten rounds).Expect they will wait to sign Mack until they get Larnach signed and are certain of the dollar savings, if any.They can then work on Mack and if there are dollars left over, focus on their #11 pick or others further down the list.  

I understand they also have signed the pitcher from UCLA (#12).No word on the dollars.

mlb.com still does not show an amount for Sands, for what it's worth.Olsen from UCLA signed for $125,000.

#53 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids

• Twins Writers
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

mlb.com still does not show an amount for Sands, for what it's worth.Olsen from UCLA signed for $125,000.

That is because Sands still has not officially signed. It was originally reported that he signed for $600K, but those reports were false.

#54 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,179 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

That is because Sands still has not officially signed. It was originally reported that he signed for $600K, but those reports were false.

Now that Larnach is signed, hopefully they can get Sands and Mack signed tomorrow. Any reason to think one or the other or both won’t get done?

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#55 CwK

CwK

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:13 PM

Doogie has just reported that Mack, Sands and Helman are signed.

#56 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,712 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:18 PM

Doogie has just reported that Mack, Sands and Helman are signed.

No real surprise, they had to get the big number firmed up first.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#57 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

Yup, the Twins generally aren't going to take anyone in the Top 10 rounds unless they know what it will take to get them signed, so I assumed these guys would sign. That said, you never know as it gets later and later. Nice to see Helman get signed too. 

#58 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:32 PM

If my math is right, they are about $5000 under slot and have signed their picks through the first 23 rounds. That's impressive. I don't recall them signing that many at the top. So, the most they can sign the remaining guys for is about $130,000 (plus allowable amount over slot (which isn't a ton)... In other words, I'm guessing the Twins can offer Seth Halvorson about $130,000-150,000... so he's going to Missouri... which is OK. They signed the guys they wanted too.

• Monkeypaws, MN_ExPat and rdehring like this

#59 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:13 AM

If my math is right, they are about $5000 under slot and have signed their picks through the first 23 rounds. That's impressive. I don't recall them signing that many at the top. So, the most they can sign the remaining guys for is about $130,000 (plus allowable amount over slot (which isn't a ton)... In other words, I'm guessing the Twins can offer Seth Halvorson about $130,000-150,000... so he's going to Missouri... which is OK. They signed the guys they wanted too.

I don't recall any years like this either, Seth.Signing over 30 players with only 39 picks may be both the most players signed and by far the highest percentage (32 of 39) of players signed.Really surprised that they signed their top 23.Are they meeting with Halverson this morning?If I understand the rules, they could pay him about $400,000 (plus pick up his cost of college) with only a cash penalty.

Now time to sit back and watch'em play down on the farm.Will see how they did in five years, or so!

#60 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:52 AM

Wow ... LaRon Smith signed for $125K. I haven't found much about him other than a prior commitment to Indian Hills Community College. Good size for a HS SS with room to grow. Very young HS senior. It will be fun watching him work through the system.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb draft