Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins 2018 MLB Draft Signing Tracker

mlb draft
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

I wonder why FanGraphs had him rated so high? His bat was clearly superior to others in the class? His defense seems to be universally touted as below average coming into the draft and he is a slow runner so he gives you virtually no upside defensively unless of course he does develop into an average catcher. So I guess I don't understand how Fangraphs can rate half a player that high. He really only seems to have high offensive potential and scouts were mixed on if his current power will really carry over to wood bats and MLB.

I know I heard the FO mention last year that they look for hitters with certain characteristics like plate discipline and swing plane etc. So this guy must have a lot of things that they like in a hitter and I guess Fangraphs agree's but there are a lot of warts on this guy as well from a defensive standpoint so I hope they can develop this guy. Otherwise it was wasted pick in an already thin high end talent draft for them.

Fangraphs probably likes his chances of sticking at catcher much better than mlb.com. That would explain the delta, IMO.
  • Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and ThejacKmp like this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,254 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

The Twins signed a few more today:

#23 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

Fangraphs probably likes his chances of sticking at catcher much better than mlb.com. That would explain the delta, IMO.

That must be it.I read somewhere he has a plus arm so if they help him frame pitches, increase his pop time etc. then he can be average defensively with offensive upside.I hope he can do it.

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,254 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

He was much higher rated by fangraphs. Much.

Yeah... we need to be careful with going by any of the draft rankings... Teams see these guys so much more than those sites (as good as they are)... and all teams will see things differently... I know I'm not smart enough to say a guy "should have signed for" whatever the amount. 

#25 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:04 PM

Yeah... we need to be careful with going by any of the draft rankings... Teams see these guys so much more than those sites (as good as they are)... and all teams will see things differently... I know I'm not smart enough to say a guy "should have signed for" whatever the amount.

Your last comment clearly puts you in a class of one on this site. Everyone else seems to be pretty definitive on what the Twins should have spent on every draft pick.
  • Seth Stohs, diehardtwinsfan, ThejacKmp and 2 others like this

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,313 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

Yeah, too much group think in rankings. Each independent evaluator that makes a public list can say they made a list based strictly on their own opinion, but I wouldn't believe them. If one of them says a guy can't stick at SS or hit an inside fastball or has an arm too weak for RF, it spreads like wildfire.

Not that these guys are totally at fault, there's no way everyone can see enough of each and every one of these guys to make an informed opinion. They have to rely on others. Each MLB team has dozens of scouts each watching a small region of players, the publications don't have nearly those resources.

• Dman and DocBauer like this

#27 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

To be honest it is hard to know what amount guys should be signed for but we do get clues.One way to determine worth is based on where analysts see players likely to be ranked.Not every player will have 1st round worth and through 40 rounds lots of players sign so they seem to understand where they rank and thus what they are worth to get a chance at their dream.

We know college seniors have little leverage in this process unless they have had an outstanding year\college career.We know highly touted high school seniors will require a lot of money to sign away from colleges where some have potential to turn into first round picks and make a lot of money.We know juniors have some leverage to get a little more money based on their talent and where they were picked. 

We know the basic idea is to use your pool to sign as many of the picks as possible and if you save enough take a shot at a high schooler who fell and gamble on their potential. 

So knowing a players approximate ranking, leverage, and potential ceiling I would argue we have a decent idea of what players might be signed for.Granted we don't know a lot of information that scouts\organizations do so the value us box score watchers apply can be skewed. But it is fun to form an opinion and put it out there and see if holds up or matches up to what really happens and typically it is pretty close but there are always surprises as well.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,906 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

Your last comment clearly puts you in a class of one on this site. Everyone else seems to be pretty definitive on what the Twins should have spent on every draft pick.

Fair enough, but putting my moderator's hat on for a moment, let's go easy on this angle. Everyone here is entitled to a view - if posting were limited to baseball insiders it would be a quiet forum. Discuss topics, but not other posters.

Modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,254 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:15 PM

Garry and Grace signed today:

• Dman likes this

#30 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:12 AM

Nice. Was hoping they’d land the 9th and 10th rounders. The high school kids are probably my favorite in the draft after Larnach
  • nicksaviking and Dman like this

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,254 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

Nice note from Regi Grace to Mississippi State. 

• Carole Keller, nicksaviking and Monkeypaws like this

#32 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:27 PM

MLB has Williams as signed for $10,000.

Is this right???
Only $10K

#33 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

Is this right??? Only $10K

Websites have him listed as a senior at Clemson. The chooice would be Twins or indie ball

#34 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

$225,000 for Willie Joe Gary per MLB.com.Not too bad for a high schooler.

• nicksaviking likes this

#35 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,313 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:31 PM

Websites have him listed as a senior at Clemson. The chooice would be Twins or indie ball

I don't think he was a projected top ten round talent was he? 

I don't think he got screwed over or anything, he was probably looking at that figure regardless who drafted him or when but at least now gets to wear getting picked in the 8th round as a badge of honor.

#36 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids

• Twins Writers
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:18 PM

I don't think he got screwed over or anything, he was probably looking at that figure regardless who drafted him or when but at least now gets to wear getting picked in the 8th round as a badge of honor.

I think Chris Williams was picked right around where he was supposed to go based on talent. However, him signing for just $10K isn't that unusual for a college senior, even ones picked in the Top 10 rounds.

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,500 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

Or getting a job where he won't lose money.....but for baseball? Sure.

• Seth Stohs likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#38 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

At some point with draft order money does become an issue,Spending more to entice a player or finding someone you can spend less on but still like.I don't think as you get to the later rounds of the draft the difference between a round or two for the players makes that much difference.It becomes what do you see in the player that you can make into a good player.

#39 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

Or getting a job where he won't lose money.....but for baseball? Sure.

Choices, consequences.The entertainment industry is loaded with people working for little of nothing, hoping to make it big.

#40 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,254 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:51 PM

I just marked a bunch of later-round picks that have signed... I know there are others still, but I'll hopefully get those added soon. Andrew can do more digging for details... I just put "Signed". 

• Carole Keller likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb draft