Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: LAA 4, MIN 2: Bullpen, Bats Spoil Strong Start from Lynn

lance lyyn robbie grossman miguel sano ryan pressly addison reed
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,966 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:13 AM

But more important, I don't see why they wouldn't be comfortable giving him a qualifying offer to a one year contract at the end of the year.

Players can't get more than 1 qualifying offer in their career anymore, per the new CBA. So we couldn't offer one to Lynn.
  • h2oface and Danchat like this

#22 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

A couple of comments from the Far East. This was the second game I was able to watch on TV this season, interestingly both were Lynn vs.the Angels. Lynn looked awful the last time he pitched; this time, he was a completely different hombre. He was superb.

Pressly may be tired, but what was more disconcerting was his pitch selection. Of the first 18 pitches he threw, I believe that only three were fastballs. Maldonado and Kinsler were both sitting on breaking balls, and each finally, got one they could rip. This visibly upset Pressly and he proceeded to fire four straight fastballs to an overmatched Trout. I don't who is to blame for this (Pressly, Garver, Pitching coaches?), but when a guy can bring heat at 95+, he should be throwing that pitch often. The old tried and true adage applies here: If you're gonna get beat, get beat with your best pitch.

Edited by Aerodeliria, 09 June 2018 - 10:37 AM.

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn and rv78 like this

#23 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

I can give Reed the benefit of the doubt, because he has a track record with heavy usage.

Pressly's track record is not so good when Molly leans on him.

#24 wavedog

wavedog

Twins fan since 1969

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

Surprised Duffy is being sent down he has pitched well recently. I would rather have seen Pressly get a little DL break - possibly Reed as well.They have been used so much I think they need a rest break.Seems like when they have been brought in recently they each surrendered runs.Other option is bat Pressly at leadoff in the lineup and pinch-hit for him first at-bat so Molly can't use him for a couple of games. 

#25 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:49 AM

Dozier 0/4 2Ks

Sano 1/4 3Ks

LaMarre 0/3 3 Ks

Adrianza? PH for LaMarre?

This team needs new hitters that can make contact and recognize pitches- STAT!

Just a little tidbit of info. in the last 10 games.

Rosario 39 AB 2K

Sano 43 AB 20K

• 70charger, Danchat and mikelink45 like this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Is Wade going to AAA finally, since they are down an OF?

Not sure I get this move, they need arms, I think.

The Angels are missing a ton of players sure to injury. Maybe success isn't all about health....
  • h2oface and D.C Twins like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#27 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

Your comments about Lance Lynn improving his value got me thinking.To move him in July will require their getting an excellent return. 

He may be one of the better pitchers available to contending teams.But more important, I don't see why they wouldn't be comfortable giving him a qualifying offer to a one year contract at the end of the year.He wasn't acquired mid-season, so I believe they would get a COMP pick if he signed elsewhere.Would that be a first round or second round pick?So any offer would have to be for something better than that in players and or International money.

Lynn's implosion to start the year can just be thrown out the window? Remember, this is after TJ surgery that took 2016 and some of 2017. A good month can be disregarded very easily for Gibson, but for Lynn? I won't be holding my breath for a substantial return if Lynn is traded. He still has to pitch well for another month. That is yet to be seen. I hope he does.

#28 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

I am not sure I can criticize Molitor on BP use.We do not have the arm that we can ride like some teams.Our collection is definitely middle of the pack, not an outstanding pen and with the current over use of the pen by all teams I do not think there is a great formula.However, using a pitcher (Pressly) until he burns out is not good strategy.Berrios pitching 9 and Gibson 7 is a good formula.

I am running out of ideas for this team and my desire to see some of our upside minor league players is not going to fly with this FO.

#29 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

Lynn's implosion to start the year can just be thrown out the window? Remember, this is after TJ surgery that took 2016 and some of 2017. A good month can be disregarded very easily for Gibson, but for Lynn? I won't be holding my breath for a substantial return if Lynn is traded. He still has to pitch well for another month. That is yet to be seen. I hope he does.

Yes it can be thrown out the window.Why, because he didn't have more than a few days of spring training.  

#30 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

Yes it can be thrown out the window.Why, because he didn't have more than a few days of spring training.  

Maybe. I can't, however. He had plenty of time, for the grizzly vet that he is, and he kept throwing on his own. He didn't come to camp unprepared. And regardless, each and every appearance counts. He said he was ready. I am not one to say he doesn't know what he is talking about. And a player can only get one qualifying offer, now (at least two years old rule, I believe), so no comp pick or anything else.

I saw Nolasco have good months, too. That didn't fool me either. Nor other GM's that could have acquired him.

Edited by h2oface, 10 June 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#31 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

I am not sure I can criticize Molitor on BP use. We do not have the arm that we can ride like some teams. Our collection is definitely middle of the pack, not an outstanding pen and with the current over use of the pen by all teams I do not think there is a great formula. However, using a pitcher (Pressly) until he burns out is not good strategy. Berrios pitching 9 and Gibson 7 is a good formula.

I am running out of ideas for this team and my desire to see some of our upside minor league players is not going to fly with this FO.

In that case Molitor could have made his point by using Hughes and the rule 5 guy (yes, I have already forgotten his name) in higher leverage spots due to the lack of options. Would they have failed? Probably. But, if I’m Molitor I go the press conference and say “I gotta use the guys I have.” That shifts the blame to Falvine for having 2 useless pitchers on the roster for 4-5 weeks.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, mikelink45 and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lance lyyn, robbie grossman, miguel sano, ryan pressly, addison reed