Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Jose Berrios and Enjoyable Baseball

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,748 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:05 PM

I love the strikeouts, all the innings pitched are great, his demeanor on the mound is fantastic. But the best part about him is that as of late he is a Mark Buehrle fashioned wizard.

Game time:

6/1: 2:39

5/27: 2:18

5/21: 2:35

5/15: 2:24

I think he wrapped up today's game start-to-finish over my lunch break. 

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, glunn and 14 others like this

#2 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,434 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:33 PM

You have a 2 1/2 hr lunch hour?
  • ashburyjohn, glunn, Mike Sixel and 6 others like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,748 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:51 PM

Shsh

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief and glunn like this

#4 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

Quiet narc!

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, glunn and 1 other like this

#5 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,434 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

Quiet narc!

Takes one to know one :P
  • USAFChief and glunn like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#6 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:13 PM

When I watch games on MLB, I always enjoy most those pitchers who get the ball back from the pitcher and get right back to business. To me, that infers focus on the game, not on one's self.

Berríos has that in spades.

• USAFChief, glunn, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:22 PM

By far the most enjoyable, entertaining, and GOOD SP the Twins have had in a long time. I try to watch as many of his starts as possible.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Jerr and 2 others like this

#8 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,048 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:40 PM

I love the strikeouts, all the innings pitched are great, his demeanor on the mound is fantastic. But the best part about him is that as of late he is a Mark Buehrle fashioned wizard.

Game time:

2:39

2:18

2:35

2:24

I think he wrapped up today's game start-to-finish over my lunch break. 

Coincidentally, those were also the times of the first four innings of an average Mike Pelfrey start.

• Carole Keller, glunn, Jerr and 10 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

Coincidentally, those were also the times of the first four innings of an average Mike Pelfrey start.

Or the first inning of a Lance Lynn start in April.
  • glunn, gil4 and snepp like this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:16 PM

I want to be positive since I've been critical in other threads...

Berrios has been everything we hoped he would be. I think he may tire some later in the year and not be as effective. In future years he will be in the Cy Young conversation.

Romero is meeting our hopes too, which is a great situation. Fix the bullpen, add a good bench player, and we're cooking with gas this season.
  • glunn, nicksaviking, notoriousgod71 and 2 others like this

#11 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:24 PM

Agree, I love watching him pitch.

For anyone who might still believe in ethnic personality stereotypes, contemplate the enormous diversity of personalities and attitudes of the Twins' most prominent Latino players: Berrios, Rosario, Escobar, Sano, Santana. Quite a range there!

• ashburyjohn, glunn, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,829 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

When I watch games on MLB, I always enjoy most those pitchers who get the ball back from the pitcher and get right back to business. To me, that infers focus on the game, not on one's self.

Berríos has that in spades.

It's by now a cliche for coaches to tell young players to slow the game down - that they can get eaten up, pitcher or batter alike, if they let the game dictate their approach to it. You look up, and find that you've struck out twice on just six pitches, or given up a 5 run inning, seemingly before you even got set up to compete.

But, at some point the young player turns the corner and gains the confidence to want to speed the game up and apply that pressure to the opponent. Berrios seems to have reached that point some time ago, and embraced it.

• glunn, Han Joelo, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

Trust everybody ... then cut the cards.

#13 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

I have always felt Berrios would turn in to a top of the rotation starter. And not just due to his stuff. He has a tremdous work ethic, desire to excel, as well as a bulldog mentality. Coming up through the system, he might have struggled initially at a level, but always seemed to make adjustments. (Also feel Gonsalves has that ability as well, FWIW). Now, whether or not he becomes a true ACE we probably won't know for a while.

But it wasn't that long ago some were wondering if he could figure it all out. Some wanted to call him a bust after some initial struggles. I think we should keep that in mind when we sometimes debate Buxton and Sano, both, I believe, still 24yo.

Berrios, Romero, Gonsalves, Graterol before you know it, (hopefully), and maybe Thorpe? WOW!
  • glunn, nicksaviking and Monkeypaws like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:15 PM

Agree, I love watching him pitch.

For anyone who might still believe in ethnic personality stereotypes, contemplate the enormous diversity of personalities and attitudes of the Twins' most prominent Latino players: Berrios, Rosario, Escobar, Sano, Santana. Quite a range there!

Santana has perhaps the best personality in baseball, in my humble opinion. Miss that guy.

• Carole Keller, glunn, Jerr and 3 others like this

#15 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:39 PM

Santana has perhaps the best personality in baseball, in my humble opinion. Miss that guy.

Also a big fan in Santana. And I don't think he's done! Even with the rotation full at this point, I believe he will still contribute this season.

Only thing is, would there be room next season even with a reduced contract? I hate to say no, but May, Gonsalves, Slegers, Littell, Pineda and maybe even Thorpe or Graterol at some point all to fill in for the departing Lynn (departing in theory) 2018 may be it for Santana in a Twins uniform.
  • glunn and bighat like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#16 Broker

Broker

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minn.

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

"When I watch games on MLB, I always enjoy most those pitchers who get the ball back from the pitcher and get right back to business. To me, that infers focus on the game, not on one's self." Monkeypaws

I agree. Too many of the longer games feature the pitcher or pitchers just screwing around on the mound. Today's game featured 9 runs I believe. As fast as these guys run it doesn't take much time to score a few runs as long as the pitchers keep the ball coming to them.

• glunn, Jerr and Monkeypaws like this

#17 tbhysgb

tbhysgb

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

Some pitchers can really use being quick to their advantage. You set the pace, you control the tempo you keep rallies down. Look at how Buehrle used to handcuff the twins.I also think that helps in going deep into the ball game. 

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:45 PM

Game time for 6/13

3:08

Another good start from him today...

#19 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

Would someone remind Molly we have other relief pitchers besides Pressley and Reed? 

• Danchat likes this

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,748 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:54 PM

Game time for 6/13
3:08
Another good start from him today...

Probably would have been shorter but he was stalling knowing what the bullpen was about to do.