Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 2018 MLB Draft Day 3 Thread

mlb draft
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Some intriguing names picked by the Twins.Day 3 has historically been a bit of a crapshot for them though. 

Going back the last 10 years, I could only find 5 guys they have drafted that on day 3 (rounds 11+) that have made it up to the Twins. 

Trevor Hildenberger - 2014 - Round 22
Zack Granite - 2013 - Round 14
Taylor Rogers - 2012 -Round 11
Ryan O'Rourke - 2010 - Round 13
Michael Tonkin - 2008 - Round 30

Am I missing anyone?  

These guys certainly are all long shots on Day 3, but a ten year history is really only a seven year history or so because no player from any round has made the MLB team from the past three drafts.

If you go from 2005-2014 you get to add Valnecia, Manship, Slama, Burnett, Tosoni. Day 3 picks seem to average about one MLB player a year.

Not to speak of the quality of that player.

#42 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Luke Ritter and Zach Thomas look intriguing. I wonder if we can get them to sign. I liked the strategy of going after college players in top conferences. That seemed to be a theme in this draft. With the previous brain trust there seemed to be a lot of college picks from mid-major conferences. There is an ocean of talent between the lower end division one conferences and the SEC, ACC, and Pac12s of the world- which are almost like glorified minor leagues.

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#43 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,624 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:34 AM

Luke Ritter and Zach Thomas look intriguing. I wonder if we can get them to sign. I liked the strategy of going after college players in top conferences. That seemed to be a theme in this draft. With the previous brain trust there seemed to be a lot of college picks from mid-major conferences. There is an ocean of talent between the lower end division one conferences and the SEC, ACC, and Pac12s of the world- which are almost like glorified minor leagues.

That's been one of the tricks the Cardinals have used over the years. Draft a lot of college players from tough conferences. You won't get a lot of stars doing that, but you should end up with serviceable major leaguers.
  • d-mac likes this

#44 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

It doesn't say a whole lot.... But there might be a nugget here...

https://www.fangraph...ue-draft-recap/
  • ashburyjohn likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb draft