Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Playoffs in the Minors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

For the less educated of us, could someone give us an update on the playoff races with our minor league teams?

I know that Elizabethton is in a winner-take-all death match with Burlington tonight for the Appy Championship.

Ft. Myers, the GCL Twins, and (I believe this is right) Rochester have all been eliminated from playoff contention.

Could we get an update on Beloit and New Britain's playoff hopes?

I think one of them has a spot secured, but I am not sure which one.

#2 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

New Britain: They are 1 game away from being eliminated from the playoffs by the Reading Phillies. Both teams play today, but not against one another. So, if the Rockcats win, and the Phillies lose, the teams will be tied for the final playoff spot, and will (I believe) play a play-in game tomorrow. If both the Rockcats and Phillies win today, or lose today, New Britain is done for the season.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#3 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Beloit is in the playoffs. They will open their best of 3 quarterfinal series on Wednesday night at Clinton (games 2-3 will be in Beloit).

Midwest League plays a split season format, which means they start over at mid season with all teams 0-0. The two division winners and runners-up in the 'first half' qualify for the playoffs. Similarly, the division champs and runners-up in the second half qualify. (If a team that already qualified in the first half finishes 1 or 2 in the second half, they take the next team in line in the second half standings).

In this case, Beloit finished 2nd in the first half western division standings and they play a best of 3 series against the second half western division champions, the Lumber Kings.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]