Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Three Potential Catcher Upgrades on the Trade Market

mitch garver bobby wilson
  • Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

The Twins have Winston Sawyer hitting .340 and Willians Astudillo hitting .280 in Rochester and Brian Navaretto hitting .270 in Chattanooga. How about giving one of them a shot before looking outside the organization? Despite the Cleveland series, I still think the Twins have no chance at the playoffs this year. Let's hold off on stripping the farm for a while.

#42 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:06 AM

I'm interested in Rupp and I'm sure that plays out first.

• Thrylos and slash129 like this

#43 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,955 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

I'm not terribly against A and B if the cost is relatively cheap. I do agree with everyone else that option C is best. We will need a C next year and the year after too, so getting a top catcher does make sense if the front office agrees that our window is here now.

That, however, will be very expensive. I'm guessing it starts with Lewis and likely Kirilloff as well. Even then, I'd guess there's some other prospects being thrown in.

With that, it improves a black hole in the lineup, but it still doesn't solve the fact that for this team to go deep, they need to get Buxton and Sano doing something close to their potential with Polanco returning and producing as well.

#44 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,882 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

I tend to agree with this. Garver is a rookie and not playing daily. Why? Because Molitor doesn't believe in him? Or because Molitor is letting him grow and develop instead of thrusting him to the daily job? If it's the former, may be time to pony up. It takes quality to get quality. In fact, I'm wondering how the Twins will be able to hold on to some guys in regard to next year's 40 man and rule V draft. If Molitor actually likes the game calling and potential of Garver, then a better veteran to split time and learn from makes the most sense. Could the Twins offer and afford to part with Gonsalves and Gordon to Miami? Absolutely. Would it hurt? Absolutely. Which means it sounds about right with another piece thrown in.

As I mentioned a week or two ago, I think the loss of Castro actually hurts Garver.

Playing ~50 games and chatting up one of the better framers and receivers in the league 100 other days of the season could be a boon for Garver's game going forward.

Because as it stands now, I wince when I see Garver in the starting lineup because I know I'm going to suffer through at least 4-5 really ugly catches in the game.

• USAFChief and Blake like this

#45 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,291 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

The Twins have Winston Sawyer hitting .340 and Willians Astudillo hitting .280 in Rochester and Brian Navaretto hitting .270 in Chattanooga. How about giving one of them a shot before looking outside the organization? Despite the Cleveland series, I still think the Twins have no chance at the playoffs this year. Let's hold off on stripping the farm for a while.

Trading two prospects isn't stripping the farm.
  • Vanimal46, SF Twins Fan and Tomj14 like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#46 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

Nick, any reason Wilson Ramos isn't on this list? Seems like a more logical candidate than Flowers, given the Rays have already started selling (Colome).

• h2oface likes this

#47 joefish

joefish

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:03 AM

Garver has no fire. No life. No emotion. Too many passed balls. For the right replacement/upgrade, anybody we have could be traded.

#48 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

We have been waiting for Sano to develop into Micky Mantle, and that’s not going to happen.

Where did this comp come from? Killer or Schmitty seem the more obvious dreams.

• Dantes929 likes this

#49 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:13 AM

Brian Navaretto. I'm a fan, I think he's going to be very good

AA player with career 547 OPS comes to save the day .... LOLOLOLOL

• Tomj14 likes this

#50 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:16 AM

Trading two prospects isn't stripping the farm.

Depends on what prospects you're talking about.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#51 Tomj14

Tomj14

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

Depends on what prospects you're talking about.

Even if those two are Lewis and Gordon, it might hurt but wouldn't be stripping the farm.

What would be interesting would be an article on who will be on the 40 next year and which minor leaguers will have to be added or left available in the Rule 5.

#52 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

The answer is obvious. I see Escobar has caught a game already in his career. Everyone ok with an .875 OPS from our catcher?

• USAFChief, Blake, Mike Sixel and 7 others like this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#53 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

The answer is obvious. I see Escobar has caught a game already in his career. Everyone ok with an .875 OPS from our catcher?

To be fair Rupp has done that over the course of his career ............ against LHP

#54 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

Even if those two are Lewis and Gordon, it might hurt but wouldn't be stripping the farm.

For an organization that is lacking a ton of high upside talent in the farm system, yeah that would be a pretty big deal.

#55 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

Also, Escobar has a career 0.00 catcher's ERA. (Coaxed a 1-2-3 inning from Chris Gimenez.)

• USAFChief, Blake, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this

#56 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,941 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

What would be interesting would be an article on who will be on the 40 next year and which minor leaguers will have to be added or left available in the Rule 5.

Roster Resource is pretty good for that:

https://www.rosterre...innesota-twins/

Gordon, Wade, and Tyler Jay are the main guys who will need to be added. A few more relievers could be too (Nick Anderson, Andrew Vasquez).

• Dantes929 and Tomj14 like this

#57 Tomj14

Tomj14

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:58 AM

Good stuff, thanks

#58 Tomj14

Tomj14

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

For an organization that is lacking a ton of high upside talent in the farm system, yeah that would be a pretty big deal.

agreed, but in theory wouldn't they be getting one player back that is considered as good or better?

(also assuming if they traded those two or any high two, it wouldn't be for a rental)

#59 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

Realmuto would not come cheap. He's been a 3.5 WAR catcher the last two years. He's on his way to a 4-5 WAR season. He has 2-1/2 yrs of control. His WAR value is roughly $80M. He'll probably make $15M in arbitration, plus a remaining $2M this year. That leaves a net value of roughly $60-$65M.

Great research provided by the Point of Pittsburgh has been used by FG to derive rough values for prospects. Gordon and Gonsalves are worth about $50M. The Twins would have to add a couple more prospects to make a deal. Maybe Rooker/ Rortvedt or Javier/Garver? 

IMO this is a decent estimate for an All-Star catcher in his prime. That's a lot of good prospects. The trade would also force the Twins to sign either Dozier, Escobar or a FA middle IF next year.  

As excited as I am to see Gordon, I'd probably make the trade. The Twins SP is in a good window the next few years and Sano/Buxton/Polanco should all be on the field together at some point. JT would be a good fit.

• Twins33, markos, spycake and 1 other like this

#60 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

If I'm the Marlins, any Realmuto trade talks have to start with a top 50 prospect in all of baseball.

• dbminn likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitch garver, bobby wilson