Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 2018 MLB Draft Day 2 Thread

mlb draft
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

DaShawn Keirsey - he's a year-plus removed from a catastrophic injury sustained running into the center field wall.Presumably would have fallen a bit as he didn't have normal summer experience/exposure last year.Presumably healthy/fully recovered.Toolsy.Don't know about the prospects for power, though he has decent size.

Seems like the exact kind of risk to take in the 4th round: someone with skills+performance to be drafted a round or so earlier but is recovering from injury. 

• glunn, 70charger, RaymondLuxuryYacht and 2 others like this

#22 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

With a guy like Keirsey it's gotta be all about spin rate, right?Just in case he needs to take the mound late in a blowout game and mop up.

#23 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

Man do we love "toolsy outfielders"

• gunnarthor, Dman and caninatl04 like this

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,748 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:35 PM

Fangraphs had him 110th.....here is the summary:

Athletic enigma who has dealt with injury issues, which may have masked his skills.

• glunn and d-mac like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#25 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Will Keirsey be difficult to sign?Coming off the injury, he may feel he could go back to Utah and move up a couple rounds next year?Otherwise like the pick of a guy who has upside, if healthy. 

• glunn likes this

#26 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids

• Twins Writers
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:48 PM

Will Keirsey be difficult to sign?Coming off the injury, he may feel he could go back to Utah and move up a couple rounds next year?Otherwise like the pick of a guy who has upside, if healthy. 

Not really, he already proved that he is back from his injury after a big year this year, and next year he will be a college senior so he probably wouldn't get a better deal anyway.

• Carole Keller, glunn, gil4 and 1 other like this

#27 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:48 PM

I don't have any inside info, but I can't imagine that'll be an issue. Even if he went back and had a great year, he'll be a year older and would have zero leverage as a college senior. Was the No. 124 overall pick, there's a lot more opportunity to slide down from there than there is to climb up.

• glunn likes this

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,748 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:52 PM

Also, at this point....they probably have close to an agreement in place......so I doubt he goes back to school.

• glunn and d-mac like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#29 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

Cole Sands is the next pick. Pitcher out of Florida State. Pick 154 and MLB has him ranked at 116. Seems promising.

• gunnarthor and Bob Sacamento like this

#30 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

Cole Sands out of Florida State - a real live pitcher in the 5th.

#31 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

Also, at this point....they probably have close to an agreement in place......so I doubt he goes back to school.

True, True, True and True.Was just wondering with my fingers on the keys.

Looking at their #5 round pick, reminds me a lot of the guy they took around here last year, Barnes.Nothing real flashy, but solid.Will see!

#32 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

Cole Sands is the next pick. Pitcher out of Florida State. Pick 154 and MLB has him ranked at 116. Seems promising.

Sounds like he can stick as a starter. Reads more like a guy out of the Slowey/Baker/Duensing cloth.

• markos and d-mac like this

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,620 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:00 PM

Scouting report onSands. https://2080baseball...ght/cole-sands/

• Bob Sacamento likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Been decent in the Cape Cod League. Not sure how the ACC was this year, but numbers there seem decent.

http://thebaseballcu...e.asp?ID=197582

• caninatl04 likes this

#35 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,575 posts

Sounds like he can stick as a starter. Reads more like a guy out of the Slowey/Baker/Duensing cloth.

Seems like if you can get that out of round five you're doing better than most.

• James likes this

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,748 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

Number 78 on FG:

Has cleaned up his delivery since high school, regularly shows three above average pitches

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,748 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:08 PM

KLAW just posted this.....in chat:

Cole Sands left his last start of the year with an injury, but the Twins just took him in the 5th round. That's a mild surprise to me - maybe the injury turned out to be nothing.

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,748 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:10 PM

here's one I didn't expect to read, given how much KLAW likes Lewis:

Kyle
2:59 Would Royce Lewis have been your top position player in this draft?
Keith Law
3:00 No.

• gunnarthor likes this

#39 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

Sands' repertoire certainly sounds enticing. Safe to assume the last two picks had their stock hurt to some extent due to injuries. Maybe not a bad strategy to scoop those guys up and hope they blossom.

Worst case scenario is Sands has an injury that'll cause him to miss time, but I mean pretty much every pitcher gets a major injury at some point. But, I would also assume the Twins have done a lot of legwork in finding out just how serious Sands' injury really is. 

• glunn likes this

#40 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

KLAW just posted this.....in chat:

Cole Sands left his last start of the year with an injury, but the Twins just took him in the 5th round. That's a mild surprise to me - maybe the injury turned out to be nothing.

Found this recap of that game:

Starting pitcher Cole Sands (7-4) allowed a two-run home run and faced just one more batter before exiting with what head coach Mike Martin described as right shoulder tightness in the postgame press conference.

He had been battling tendinitis in April as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb draft