Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Select Trevor Larnach in the First Round of the 2018 Draft

mlb draft
  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:21 PM

As I've mentioned in posts on other threads, I am guessing that he agreed to be signed under slot so the Twins can make a statement with their second round pick. 

Were do you think we'll see him first?GCL? Elizabethton?Maybe Cedar Rapids?

• glunn and KirbyDome89 like this

#22 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

As I've mentioned in posts on other threads, I am guessing that he agreed to be signed under slot so the Twins can make a statement with their second round pick. 

Were do you think we'll see him first?GCL? Elizabethton?Maybe Cedar Rapids?

Playing the Gophers next weekend.

• Thrylos, jokin, NapoleonComplex and 1 other like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#23 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

I don't know much about the guy. But, all you hear these days are that guys with limited defensive ability/flexibilty, limited athletic ability, and decent bats/power are pretty replaceable. It doesn't seem to difficult to find a RF/1B/DH type that can hit a little bit for cheap (Logan Morrison darn near had to pay his way onto a roster after nearly hitting 40 HRs).

So, that being the case, I hope the kid can flat-out rake. It seems like Rooker was a more established hitter who was closer to majors and was taken later in the draft. Kind of head scratching. So, maybe more upside is there?

I would've preferred one of the pitchers, but who am I to say. If they use this to pick up a guy a little later that falls due to signability issues (Enlow type), I'll feel pretty good about it.
  • markos and DocBauer like this

#24 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

True middle-of-the-order bats are not easily replaceable. Having one big year like Morrison doesn't qualify (as we are seeing this season).

No one knows for sure if Larnach will reach a high offensive ceiling, but it's fairly obvious why a team would be interested in a guy like that at #20. 

• birdwatcher, twinssouth and d-mac like this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#25 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

SeƱor Member

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

Trevor Larnach looks athletic and strong, but a couple small flaws jumped out at me.

First, that recoil on his outfield throws must go away. Coaches have to tell him to continue moving towards his target after the throw. Throw the ball, then go pick a fight with the guy that catches the ball. 

Second, the follow through on his swing is too stiff at the end. He needs to relax his hands and let the bat finish without him stopping it, like Joe Mauer does. That will add a few mph to his hits, and maybe spare him some pulled muscles. 

Trevor Larnach has the body of a serious young power hitter. Big thighs, rangy build. He'll be a masher for sure. 

• birdwatcher, TNTwinsFan, gagu and 1 other like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#26 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:17 PM

Yep. That's my problem. This pick seems clearly not to be BPA. On the surface, this pick seems like Daniel Palka regret redux.

Perhaps the braintrust is contemplating changing the configuration in RF @ Target Field in the years ahead... with a bevy of thumping LH bats and a couple RH bats like Sano with the power to poke the outside pitch just enough over an extended overhang in RF?

Palka has been pretty good in his first month or so of his MLB for the White Sox... 

Plus even if the pick isn't BPA, they can spend more money on the next draft pick. That worked out really well last year.

• d-mac likes this

#27 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:18 PM

When Jay was selected I really wanted Benintendi. Maybe the FO doesn't want to make that same mistake. I'm sure if they liked a college arm enough, they would have gone in that direction. Benintendi won golden spikes, Larnach has a chance to do the same. 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#28 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

Ryan Jeffers in the 2nd?

#29 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

Plus even if the pick isn't BPA, they can spend more money on the next draft pick. That worked out really well last year.

I doubt the went over slot for Ryan Jeffers.

#30 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:19 PM

MLB draft is the biggest crapshoot of all the drafts and we al know this. For every top 1st round pick, you are almost as likely to have a 2-10 round pick to become a major contributor for your team. Of course, this changes somewhat if picking at the top of the board. He seems like a solid pick considering the hit tool came first, and the power later, without sacrifice, this would seem to speak of potential. And Oregon State has absolutely been a premier program the last few years. Not knocking the kid, who I hope turns out to be a stud, but I do have to agree that picking 20, and with a pretty stocked system, I think I would have rather seen someone with "upside" even if not as safe a pick. Especially on the mound or behind the plate. But what do I know? Absolutely nothing in this case.
  • Dman, gagu and Doctor Wu like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#31 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:42 PM

A thought came to me tonight when discussing tonight's draft, as well as reflecting on past Twins picks in this spot as stated to begin the article, a few years back the Twins spent the 30th pick on Levi Michael, SS, from North Carolina. The Twins were rather desperate at the time to find a quality middle infielder or two. Despite being a late 1st round pick, IIRC, Michael was seen as not only a safe pick, but a pretty good one, from a powerhouse program playing the college World Series. He had a fine career for a big program in a major conference and didn't track as anything special, but just a fine all around player/prospect. Maybe even a bit of a steal at the 30th spot. You just never know, do you?
  • Doctor Wu likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#32 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:17 AM

Who needs pitching, anyway.

• Thrylos, Dman, Miles Tones and 1 other like this

#33 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:29 AM

Who knows which outfielders will still be here long term by the time he gets here.I am guessing 2021 at the eariest. Sano (if he is here long term) or Rooker will be 1B and DH.Only if they retain all the outfielders will he have a problem with a spot (if he makes it).  

I might have rolled the dice with a pitcher, but that is much riskier and Twins have a number of pitchers knocking on the door now.

#34 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:36 AM

Looks big.How tall is he? Don't see any information anywhere on size and weight.

Aaron Judg-ish?

#35 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,768 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:31 AM

Looks big.How tall is he? Don't see any information anywhere on size and weight.

Aaron Judg-ish?

6-4, 213 as listed at the Oregon State site.  

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#36 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:33 AM

On the surface, or at least from my hackneyed perspective, Larnach looks like a rather underwhelming pick, one that doesn't move the needle either way for me. Lots of comparisons to Rooker, so I'm not sure what he offers that the Twins are looking for. Then again, as others have noted, the draft is indeed a crapshoot, so who really knows how these players will pan out over the next few years. All we can hope is that, as they did last year, the front office did their homework and targeted some players with true tools and potential.

#37 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,768 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:33 AM

The only problem I have with this pick is that he is yet another LH OF.With Rosario and Kepler in the bigs hopefully for a while, and Kirilloff ready in about 3 seasons (similar ETA with Larnach,) I really do not see a need for yet another lefty corner OF.

Starting LHPs on the other hand...

• Dman, DocBauer and jud6312 like this
-----

#38 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:44 AM

Never heard of this kid before last night.Doesn't mean much as I hadn't heard of 99% of the players who will be drafted.

But as I read about him this morning I began to wonder.Could he turn into a player similar to Michael Cuddyer?Good average with reasonable power.Defensively, not that great, but he got better by putting in a lot of work over the years.Should this be the case, it would turn out to be a great pick!

#39 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:01 AM

The only problem I have with this pick is that he is yet another LH OF.With Rosario and Kepler in the bigs hopefully for a while, and Kirilloff ready in about 3 seasons (similar ETA with Larnach,) I really do not see a need for yet another lefty corner OF.

Starting LHPs on the other hand...

Can always trade an OF for a P, I guess? Not sure that's the best business model, but maybe this front office is more confident in their ability to evaluate pitching and thinks they can find some hidden gems here on Day 2?

Question marks intentional, I'm just throwing out theories here. 

• Dman likes this

#40 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,768 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

Can always trade an OF for a P, I guess? Not sure that's the best business model, but maybe this front office is more confident in their ability to evaluate pitching and thinks they can find some hidden gems here on Day 2?

Question marks intentional, I'm just throwing out theories here. 

I think that the best bet for a Day 2 hidden gem of a pitcher is a high school pitcher.The problem with high school pitchers is that they rarely have developed their secondary pitches yet (if they did they would not be on the board) and that selections depend on subjective scout projections.They are a crapshoot even at day one (paging Mr. Stewart)

Yeah, can always trade an OF for a pitcher; however why not pick one at the first place?Also, and I know it is a partially different Front Office, but the Twins do not have a good record on the OF for P trades (and P for OF as well.)

Edited by Thrylos, 05 June 2018 - 07:20 AM.

• Tom Froemming likes this
-----

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb draft