Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: WOLFSON: Zack Littell to Make MLB Debut Tuesday

zack littell
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,554 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:30 AM

There are lots of baseball decisions I don't like, such as the ridiculous minor league rule for extra innings.But I like the effect the 26th man has had since put on the books (was it last year?). 

It gives teams a chance to bring up top prospects for one game in 'the show.'And what a benefit for those young prospects to get that first feel of what it is like to pitch on the biggest stage.And there are no hard feelings when sent back down because they knew from the start that is what would likely happen.This is one rule that makes sense and is working....love it!

• SQUIRREL, Han Joelo, Kevin and 12 others like this

#22 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:11 AM

His fastball typically sits in the low 90s, but it's said to have a high spin rate and it pairs nicely with his slow curveball. That may not sound like a combination that can dominate,

Tell that to Johan Santana.

It was written years ago that it's not about the fastball velocity alone, but the difference in velocity between the fastball and the changeup. Too little of a difference doesn't work, nor does too much of a difference. There's a 'sweet spot.'

Edited by Doomtints, 03 June 2018 - 09:11 AM.

• gil4 likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#23 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

There are lots of baseball decisions I don't like, such as the ridiculous minor league rule for extra innings.But I like the effect the 26th man has had since put on the books (was it last year?). 

It gives teams a chance to bring up top prospects for one game in 'the show.'And what a benefit for those young prospects to get that first feel of what it is like to pitch on the biggest stage.And there are no hard feelings when sent back down because they knew from the start that is what would likely happen.This is one rule that makes sense and is working....love it!

And for the Twins, it gives them a chance to drop one game of a doubleheader more often than they should.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:16 AM

I was wondering when this guy would get a chance. Makes sense to use him as the 26th man in a doubleheader.

#25 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,013 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

Who cares about all the other crap, I hope he blows them away!
  • SQUIRREL, blindeke and Nine of twelve like this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#26 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,549 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

Who cares about all the other crap, I hope he blows them away!

It could happen. Remember we're playing the White Sox, and if we can punish them in game 1 their bullpen will be thin. Let's get a sweep!
  • gil4 likes this

#27 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

Normal rest is every 5 days, not 6  Other than Slegers, Littell is the only other starter to choose from that has pitched well this year in Rochester. They might as well see what he has got at the major league level.

I said "basically" normal rest. Both the Twins and Rochester are off on Monday. Unless he's injured, he will be starting Tuesday night for Rochester on his normal turn (with an off day).

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#28 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

I'm not sure what the consternation here is. Littell happens to line up with the start and this is literally a 1 start and then get sent back down type deal. May as well get a look at him. This would have been Gonsalves if his start had lined up with this game.

I'm not sure we can say that with positive certainty. This game is rescheduled from early April. The fact is, Gonsalves has been a little shaky after his first two dominant AAA starts. If the Twins thought he was next up they could have adjusted the rotation schedule for him to pitch Tuesday on normal rest vs. today with Rochester.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#29 adorduan

adorduan

• 710 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

I liked what I saw from Littell in spring training, so I'm excited to see what he can do at the MLB level.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#30 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 476 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

Seemed like a given that Sleggers would get the chance after his outing in KC. Kind o sucks for him, but it will be interesting to see what Littell can do.

Does the rule that a player needs to stay in the minors for 10 days after being sent down apply for the 26th man for a DH?If so, that is one reason Slegers could not be brought back up.

If not, I'm with you Howeda.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#31 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

Does the rule that a player needs to stay in the minors for 10 days after being sent down apply for the 26th man for a DH? If so, that is one reason Slegers could not be brought back up.

If not, I'm with you Howeda.

No, that rule does not apply for 26th man situations.

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,063 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

Congrats and good luck! It must be very exciting to have a dream come true like this.
  • SQUIRREL and Oldgoat_MN like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#33 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,750 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

Wrong again. What you asserted is simply not true. Romero has already been rewarded for his success at Rochester. And, as I noted before, besides Slegers, Littell has now leapfrogged over Slegers and 3 other SPs that have had either proven major league experience and/or some current or prior success at Rochester. Namely, May, Mejia and Gonsalves.

Make no mistake, this is a huge opportunity and a vote of confidence for Littell, the youngest SP in AAA for the Twins.

In a discussion of who is to be called up Romero is no longer an option if you haven’t noticed

#34 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

I was wondering when this guy would get a chance. Makes sense to use him as the 26th man in a doubleheader.

And against the WhiteSox and their AAAA (for now) offense too. That's not a bad way to ease someone in.
  • Brock Beauchamp, nicksaviking and Nine of twelve like this

#35 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:05 PM

I'm not sure we can say that with positive certainty. This game is rescheduled from early April. The fact is, Gonsalves has been a little shaky after his first two dominant AAA starts. If the Twins thought he was next up they could have adjusted the rotation schedule for him to pitch Tuesday on normal rest vs. today with Rochester.

They could have... and they didn't. I don't think there's a need to really do much adjusting. They have guys in Littell, Gonsalves, and Slegers that are all fairly close to or ready for the show. This is a perfect chance to get one of them a look (to be fair, they've already given Slegers a look) and Littell lined up. I don't think it's much more than that. I fully expect to see Gonsalves pitching up here at some point. Given all the weather issues we had, there's going to be a few more 26th man opportunities in the not so distant future.

I also think you'll see more of Slegers.
  • Brock Beauchamp, birdwatcher, brvama and 2 others like this

#36 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

They could have... and they didn't. I don't think there's a need to really do much adjusting. They have guys in Littell, Gonsalves, and Slegers that are all fairly close to or ready for the show. This is a perfect chance to get one of them a look (to be fair, they've already given Slegers a look) and Littell lined up. I don't think it's much more than that. I fully expect to see Gonsalves pitching up here at some point. Given all the weather issues we had, there's going to be a few more 26th man opportunities in the not so distant future.

I also think you'll see more of Slegers.

Yeah, I suspect this was a "who lines up that day?" situation, not some in-depth analysis of a prospect's readiness.

Because no matter how bad or great the start is, the player is headed back to Rochester the moment the game ends. 

• SQUIRREL and diehardtwinsfan like this

#37 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,026 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, I suspect this was a "who lines up that day?" situation, not some in-depth analysis of a prospect's readiness.

Because no matter how bad or great the start is, the player is headed back to Rochester the moment the game ends.

Yeah. And if it were for more than one start they likely would have worked to line it up in a particular way. It’s kind of nice, though, wanting to see a couple of the pitchers rather than choosing the least awful.
  • Brock Beauchamp, birdwatcher and Nine of twelve like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#38 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,181 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:47 PM

Does he have more than two pitches?  An ok 3rd pitch?  I worry about starters who only profile two pitches...

From here:

He has a two-seam fastball that sits at 89-91 and has a cutter like movement, a four-seamer that he throws at 92-93, which plays up because of high spin rate and advanced command. His main secondary offering is a true plus curveball. He also has an above average changeup that works well against LHBs.Littell is a student of the game and he spends a lot of time in advanced preparation before each start studying the opponents' hitters, a practice that will serve him well in the bigs. He has the ceiling of a mid-rotation starter with the possibility of seasons better than that.A young Phil Hughes is a good comparable for Littell, as far as the size and type of pitcher he is, as well as his potential.

So total of 4 pitches.

• rghrbek likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#39 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,181 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

Re: Littell vs Gonsalves vs Others.Littell is the most rested.Plus the last 10 days for Gonsalves:2 GS, 5-2/3 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 7 BB, 6 K.The Twins smartly are going with the most rested and hotter arm.

That said,Omar Bencomo is the hottest starter they have, but like May, he is not on the 40-man roster.As far as May goes, when he moves up, he will move up for good, and someone will need to be taken off the roster.

• rghrbek likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#40 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:16 PM

Re: Littell vs Gonsalves vs Others.Littell is the most rested.Plus the last 10 days for Gonsalves:2 GS, 5-2/3 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 7 BB, 6 K. 

The Twins smartly are going with the most rested and hotter arm.

That said,Omar Bencomo is the hottest starter they have, but like May, he is not on the 40-man roster. 

As far as May goes, when he moves up, he will move up for good, and someone will need to be taken off the roster.

Yep. Littel is the hotter arm of the 3. You can't tell me that Gonsalves' and May's recent struggles didn't play at least a small part in the decision.

It still leaves a question mark on if Slegers "passed the test" or not vs. KC?

Good point on May. Who will be moving down? Magill?

Is Bencomo a legit call-up or just emergency depth?

Edited by jokin, 03 June 2018 - 04:17 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zack littell