Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Going forward, what moves do you think will happen?

• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

#121 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,024 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

Have people saying Realmuto isn't all that.... Have you looked at the last few years of catcher lists, and whose in the top three?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#122 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,742 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

Who cares if the catcher can't hit? His defense is adequate.

Besides, he is hitting much better than the star catcher was before he got injured.

The key to the Twins taking it to the next level is Buxton turning things around. Forget about the catcher.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're also someone who lists the depth of other team's lineups as a reason the Twins arent contenders.

Every lineup spot comes up to hit. Every one filled by a weak hitter costs you runs.
  • bighat likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#123 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

So, until Buxton his, ignore every other issue? I have never understood this argument on this site.

He doesn't have to hit. He has to contribute as Buxton can contribute. He had the best WAR on the team last year based mostly on his defense.  

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#124 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:04 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're also someone who lists the depth of other team's lineups as a reason the Twins arent contenders.

The Twins are contenders, so yes that's quite a limb you're on there. 

Straw man central right there. 

#125 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

Let's wait until some of the middle infielders get out of A ball before declaring them major leaguers. There's absolutely a need for Dozier now and 3 years from now.

There is "absolutely" a need for Dozier 3 years from now?Strong disagree there.And that isn't including anyone from A ball.Sign me up for Gordon, Polanco, Escobar or numerous free agent options over Dozier's age 34 season at ~$12-15 million

• TheLeviathan, Rhino and Compass and wsnydes like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#126 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,024 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:22 AM

He doesn't have to hit. He has to contribute as Buxton can contribute. He had the best WAR on the team last year based mostly on his defense.

You completely ignored the point if that post, and yours. I don't agree they should stand pat, while waiting for Dozier

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#127 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,314 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:33 AM

Why not let Realmuto contribute too? Actually, considering that Buxton is physically unable to contribute right now, wouldn't that make Realmuto's contributions even more valuable?

• Mike Sixel likes this

#128 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,314 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:36 AM

My only concern about JT Realmuto is his initials being too similar to those of JR Murphy. Didn't Murphy switch from initials to "John Ryan" with us, or vice versa? Whatever he did, we should insist that Realmuto do the opposite, as a condition of any trade.

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#129 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,531 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

There is "absolutely" a need for Dozier 3 years from now? Strong disagree there. And that isn't including anyone from A ball. Sign me up for Gordon, Polanco, Escobar or numerous free agent options over Dozier's age 34 season at ~$12-15 million

Any of the numerous free agent options are going to be Dozier's age in the early to mid 30s. You're also advocating Escobar's age 33 season at $8-10 million over Dozier at $12-15 million when Dozier has out performed him every single season?
  • Tomj14 likes this

#130 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Any of the numerous free agent options are going to be Dozier's age in the early to mid 30s. You're also advocating Escobar's age 33 season at $8-10 million over Dozier at $12-15 million when Dozier has out performed him every single season?

Escobar's age 32 season... he's 2 years younger than Dozier.And in my scenario he is option 3 anyways, behind Polanco / Gordon for 2B/SS. 

I wouldn't pay Dozier for what he has done, I would pay him for what I think he will do going forward.I don't think he's going to be very valuable in his age 34 season. 

Is it possible Dozier is on the team in 3 years? Sure.. but to say he will absolutely be needed in 2021 is crazy. 

Edited by alarp33, 06 June 2018 - 11:48 AM.

• SQUIRREL, nicksaviking, beckmt and 2 others like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#131 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

The Marlins would trade Sano straight up for JT, then turn around a trade him for more than they could get for JT.

As much as the Twins fans are down on Sano, he is 24, has a career .831 OPS and while is OBP is low this year he has a career .342.

Imagine if you posted Sano's numbers without his name and said they Twins have a chance to trade for him, what we would offer. I am guessing more than we are willing to offer for JT. IMO

This is how Sano would wind up on the Yankees, via a one-week stint with the Marlins.

Edited by jimbo92107, 06 June 2018 - 11:49 AM.

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#132 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,531 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

Escobar's age 32 season... he's 2 years younger than Dozier. And in my scenario he is option 3 anyways, behind Polanco / Gordon for 2B/SS.

I wouldn't pay Dozier for what he has done, I would pay him for what I think he will do going forward. I don't think he's going to be very valuable in his age 34 season.

Is it possible Dozier is on the team in 3 years? Sure.. but to say he will absolutely be needed in 2021 is crazy.

We'll agree to disagree. The peaks and valleys can be extreme with Dozier, but his stats have been pretty consistent on a macro level over the last 3-4 years.

I can't envision him falling off a cliff production wise by his 34th birthday.

#133 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:53 AM

You completely ignored the point if that post, and yours. I don't agree they should stand pat, while waiting for Dozier

Hey, it's not my fault you changed the subject while I stayed on my original point!

#134 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

Why not let Realmuto contribute too? Actually, considering that Buxton is physically unable to contribute right now, wouldn't that make Realmuto's contributions even more valuable?

Jason Castro

Primary Catcher

Signed until 2020

#135 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,314 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:20 PM

Jason Castro

Primary Catcher

Signed until 2020

How does Castro help in 2018? I thought you said we were contenders right now.

Keep in mind, Castro is only signed for 2019, and he will be turning 32 and coming off a serious injury (plus a slow start in 2018). How much will he even be able to help then?

What should we do about the catcher position for 2020? Doesn't look like that help is coming from the farm. I know we just drafted a guy, but even best case scenario, he's not going to be ready to start at catcher on MLB opening day 2020.

Realmuto is a real answer to all 3 of those questions. If you think the price is too high (and it might be), fine, but Castro (and Buxton?) really have nothing to do with it.

Edited by spycake, 06 June 2018 - 12:21 PM.

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 3 others like this

#136 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:20 PM

Jason Castro
Primary Catcher
Signed until 2020

He’s only signed through 2019.

http://legacy.baseba...innesota-twins/

And neither his salary or skills stand in the way of him being a back up.
  • Platoon likes this

#137 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,314 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

He’s only signed through 2019.

http://legacy.baseba...innesota-twins/

And neither his salary or skills stand in the way of him being a back up.

To be fair, some use the nomenclature "until 2020" to mean the same as "through 2019", although I find it confusing/misleading.

• Tomj14 likes this

#138 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,630 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

We'll agree to disagree. The peaks and valleys can be extreme with Dozier, but his stats have been pretty consistent on a macro level over the last 3-4 years.

I don't know. There are a total of 12 qualified position players 33 or older with a WAR > 0.0 right now; only seven with a WAR > 1.0. 

Five of those seven are Nick Markakis, Jed Lowrie, Brett Gardner, Shin-Soo Choo and Matt Kemp. Four players who their teams long ago regretted signing.

30+-year-old vets have not been fairing as well in the post steroid era. Selfishly, I'm all for cycling them out.

• alarp33 and beckmt like this

#139 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

Dossier is not a player I'd bet on for aging gracefully with production.

I don't know how "needed" he will be, but as far as investments go he is a ridiculously dangerous one IMO.
  • alarp33 and Platoon like this

#140 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,553 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

We are going to use one third of a year's stats now? Come on.

Agree. The Sano hate is ridiculous. I think since Buxton's not around to throw stones at, fans turn to Sano as the punching bag. He's a monster in the middle of a good lineup and is an extremely valuable member of this team.

Put him on any team in the majors right now, and he bats 4th and plays every day.