Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Going forward, what moves do you think will happen?

• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

#81 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,834 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

I agree. Too many people whining and looking for a shinier pebble when we are 5.5 games back of Cleveland and have two remaining in this set.  I don't see how trading starters for prospects does anything but admit defeat and defer contention down the road.And you don't admit defeat on June 1 when only 5.5 games back. I mean, really?

Twins have scored 8,8 and 7 runs the last three games. And in the two losses they staged nice comebacks. Dozier just led a players meeting and I expect that his leadership matters. I'm going to hate to see him go, but I'd keep him and make a QO. Then really try to extend him and the whole OF.  I also think we need to be patient with Bux and Sano. Both have been hurt after all. Mauer, if he wants to try to play next year, gets a contract. Although for more realistic money.

This team is not that far off, but it needs to gel. Polanco comes off suspension after the ASB and he will give us a boost. Meanwhile the pitching is better than expected. LoMo is starting to hit and there is no way they move him with Mauer hurt. If Mauer retires, Sano and LoMo make a nice 1B/DH platoon. 

I'm not throwing in the (crying) towel yet. Those who are getting antsy need to go bobber fishing and learn some patience.  And really, we should fire the reigning Manager of the Year? Seriously?

You seem more antsy than anyone I have seen around here.Almost 100% of your posts are about blasting other posters for criticizing the team.  

At least the critics discuss the team.Your agenda seems to be to talk about posters.I suggest you not react so emotionally to posts.Calm down.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#82 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 742 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:30 PM

So, so, much not to like here. I disagree with your premise that fans that disagree with you are doing it wrong....

Nobody said that. And you don't get to define my message. But I am sure many others think crying "Woe is me"  on June 1 is kinda weak. Thing is, all the trade for trade's sake people are going to leave the team better off how?  Having prospects that may make it to the show in 2020?  Disagree, fine. I am secure in my Twinsgfanness. but have  a reason, and be willing to give it....I don't mind disagreeing, but say why....

Edited by Kelly Vance, 02 June 2018 - 02:42 PM.

#83 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 742 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:33 PM

You seem more antsy than anyone I have seen around here.Almost 100% of your posts are about blasting other posters for criticizing the team.  

At least the critics discuss the team.Your agenda seems to be to talk about posters.I suggest you not react so emotionally to posts.Calm down.

Im Glad You Didn't Take It Personally.....name of a book (sequel actually) By Jim "Ball Four" Bouton.

You seem to stalk me and react to my posts, like it is your new mission.  Still holding a grudge from long ago?  I don't get it. 

Edited by Kelly Vance, 02 June 2018 - 02:43 PM.

• jimmer likes this

#84 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 742 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

You seem far too interested in me. This is a Twins site, and I don't understand why you seem to be so preoccupied with little old formidable me. I think making every post a personal thing is you, not me. Im sure it bores others. 

Note to moderators.  Yeah, I know

Edited by Kelly Vance, 02 June 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#85 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,348 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

Mod note: enough. All of you.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, diehardtwinsfan and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#86 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,729 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:53 PM

I think the Padres are very satisfied with the return of Chris Paddock for Rodney.

Paddock does not show up on prospect lists. He is currently in highA. He is doing well.He has a chance, like Moya, like Mejia, like Palka.Paddock might work out like Escobar or he might be Hernandez.The Padres are happy that they got a prospect with a pulse. 2 years after the trade they have a player that is still nowhere near the majors. That iswhat you get

#87 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,767 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:21 PM

What WILL happen? Absolutely nothing, barring injuries, except maybe a few bullpen arms up and down and the hopeful return of Mauer and Buxton. (But I'm truly concerned about Joe at this point).

Why? Because #1, nothing major happens until mid season anyway, and #2, as terrible as the team has played at times, they have also had good stretches, against good teams, and was actually out together pretty well overall.

At some point, both May and Santana may be ready to help. July 1st??? It's not unreasonable to expect that. Gonsalves, Slegers, Littell and Mejia offer real depth potential. With that being said, I could Lynn moved to a contending team for a viable return, especially if the Twins lick up all or most of his salary. I feel Duke and Rodney could be moved at some point, but could just as easily finish the season. (Either or both could be brought back).

The problem/issue is not selling/dumping, it's getting the position players to just perform as capable. (A little better injury luck would help). Rochester will provide depth and some interesting/good dilemmas with auditions/promotions. Someone lime Davis or Vargas could potentially get a shot to provide a boost if Mauer is out long term or done. But other than an upgrade over Adrianza so he can return to the bench, (Escobar at SS more and a return of Polanco does this), a better option at backup catcher could be interesting/possible.
  • rdehring likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#88 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,488 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:24 PM

Paddock does not show up on prospect lists. He is currently in highA. He is doing well.He has a chance, like Moya, like Mejia, like Palka.Paddock might work out like Escobar or he might be Hernandez.The Padres are happy that they got a prospect with a pulse. 2 years after the trade they have a player that is still nowhere near the majors. That iswhat you get

Really? Ubiquitous player to be named? Prospect with a pulse?

He was drafted out of high school the previous year. This was written on the day of the trade.

“In order to gain the low cost and relatively high-upside reliever, Miami had to part with a fairly intriguing prospect. Paddack was just an eighth-round pick in the 2015 draft, but he has been nothing short of remarkable at the Class A level in 2016. Over 28 1/3 innings, he has allowed a ridiculous nine hits and carries a brilliant 0.95 ERA with a 48-to-2 K/BB ratio. MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis rate him the 17th-best prospect on an poorly-regarded Marlins farm — the same offseason ranking he received from Baseball America — but it seems fair to say that his star is on the rise.”

#89 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:36 PM

I would still give it a month before trading people, but I would still promote and cut the guys I mentioned before:

Bring up Gordon, Wade, Rooker, and Navaretto.

Cut Wilson, Grossman, Petit, and Adrianza.

I see they just brought up Zach Littel. Good. I hope they also bring up Gonsalves.

A few in-house moves could make a big difference before mid season. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#90 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,729 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:17 AM

Really? Ubiquitous player to be named? Prospect with a pulse?

He was drafted out of high school the previous year. This was written on the day of the trade.

“In order to gain the low cost and relatively high-upside reliever, Miami had to part with a fairly intriguing prospect. Paddack was just an eighth-round pick in the 2015 draft, but he has been nothing short of remarkable at the Class A level in 2016. Over 28 1/3 innings, he has allowed a ridiculous nine hits and carries a brilliant 0.95 ERA with a 48-to-2 K/BB ratio. MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis rate him the 17th-best prospect on an poorly-regarded Marlins farm — the same offseason ranking he received from Baseball America — but it seems fair to say that his star is on the rise.”

the 17th best prospect in a poor farm system is something to rave about? Really. He has some upside.How many pitchers have had upside in the low minors thatwent unfulfilled?Adrian Salcedo ring a bell?Make a trade to get rid of the rental typeplayers when the season is lost. Do not expect "a haul". 

#91 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:04 AM

Escobar is a pending free agent.
Trading him has no impact on bringing him back, or not, next year.

Sure it does. How often does a team trade a player away and then re-sign him? I can think of once in 30 years: Rick Aguilera. If you trade him, there's a 98% chance he's not on your team next year. 

Edited by howeda7, 03 June 2018 - 04:04 AM.

• Kelly Vance and Sconnie like this

#92 spycake

spycake

• 16,951 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

Sure it does. How often does a team trade a player away and then re-sign him? I can think of once in 30 years: Rick Aguilera. If you trade him, there's a 98% chance he's not on your team next year.

Aroldis Chapman is a high-profile recent one.

I don't think the odds change too much with a trade -- Escobar is probably going to sign where he gets the most money / best chance to start, whether we trade him or not. Of course, trading him could be an indicator we don't want/need him to start anymore, but with Dozier and Mauer as other potential departures, I could see trading Escobar and then bringing him back in FA for 2019 (either Escobar to 2B, and/or Sano to 1B/DH and Esco to 3B again).
  • Sconnie likes this

#93 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,488 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:22 AM

the 17th best prospect in a poor farm system is something to rave about? Really. He has some upside.How many pitchers have had upside in the low minors thatwent unfulfilled?Adrian Salcedo ring a bell?Make a trade to get rid of the rental typeplayers when the season is lost. Do not expect "a haul".

You are really working hard to be right on this one. I don’t expect a haul but you were simply incorrect about the return for Rodney. Paddack wasn’t cash or a player to be named later.

I will leave you another trade day article where he slots in the Padres top 10.

https://www.minorlea...fernando-rodney

#94 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 646 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

Here are my thoughts on Paul Molitor. First, I have been a strong supporter of Molitor ever since I watched him at the University of Minnesota. Scouts were pretty unanimous that he would never make the big leagues because his arm was too weak and he lacked power. A HOF career followed. Many people say he has a great baseball mind and that is why the Twins hired him as manager with no minor league managing experience. It reminds me of all the people I've seen in my business career who were promoted to management because they were good at their job but with no thought to their ability to lead people. Most often, a disaster followed. As big of a fan as I am, I'm afraid this might be the case with Molitor: a great player, but not a great leader. I'm not sure that a new manager needs to be Latino (as I've seen suggested), but I do think it should be someone who can relate to players in their twenties because that's what the Twins are going to be for the foreseeable future.
  • beckmt and Sconnie like this

#95 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,500 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

My comment about the manager was because Twins need the Latino core to stay and be competitive in the 2020 - 2025 era.If they cannot be extended (or do not want to be) that would speak volumes on their long term plans.Escobar, Polanco, Rosario, Sano, Berrios, Romero.These are players we cannot afford to lose or you may be talking rebuild sooner than you like.  

#96 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,500 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

As far as selling, I feel we will end up there without a big reveral of form (we still have 4 - 6 weeks to figure it out).Problem with selling this year is from the standings their are going to be fewer buyers and they can choose to be picky.That is a bigger issue here.

#97 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,729 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:32 PM

You are really working hard to be right on this one. I don’t expect a haul but you were simply incorrect about the return for Rodney. Paddack wasn’t cash or a player to be named later.
I will leave you another trade day article where he slots in the Padres top 10.https://www.minorlea...fernando-rodney

When the dude makes for majors you can say that he brought back something in her crate Chapman brought back something to trade Rodney has not you can trade Rodney for a prospect but it is still in prospect and at this point it is still a suspect no matter how you look at it you can be all excited about a number 10 rated prospect a number 17 right prospect another

#98 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:05 PM

Aroldis Chapman is a high-profile recent one.

I don't think the odds change too much with a trade -- Escobar is probably going to sign where he gets the most money / best chance to start, whether we trade him or not. Of course, trading him could be an indicator we don't want/need him to start anymore, but with Dozier and Mauer as other potential departures, I could see trading Escobar and then bringing him back in FA for 2019 (either Escobar to 2B, and/or Sano to 1B/DH and Esco to 3B again).

I'd rather offer Escobar an extension and trade Dozier if we're not in it at the deadline. I think 3 years at $12-15 per year would get it done and that is reasonable to me. Dozier will cost more and is lessvaluable IMO. 

• jun likes this

#99 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,500 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:15 PM

I'd rather offer Escobar an extension and trade Dozier if we're not in it at the deadline. I think 3 years at $12-15 per year would get it done and that is reasonable to me. Dozier will cost more and is lessvaluable IMO. 

I am guessing more in the $8 - $10 million a year for Escobar, still a nice payday.I would not balk at a slightly higher total, but 3/$36 would have to think long and hard on it.

• Sconnie likes this

#100 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,500 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:17 PM

Before we get too giddy, I do not think that cleveland will fail to solve its bullpen issues, and it is only there that they can be vulnrable. Expect a move to be made in that direction in the next couple of weeks, failing to do that will force them into a race that would last close to September, instead of a cakewalk.