Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Going forward, what moves do you think will happen?

• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:17 AM

Red Sox have had to rely on Nunez a bunch at second base this year. And the Brewers have gotten 0.2 fWAR from their second basemen this year.

Do the Red Sox have much in the prospect pipeline worth acquiring?

There could potentially be a lot of good-performing 2B available in the trade market too. Gennett and Lowrie seem likely to be dealt, plus Asdrubal Cabrera, Cesar Hernandez, and others if their teams fade.

#22 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:22 AM

Escobar is a pending free agent. He might be parting ways with the Twins this offseason regardless.

Also, it is true that the Twins last year had a stretch where they were this bad (basically mid June through early August), and they were able to get hot around it. But the bigger issue this year is that they are dealing with so many injuries. Buxton, Mauer, and Santana were arguably three of the four most valuable players on the team last year, and it's not like they are just struggling right now. Instead, they are all injured with no firm timetable for returns. Castro is in the same situation. And they are running out of time. I'm not sure what's the cutoff record at the trade deadline, but I have to think they need to be at least .500. There are 56 games left. So they need to go something like 31-23 over the next two months. It's possible, as they had streaks like that last year. But going on a run like that seems unlikely with 4/9ths of the expected opening day lineup on the DL for a good chunk of that stretch. 

I think you hit the nail on the head. This team is more like 2011 than 2015 in that injuries are really hurting them. I think this team has talent - a lot, actually, But I don't think Molitor is the manager for this team but, more importantly, the second wild card is probably out of reach already so we won't get a repeat of last year.

So let the talent play, retool (as someone said) by bringing up guys like Gordon and Gonsalves to see how they fit into 2019. 

• Mike Sixel and wsnydes like this

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,620 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

Going forward, what moves do you think will happen?

The operating word being 'will' and not 'should', I think that this team will not trade anyone, esp. the players acquired as free agents this off-season, because it might make the Twins an unlikely destination of future free agents.They will not trade Dozier because his manager and a large population of Twins' fans think that he is the cat's meow.  

What they will do is waiver wire watching and round robin to the minors with 2-3 bench and 2-3 bullpen spots.

What I think it should happen, is a different story, and it would start by getting rid of anyone hired by the Ryan regime with a job in the FO or in a player development and field personnel position...

• beckmt and ewen21 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

This FO (and by implication, Jim Pohlad.) has continually surprised me; some good, some not so good.  I'm not making any predictions about what WILL happen with these guys in charge.

#25 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:40 AM

I would do all of this except trade Escobar. I want him on the team next season and several more after that. It would have to be one heck of a return for me part ways with him, and probably more of a return than what someone would be willing to offer.

To answer the question, yeah, if they keep floundering, I think you're right. I'd probably add that Buxton/Sano would be option candidates. I could see giving Wade a shot as an every day player for a few months. This is more a retool than a rebuild in my opinion. One big item I'd target is a near ML ready catcher. That's one of the bigger gaps on the team, especially with 2019 being Castro's last in MN.

The flip side, there's enough talent they could easily get hot, and this could be a repeat of last season.

I could be wrong, but I believe the low water mark last year was 4 games under .500. The Twins currently are 8 in the hole. They would have to get VERY hot while the entire Cleveland roster all of a sudden forgot how to play. Yes, the Indian bullpen is vulnerable, especially with Miller out. But, he’ll be back and I think they will shore it up very soon.

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,028 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

I've pretty much reached the same conclusion the OP has reached. 

#27 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

Could definitely see Dozier to the Brewers. Any thoughts on who they would trade to get him?

Gibson should go now. I don't see Lynn going until the trade deadline. We should get anything we can for any of our relievers and bring up our AAA guys. 

I like the idea that Gibson should be dangled early and often.  People over value pitching, and Kyle's performance over the last 4 months, has been very encouraging, but I am not a full believer yet.

If we can get #3 starter assets, which I think we can because he has arbitration next year, then I would do it.  I can't help with this feeling that he will turn back into a pumpkin.

People who want us to trade Lance Lynn, are reaching.  Do we really think that could possibly happen currently?  Maybe a Hughes type trade, but nobody is giving us any value for Lynn, currently.

Finally, I would trade some prospects, or other things for a catcher with a real future...I also would hold off on making any moves for the next month or so, to see where we end up.  If we are out of it, then I could see a scenario following most of the op ed's piece suggests.

I am still not willing to give up on Buck or Sano just yet.

• Cory Engelhardt likes this

#28 Cory Engelhardt

Cory Engelhardt

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN
  • Twitter: enge0280

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

If they keep floundering and are looking at selling, I hope they are at the very least open for business on each and every player that is a free agent at season's end. I also hope they are open to listening to any and all players that are set to be free agents after 2019. After that, figure out which young kids will be building blocks, and start making a push to REALLY be all in 2020.

Also, I don't know about Molitor. There is a reason they brought him back, and I'd hate to have given him a 3 year deal six months ago and then turn around and fire him so quickly. That feels much too rash in my book. If he chooses to leave that is a different matter.

#29 tbhysgb

tbhysgb

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

I think a pitcher will most likely be dealt, possibly Gibson because he's approaching long term deal territory with one year of Arbitration left. They have Pineda next year, Gonsalves needs a shot soon.  

As for other guys, I don't see any moves with position players unless someone really reaches for Dozier.

#30 Ryan Atkins

Ryan Atkins

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

I think OP makes a lot of sense and I can see some of that coming to fruition.

I would certainly be OK with trading Lynn, Rodney, Duke, Reed, and even Odo.

My opinion on Gibson has changed. I think we should keep him, maybe even extend him. The Twins have a lot of time invested in Gibson. We've had to wade through years of frustration and mediocrity and it seems like he has finally figured out how to pitch at this level. Why should some other team reap the benefits of what could be Gibson's best years when it was the Twins that had to endure all the growing pains.

Rotation: Berrios, Gibson, Romero, Gonsalves, May/Santana(?)

Also: The Twins have to be greatly disappointed with what they are getting from Logan Morrison, practically an automatic out. 4 solo HR, 2 2-R HR. Hindsight is 20/20, but does anyone believe we would have been worse off with Vargas in place of Morrison? It is getting close to the point in the season where, if he turns it around, who cares, it won't benefit the team unless we can entice someone into a deadline trade for a LH power bat.

• jun likes this

#31 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

I agree with people who say change little. I still say this team is close. Here's what I would do:

1. Make some trades. I'd trade people like Zach Duke, Addison Reed, Lance Lynn, Fernando Rodney and perhaps Brian Dozier at the deadline. 

2. I'd give Joe Mauer a fabulous retirement gift of a promise of a statue outside of Target Field in the near future. I love Joe and think he's had some raw treatment by a lot of fans. But concussions suck. And this was bad.

3. Start playing Miguel Sano at first because that's where he's going next year. Play Eduardo Escobar at third until Nick Gordon is moved there to make room for Royce Lewis.

4. Get more kids playing time. Trevor May, Stephen Gonsalves, John Curtiss, Luke Bard. Maybe even Brent Rooker.

5. Move Jorge Polanco to 2nd and call up Nick Gordon. 

6. Make a very big splash in the offseason. Show fans you mean business. 

• Cory Engelhardt, beckmt, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#32 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

Gibson is our best starter, by ERA and FIP.

Pressly is our best RP by FIP. His ERA is second only to Magill (!).

Both are not free agents until 2020.

Rosario leads the team in OPS. He's not a free agent until 2022.

When are you building for? I thought the FO was looking at 2019 being our year. 

I don't see trading away some of our best players as a recipe for anything but mediocrity for the next few years.

Amazed that people are still down on Rosario. Or at least would be happy to trade him.

What's the kid gotta do?

• Thrylos, brvama, Hosken Bombo Disco and 4 others like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#33 B Good

B Good

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

With Mauer experiencing concussion symptoms, his career could legitimately be over.Doesn't that make Sano our new first baseman?In that scenario, Escobar is our new third baseman, so I hope he doesn't get traded.  

Dozier, Lynn, Duke, and Rodney seem likely to be traded if the level of play doesn't improve drastically. 

• jun likes this

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,748 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:50 PM

I too move Gordon to third in AAA right now.

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#35 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

I’m not sure Gordon’s bat will play at third. Defensively he should be fine. Most shortstops handle third quite well (Ripken, A-Rod, Leius, et al). I’m not really sure who would be the better defender at SS between Gordon and Polanco. My gut says it’s probably a push.

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,748 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

I’m not sure Gordon’s bat will play at third. Defensively he should be fine. Most shortstops handle third quite well (Ripken, A-Rod, Leius, et al). I’m not really sure who would be the better defender at SS between Gordon and Polanco. My gut says it’s probably a push.

He's better than playing Adrianza at SS right now......and Escobar isn't a long term answer, probably. 

I'd have him at SS, but if the team wants Polanco at SS going forward, where does Gordon play this year?

And, imo, he should play here this year before the REALLY bad players come up in September for KC, DET, CHI......because he'll be on this roster next year when Dozier and / or Escobar are gone.

• D.C Twins likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#37 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:08 PM

Ripken, A-Rod, Leius

That's the holy trinity of shortstops, right there. :)

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Oldgoat_MN and 6 others like this

#38 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

I would start by firing Molly and hiring a Latin manager with some fire. I would then trade Rodney, Reed, Duke, Pressly, hopefully Cleveland will give us something decent for 2 of these. Trade Lynn and Gibson to either Boston or NY, they both need starters. Trade Dozier if you can get a decent offer. Otherwise will probably have to give a QO at end of year.
Try and get the young core to sign longer extensions, consider trading those who do not sign in the off-season. All offers must be reasonable, not giveaways or salary relief.

Consider this post the first planted seed of a rumor that Ozzie is looking to get back into managing a team, and the Twins have been talking to him.

• lecroy24fan, gunnarthor and D.C Twins like this

#39 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

Starting a team rebuild in June when you are realistically only around 3 weeks behind seems like an overreaction to me, especially in a division where no team is going to go on a tear (except maybe the Twins.)

If the Twins are at this point (or worse) at the trade deadline, yeah, sell off whoever will be leaving anyway. That's all there is to do.

We know Molitor won't be fired. :)

#40 The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

Dozier will be in boston