Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Going forward, what moves do you think will happen?

• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,244 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

Twins are on pace for a 68-94 season and a top 7 pick. They're 6.5 games out of first and 10 GB of the wild card. And it's only June 1st.

Mauer, Lynn, Dozier, Escobar, Duke and Bobby Wilson are all potential free agents at the end of the year and Santana and Morrison have an option. So, since this is essentially another lost season, the FO should make a few moves in the next six weeks. Mauer and Santana aren't going to be traded. Morrison probably sticks around and Wilson has no trade value. My guess is that we do a few things.

1) Trade Dozier and bring up Nick Gordon. When Polanco comes back, the Twins will get half a season to see how those two fit into 2019 plans. Dozier has been slow to perform this year but he often starts slow. He's still on pace for a roughly 3 WAR season and hopefully he gets hot and drives up his trade value. Twins could keep him and put a QO on him but that seems risky and not really helpful to 2019. Red Sox have had to rely on Nunez a bunch at second base this year. And the Brewers have gotten 0.2 fWAR from their second basemen this year.

2) Trade Duke and Escobar for whatever we can get. Duke's LH and breathing so someone will want him. Maybe Escobar can get a Nunez-like return.

3) Trade Lynn and let Gonsalves, May or Littell get some ML innings. I have no idea what Lynn's trade value would be but moving him would save the Pohlad's some money, so it'll probably happen.

4) Fire Molitor. This is the second time in three years that a 80+ win team came in with expectations and looked absolutely lost from the outset. If that's not on the manager, then nothing is.

5) Get healthy and let the younger guys play. Don't let the manager pull Buxton in the 8th for Robbie Grossman to pinch hit anymore. Let Romero, Gonsalves, Berrios and Littell rack up innings. 

Other than the guys above, I think the Twins could think about trading Pressly and/or Gibson as well.

• Blake, Cory Engelhardt, markos and 8 others like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,755 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

I don't think they'll do anything for another month and hope something clicks.

If they're still below .500 without much hope, then Dozier will be the first to go. Ideally they can pull off what the Yankees did with Chapman...

Frankly anyone with an expiring contract will be in trade rumors.

The Molitor thing I can't see happening... I doubt the Pohlads want to pay 2 managers again. It's too bad this season didn't happen in 2017 so we could start fresh with a new manager.
  • Blake, SF Twins Fan, Shaitan and 2 others like this

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,755 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:14 AM

Slight tangent: I've never been more disappointed in the Buxton/Sano era than I am right now...

I would actively look for trade partners over the off-season.
  • Blake, Oldgoat_MN and laloesch like this

#4 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

Molitor should never got the extension. There is little fire in this team, so these two things I TOTALLY echo:

4) Fire Molitor. This is the second time in three years that a 80+ win team came in with expectations and looked absolutely lost from the outset. If that's not on the manager, then nothing is.

5) Get healthy and let the younger guys play. Don't let the manager pull Buxton in the 8th for Robbie Grossman to pinch hit anymore. Let Romero, Gonsalves, Berrios and Littell rack up innings.

• Blake, notoriousgod71, jun and 4 others like this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,570 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:33 AM

Twins are on pace for a 68-94 season and a top 7 pick. They're 6.5 games out of first and 10 GB of the wild card. And it's only June 1st.

Mauer, Lynn, Dozier, Escobar, Duke and Bobby Wilson are all potential free agents at the end of the year and Santana and Morrison have an option. So, since this is essentially another lost season, the FO should make a few moves in the next six weeks. Mauer and Santana aren't going to be traded. Morrison probably sticks around and Wilson has no trade value. My guess is that we do a few things.

1) Trade Dozier and bring up Nick Gordon. When Polanco comes back, the Twins will get half a season to see how those two fit into 2019 plans. Dozier has been slow to perform this year but he often starts slow. He's still on pace for a roughly 3 WAR season and hopefully he gets hot and drives up his trade value. Twins could keep him and put a QO on him but that seems risky and not really helpful to 2019. Red Sox have had to rely on Nunez a bunch at second base this year. And the Brewers have gotten 0.2 fWAR from their second basemen this year.

2) Trade Duke and Escobar for whatever we can get. Duke's LH and breathing so someone will want him. Maybe Escobar can get a Nunez-like return.

3) Trade Lynn and let Gonsalves, May or Littell get some ML innings. I have no idea what Lynn's trade value would be but moving him would save the Pohlad's some money, so it'll probably happen.

Other than the guys above, I think the Twins could think about trading Pressly and/or Gibson as well.

I would do all of this except trade Escobar. I want him on the team next season and several more after that. It would have to be one heck of a return for me part ways with him, and probably more of a return than what someone would be willing to offer.

To answer the question, yeah, if they keep floundering, I think you're right. I'd probably add that Buxton/Sano would be option candidates. I could see giving Wade a shot as an every day player for a few months. This is more a retool than a rebuild in my opinion. One big item I'd target is a near ML ready catcher. That's one of the bigger gaps on the team, especially with 2019 being Castro's last in MN.

The flip side, there's enough talent they could easily get hot, and this could be a repeat of last season.
  • Carole Keller, Blake, nicksaviking and 8 others like this

#6 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

They should trade everyone they can except Buxton, Sano, Kepler, Rosario, Berrios, Romero, and Gibson just like they should've done last year at the deadline.

Look how well hanging into Santana and Dozier is working out.
  • Thrylos, Blake, SF Twins Fan and 3 others like this

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,464 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:51 AM

If Gibson has high interest - deal him too.

Dozier has been a time bomb ticking for awhile. Hitters who rely on feast and famine are generally a bad gamble, so I hope he has one more feast in him.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 01 June 2018 - 09:52 AM.

• birdwatcher, Cory Engelhardt, rghrbek and 2 others like this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,324 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Hard to say.... But I'd guess the team flounders around five hundred this month.... And those that want them to sell are disappointed, and those that want them to do something to win are disappointed. I have bad feelings, and I don't like having bad feelings....
  • Han Joelo, brvama, Sconnie and 6 others like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,324 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:58 AM

I would deal almost anyone, other than Sano, Buxton, Kepler, Romero, and Berrios. Even Rosario and Polanco....I don't trust Polanco to stay clean at this point. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone I'd keep.

I want Gordon and Wade and cave up here.....
  • Sconnie, David HK, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#10 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:02 AM

I would do all of this except trade Escobar. I want him on the team next season and several more after that. It would have to be one heck of a return for me part ways with him, and probably more of a return than what someone would be willing to offer.

To answer the question, yeah, if they keep floundering, I think you're right. I'd probably add that Buxton/Sano would be option candidates. I could see giving Wade a shot as an every day player for a few months. This is more a retool than a rebuild in my opinion. One big item I'd target is a near ML ready catcher. That's one of the bigger gaps on the team, especially with 2019 being Castro's last in MN.

The flip side, there's enough talent they could easily get hot, and this could be a repeat of last season.

If theyre trading Buxton and Sano, it's a rebuild.
  • SF Twins Fan and Tomj14 like this

#11 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

As much as things need to change, I'm worried that there won't be any significant changes to the staff or the roster aside from the FA's - which is kind of significant on it's own I guess.There's still time to right the ship, but they keep finding new ways to lose.I don't see anything happening until July.When/if things do happen, I just hope that they're in a position where the direction is clear.None of this damned if you do/damned if you don't scenarios like last season.Pick a course and then stick to it, also unlike last season.

Like Darius said in the comment above, if you're trading Buxton and Sano, that's a rebuild.Those were supposed to be your cornerstones.I'm not sure that I'd go that far yet and I'm still willing to show a little patience with them, but that's wearing pretty thin.I'd maybe entertain trading one of them depending on the offers, but I'm not sure that a rebuild is necessary yet.  

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#12 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

Could definitely see Dozier to the Brewers. Any thoughts on who they would trade to get him?

Gibson should go now. I don't see Lynn going until the trade deadline. We should get anything we can for any of our relievers and bring up our AAA guys. 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#13 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

I'll give it another month; a run and some crazy trade acquisition could flip the script rapidly...but I am afraid like Mike that it will be .475 mediocrity for another month.

If nothing changes in a month, I'm on board with everything the OP proposed, except maybe dealing Escobar.  I think that going forward without Dozier (and possibly Mauer) that he would capably fill that older guy role.  (Notice I didn't use the words "leadership" or "character," but you know what I mean.)

I don't think trading Sano signals a rebuild so much as it acknowledges maybe nothing is quite built in the first place, and I'd do that if he rebuilds some value.  Rather than waiting (and worrying about what he'd do if he ever got a pay dirt extension,) I'd move on from him and target Machado (unlikely) or Donaldson (possible) and hope Lewis and Kiriloff are on a really fast track.

• brvama likes this

#14 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

Escobar is a pending free agent. He might be parting ways with the Twins this offseason regardless.

Also, it is true that the Twins last year had a stretch where they were this bad (basically mid June through early August), and they were able to get hot around it. But the bigger issue this year is that they are dealing with so many injuries. Buxton, Mauer, and Santana were arguably three of the four most valuable players on the team last year, and it's not like they are just struggling right now. Instead, they are all injured with no firm timetable for returns. Castro is in the same situation. And they are running out of time. I'm not sure what's the cutoff record at the trade deadline, but I have to think they need to be at least .500. There are 56 games left. So they need to go something like 31-23 over the next two months. It's possible, as they had streaks like that last year. But going on a run like that seems unlikely with 4/9ths of the expected opening day lineup on the DL for a good chunk of that stretch. 

• gunnarthor, brvama, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#15 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:32 AM

Relying on a 20-10 month to make an otherwise mediocre to average at best season isn't a recipe for long term success.  

Hence, we have what we have this season.Much of the same as what we saw most of last season.Perhaps gone about differently, but the overall outcome is the same.

• D.C Twins likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#16 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

I would start by firing Molly and hiring a Latin manager with some fire. I would then trade Rodney, Reed, Duke, Pressly, hopefully Cleveland will give us something decent for 2 of these. Trade Lynn and Gibson to either Boston or NY, they both need starters. Trade Dozier if you can get a decent offer. Otherwise will probably have to give a QO at end of year.
Try and get the young core to sign longer extensions, consider trading those who do not sign in the off-season. All offers must be reasonable, not giveaways or salary relief.
  • Blake, Mike Sixel, David HK and 2 others like this

#17 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

With the draft coming up and the Twins playing like they are, I’d like to see our top prospects moved up through system quicker. We need Gordon, Lewis, Rooker, Kirilloff, Gonsalves, and our power arms in the pen to start playing with our core players as soon as possible.

And speaking of core players, despite playing well as of late maybe it’s time to move on and sell high on Miguel Sano, because I feel his health, lack of versatility/mobility, and strikeouts are eventually going to become too much of a chore to work around. As of late, championship teams have had lots of flexibility in their lineup; Cubs, Astros, Dodgers. I’d rather have a future Alex Bregman, Manny Machado, Anthony Rendon, or Jose Ramirez than Sano’s “potential”/“pure talent”/or “high ceiling.”

And with Polanco and Cano being suspended for PEDs, I won’t be surprised when Sano is found to be a PED user also. And I also won’t be suprised if there’s another assault case in his future either.

The Twins need to focus on a 2019 season that won’t include Mauer, Sano, or Molitor

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,324 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

We'd all like to have Machado ... But I really think people are waaaaaay too down on Sano
  • gunnarthor, brvama, PseudoSABR and 9 others like this

#19 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,881 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

1) Trade Dozier

2) Trade Escobar for whatever we can get. Maybe Escobar can get a Nunez-like return.

Mauer gone too.... I’d plan on Sano being your first baseman and Escobar being your third baseman or backup plan to Gordon/Polanco in the SS/2b tandem.

I’m kinda disappointed Escobar isn’t already extended...
  • jun, DocBauer, terrydactyls1947 and 1 other like this

#20 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:00 AM

I think I'd change as little as possible and hope for better health for 2019.This is the Buxton / Sano era so let's let it ride. 

This is time to sort out the role players.

Grossman/Adrianza/Wilson/Lamarre:It's already apparent that they are all AAA depth at best.

Garver/Escobar/Morrison/Mauer:Evaluate them at the end of the year

Lynn/Reed/Duke/Rodney:Trade 

Everyone else:Part of 2019.

Dozier:wildcard.He'd be nice to have but I don't think he wants to be here.

• caninatl04 likes this