Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: A Solution for the Twins Outfield

ryan lamarre byron buxton zack granite lamonte wade
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:15 PM

A RH hitting 4th OFer.

We've been pretty clear on that.

Again who?

I'd like them to find a guy who throws 110 and doesn't need any rest but if I don't give you an example, I might as well be wishing for a my little pony.

The 4th OF market was predictable bare this offseason. Not a lot of vets looking for any job and those that were hit LH. Hard to blame the Twins for not finding something that didn't really exist. Unless you have an idea?

#42 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,151 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Again who?

I'd like them to find a guy who throws 110 and doesn't need any rest but if I don't give you an example, I might as well be wishing for a my little pony.

The 4th OF market was predictable bare this offseason. Not a lot of vets looking for any job and those that were hit LH. Hard to blame the Twins for not finding something that didn't really exist. Unless you have an idea?

Lefty mashing corner OFers are one of the more easily found commodities in MLB. IT didn't have to be a free agent, although Carlos Gomez was just about perfect.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#43 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Mid market teams can't compete for "the long term, forever"....they just can't. But yes, this is a tangent. there was actually recently an article on this on one of the sites....basically, to extend your window (and to have ultimate success) you need to spend more and more money.....

They can. The Rays have a few down years from time to time but they don't ever rebuild or tear it down.

The Cardinals aren't totally mid-market but they aren't the Yankees and they have been consistently competitive.

I think that's a main issue: consistently competitive vs. all-in. The Cardinals showed that consistently competitive can yield some titles. The Rays showed that it can not. The Royals show that all-in can be great. The Padres, not so much.

#44 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

Grossman is not a good 4th OF'er and his 2017 #'s .246/.721 are close to his career average. But I wouldn't call that a league average hitter. It's pretty obvious that 2016 was the aberration for Grossman, not 2018. 

If you knock out the first three weeks of the season, Robbie Grossman has a .785 OPS and is an above-average hitter. I'm not saying that's a fair way to look at him but I think we should wait a bit longer to say he's 2017 and not 2016.

Edited by ThejacKmp, 04 June 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#45 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:22 PM

Funny how a day or two can change oine's mind. After a good weekend, LaMarre is now hitting .310/355/.362 (.717), hot three doubles and had a great catch to bail out Duffy when he was doing mop up duty.Granite didn't look very good in short duty last year and isn't hitting in AAA.A jump from AA is tough and Wade isn't the standout who is likely to do it. I say keep LaMarre in CF most days and see if this is real. 

Speaking of Duffy, why is he up and Busenitz in AAA? Unbelievable. Duffy is a DFA candidate and Busenitz looks like a solid MLB reliever and performed last year. Boggles the mind.  

Al in all, LaMarre probably isn't a great bet but he looks like a better bet than either Granite, Cave or Wade right now and he hits right handed. I could see dropping Grossman for Cave (likely won't happen), but keep the OF as is other than that. 

#46 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:29 PM

Lefty mashing corner OFers are one of the more easily found commodities in MLB. IT didn't have to be a free agent, although Carlos Gomez was just about perfect.

Name one who was available. You keep saying they're there but don't provide a name.

As stated, Carlos Gomez got a deal as a starter. He's not going to come to MN to be a 4th OF unless you give him a lot more money (like $8 million instead of $4 million) or multiple years. And even if you got him, not sure he hits much more than Grossman. This year he has a .624 OPS with a .632 OPS vs. lefties. Last year he hit .645 vs. lefties. Likely a better fielder than Grossman but Granite can do those numbers.

My point is that shopping for 4th OF puts you in bargain bin territory. Good players get starting jobs or are under team control and are expensive and don't make sense for a Twins farm system relatively loaded with outfield talent.

#47 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:57 PM

Name one who was available. You keep saying they're there but don't provide a name.

As stated, Carlos Gomez got a deal as a starter. He's not going to come to MN to be a 4th OF unless you give him a lot more money (like $8 million instead of $4 million) or multiple years. And even if you got him, not sure he hits much more than Grossman. This year he has a .624 OPS with a .632 OPS vs. lefties. Last year he hit .645 vs. lefties. Likely a better fielder than Grossman but Granite can do those numbers.

My point is that shopping for 4th OF puts you in bargain bin territory. Good players get starting jobs or are under team control and are expensive and don't make sense for a Twins farm system relatively loaded with outfield talent.

The Twins have Wade, Cave, Granite all in AAA (or should be).....they couldn't find one RH OF to trade for? I just don't buy that. And no, I don't have a list of the RH OF in AA and AAA to tell you who.....

It's not crucial.....but it also wouldn't be expensive to find a RH OF that they think is a 4th OF (and maybe LaMarre remarkably becomes so, against years of minor league data saying otherwise, which would be great).

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#48 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:11 AM

Where’s Brian Buchanan when you need him?

I know he’s been out of the league for a decade and a half, but he could probably still hit LHP.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan lamarre, byron buxton, zack granite, lamonte wade