Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Berardino: Concussion Symptoms Return for Mauer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#61 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:25 AM

To not lift weights during the season. The offseason is a different matter.

“During the season”, he says. So you’re comfortable in just tacking on a few extra words onto someone else’s direct quote. Sort of disingenuous, don’t you think? The direct quote from Mauer is hyperlinked and available to you in my previous post. The original quote had no qualifiers of the sort.

#62 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:37 AM

“During the season”, he says. So you’re comfortable in just tacking on a few extra words onto someone else’s direct quote. Sort of disingenuous, don’t you think? The direct quote from Mauer is hyperlinked and available to you in my previous post. The original quote had no qualifiers of the sort.

Were you there? Did you understand the context of the comment? Did you hear the question before it, the one that sets the context for this question? Seems pretty disingenuous to assume that one quote from one article paints a picture of an entire interview. Or that Joe Mauer is a rogue Twin who refuses to lift leg weights in spite of the impassioned pleas of the training staff.

The reason I know that Joe Mauer lifts leg weights is that I've watched him do leg presses. I used to coach at CDH and was in the gym when he came in and worked out with a few of his high school buddies during off hours. It wasn't a serious workout (goofing off/competition) but they were doing leg presses and benches and everything.

I studied and taught history. Whenever someone attaches ultimate importance to one quote or one statement, they usually have an axe to grind.

#63 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,190 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:44 AM

Were you there? Did you understand the context of the comment? Did you hear the question before it, the one that sets the context for this question? Seems pretty disingenuous to assume that one quote from one article paints a picture of an entire interview. Or that Joe Mauer is a rogue Twin who refuses to lift leg weights in spite of the impassioned pleas of the training staff.

The reason I know that Joe Mauer lifts leg weights is that I've watched him do leg presses. I used to coach at CDH and was in the gym when he came in and worked out with a few of his high school buddies during off hours. It wasn't a serious workout (goofing off/competition) but they were doing leg presses and benches and everything.

I studied and taught history. Whenever someone attaches ultimate importance to one quote or one statement, they usually have an axe to grind.

You are both now entering territory of discussing each other's posting styles and agendas. Stop.

And if you can't discuss Mauer without claiming he's somehow being dishonest, because you've already concluded that he is and are cherry picking quotes out of context to support your own end, don't post.

If you want a genuine discussion, fine, post. But this innuendo, pet topic posting is a no go on TD.

• diehardtwinsfan, Mike Frasier Law, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#64 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

Not to change the subject back to where we started, but I saw in the Strib that Mauer was out taking grounders and running the bases yesterday.It sounds like he may be close to returning. We could sure use his bat if he can play. Does anyone have nay information about a possible return date? 

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 08 June 2018 - 12:29 PM.

• Carole Keller, Oldgoat_MN and Sconnie like this

#65 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

This is from yesterday and I have heard nothing since:

https://www.twinciti...-for-joe-mauer/

There is no timetable for Mauer’s return, and it appears likely he will make a rehab assignment with a minor league affiliate before returning to the majors.

“I think that’s possible,” manager Paul Molitor said. “Of all the things that he’s tried to introduce himself to, in terms of stimulus and environment, playing a nine-inning game will be different than anything he’s done up to this point. So, I think it would make a lot of sense to have that as an option, to make sure that we don’t go backwards in some form.”

But, Molitor added, that might not be close.

Mauer's only comment in the article"

“Another good day,” he said.

So we get "another good day" from Joe and no timetable for a return and a rehab assignment "might not be close" from Molitor.

One thing about Mauer is he cannot be pinned down.Good for him

• notoriousgod71 and Sconnie like this

#66 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:47 AM

These are your points?
* Bilateral leg weakness was a "weird thing". The press "blew it up".
* Concussions are a "weird thing". They are confusing and hard to diagnose. Doctors misdiagnose things.
* Catching bullpens is "crazy" on the legs. For Joe Mauer, it was sufficient to not lift leg weights over the span of 10 years.

My overall view is that Mauer's quotes are often conflicting. His quotes have conflicted with medical exam results. His quotes have conflicted with the team, where Mauer says he had a concussion and the team says he did not. His quotes have even conflicted with his very own quotes. I find that odd; and, as I said, I wonder why that is not being discussed.

I hate to wade in here, but I’m going to.

I’m not a doctor nor a psychologist, but reading into a player who says he “feels great” or “is in the best shape of his life” isn’t weird, or in need of more discussion than it has been given. Even if these kind of comments are demonstrably false.

Players are inclined to look for the positive and hope they have turned a corner on any number of things. That sort of seems like human nature. That’s why the league has developed strict concussion protocols, frankly, to protect players (and managers) from themselves.

I also don’t think it odd that there is no timetable for his current return, or that he will only commit to “another good day.” That seems very measured to me, and perhaps reflective of someone who has learned the hard way that you don’t just come back from concussions the way you do a broken bone.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Joe hit 300 and played gold glove defense last year, proving he still has game left and perhaps was finally back to his preconcussion levels. It would be a shame if he is derailed again, but we simply don’t know what the situation is going to be for him going forward. Even if he says he “feels great”, unfortunately.
  • adjacent, LA VIkes Fan and Vanimal46 like this

#67 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:25 AM

I hate to wade in here, but I’m going to.

I’m not a doctor nor a psychologist, but reading into a player who says he “feels great” or “is in the best shape of his life” isn’t weird, or in need of more discussion than it has been given. Even if these kind of comments are demonstrably false.

Players are inclined to look for the positive and hope they have turned a corner on any number of things. That sort of seems like human nature. That’s why the league has developed strict concussion protocols, frankly, to protect players (and managers) from themselves.

I also don’t think it odd that there is no timetable for his current return, or that he will only commit to “another good day.” That seems very measured to me, and perhaps reflective of someone who has learned the hard way that you don’t just come back from concussions the way you do a broken bone.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Joe hit 300 and played gold glove defense last year, proving he still has game left and perhaps was finally back to his preconcussion levels. It would be a shame if he is derailed again, but we simply don’t know what the situation is going to be for him going forward. Even if he says he “feels great”, unfortunately.

I agree the timetable for Mauer return is really up to him. 

But the part I have a hard time understanding is the rational that if Mauer bats below .300 it must be concussion symptions and if he above .300 he must be recovered. It's a built in excuse, if a player is medically cleared. says he okay and plays in 158 games - can we stop trying to blame an injury for the lack of production?

• USAFChief, notoriousgod71, Danchat and 2 others like this

#68 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,804 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

But the part I have a hard time understanding is the rational that if Mauer bats below .300 it must be concussion symptions and if he above .300 he must be recovered. It's a built in excuse, if a player is medically cleared. says he okay and plays in 158 games - can we stop trying to blame an injury for the lack of production?

There is the belief among many Twins fans that 2009 is the real Joe Mauer, when in fact that season is the anomaly.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#69 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:36 AM

A lot of people have been adamant about the concussion symptoms affecting his play for nearly three years.Shouldn't these people be equally adamant about him packing it in at this point?To insist he had a traumatic brain injury with a profound impact for years, no timetable for a return now but to still talk about extending him makes elsewhere makes me shake my head.Why the hell does he need to keep going through all that? 

• DrNeau likes this

#70 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

YOu are telling some people "we don't know".You seem to know exactly why his play tailed off though and it is because of concussions according to what you say.You acknowledge that seriousness of concussions and say that he suffered their affects for three years.He has another one now, will be 36 next year, his contract is up and yet...….you want him back on the field?

• DrNeau likes this

#71 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:03 PM

You're right that "the media' is a bit of a broad overstatement. Many media members are calm and rational in talking about Joe the player.

But I think it'd be hard to deny that mouthpieces like Souhan have been getting their soundbites off at Joe's expense for years. There's a glee that comes to slamming him and calling him a wuss while ignoring the bigger picture. It's the same thing you often see when they talk about Sano's weight.

And I think that unfortunately, a few of them can drive a concept of a player just by bringing the concepts that he's a liar or spoiled or lazy or faking it into the conversation. They have a soap box and what they say steers the dialogue.

Interesting point about Mauer not talking to the media. In some ways, being Joe works against him. He's not a guy like David Price who can refuse to talk to people - he's way too nice for that. I think it would actively pain him to ignore someone like that. So he gets stuck in that "Oh shucks, I gotta say something. Wish I didn't have to." zone.

Dirty Laundry
Don Henley

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry
Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em all around
We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry
Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry
You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're stiff
Kick 'em all around
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're stiff
Kick 'em all around
Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry
We can do "The Innuendo"
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that Kraft is king
Give us dirty laundry!
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Songwriters: Don Henley / Danny Kortchmar
Dirty Laundry lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc, Cass County Music / Wisteria Music / Privet Music

• beckmt likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#72 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:17 PM

I mean hitting below .300 was not normal for Joe, but if he hits between .260 and .270 like he did during those "bad seasons," it is not necessarily the worst thing ever; I mean if the Twins had a team batting average between .260 and .270 they'd be the best hitting franchise in the game at this point in time?So it was not the best seasons for Joe, but he was still a decently productive MLB player.So maybe the same media that was trying to destroy Joe during the bad years may have helped to come up with that excuse so as to explain why Joe returned to have a nice season last year.I mean there has to be a reason? right?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#73 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:51 AM

I mean hitting below .300 was not normal for Joe, but if he hits between .260 and .270 like he did during those "bad seasons," it is not necessarily the worst thing ever; I mean if the Twins had a team batting average between .260 and .270 they'd be the best hitting franchise in the game at this point in time?So it was not the best seasons for Joe, but he was still a decently productive MLB player.So maybe the same media that was trying to destroy Joe during the bad years may have helped to come up with that excuse so as to explain why Joe returned to have a nice season last year.I mean there has to be a reason? right?

Hitting 28 HR also is not normal for Mauer, should we assume steroids?

It's not the main stream media that is using his production as a measurement for his concussion symptoms.It's the fans that use it as an excuse and then blame the media.

• ThejacKmp and ewen21 like this

#74 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

Hitting 28 HR also is not normal for Mauer, should we assume steroids?

It's not the main stream media that is using his production as a measurement for his concussion symptoms.It's the fans that use it as an excuse and then blame the media.

Mauer was the one who initiated the discussion when he said he dealt with ongoing symptoms for three years.Dr Neau linked up statements made by the team and by Joe himself as to how he was doing during that period.There is no denying Joe gave out conflicting messages and worst of all is he never once has attempted to clarify.It is his choice to state whatever he wants about his health and over the years he has been rather unclear about his various maladies.  

I've heard many times that "we can't assume XYZ" about Joe and yet aren't people are doing just that when they attribute three years of poor production to post concussion syndrome?Then suddenly he has one good year and it is proclaimed he is back, has several years left in him and we need to extend him?At what point does this need to extend Joe finally go off the boards?Would one month on the shelf with "post concussion symptoms" do it or will it take two?When Joe plays is up to Joe.He is the one reporting these symptoms.The same symptoms he NEVER reported over 158 games in 2015 yet people want to say that season his numbers suffered for the symptoms.  

Once again, I cannot see how someone could advocate for an extension or new contract on one hand and on the other talk about the profound affects concussions have had on his career.Seems to me that completely ignores the guy's personal well being and future beyond baseball.

#75 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,190 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

This topic is now closed. All it’s become is a ‘Is Joe lying or not?’ discussion which is completely out of bounds. And now someone hints at steroid use? Come on, people. I’m not saying everyone has to like or dislike Joe, but we are going well out of bounds here, which is typical for any topic that is directly or indirectly about Mauer, thanks to a one-trick pony troll.
  • Brock Beauchamp, ashburyjohn, KGB and 1 other like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern