Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Berardino: Concussion Symptoms Return for Mauer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,157 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:00 PM

Agreed. If I was the Twins, I'd offer an injury settlement, and let him retire during a slow MLB period. Like, just before the ASB.

Just give him all the money and be done with it.

I don’t care whether the Pohlads get a mid season payroll break. They won’t spend it anyway.
  • Carole Keller, Twins33, jud6312 and 1 other like this

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,508 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

Just give him all the money and be done with it.

I don’t care whether the Pohlads get a mid season payroll break. They won’t spend it anyway.

Agreed. I meant to be more clear on that.... That post was really about pulling the band-aid off....
  • Brock Beauchamp, Carole Keller and TheLeviathan like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,798 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

I could see Mauer preferring to stay with the team a few more months, even if just on the 60-day DL, rather than go home midseason.

Edited by spycake, 02 June 2018 - 02:43 PM.

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#24 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

I could see Mauer preferring to stay with the team a few more months, even if just on the 60-day DL, rather than go home midseason.

Why does the decision need to be based on what Joe prefers?If I am the Twins I cannot endorse him playing anymore.It ignores some very real risks and the possibility of some big time regrets.

He has gotten everything he needs out of baseball.Playing again really benefits no one, not this least of which his wife and children.At some point people need to let go of Joe the ballplayer.

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,751 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:03 PM

Why does the decision need to be based on what Joe prefers?If I am the Twins I cannot endorse him playing anymore.It ignores some very real risks and the possibility of some big time regrets.

He has gotten everything he needs out of baseball.Playing again really benefits no one, not this least of which his wife and children.At some point people need to let go of Joe the ballplayer.

Because Joe is a human being?

• Carole Keller, Oldgoat_MN, Kelly Vance and 2 others like this

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,798 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

Why does the decision need to be based on what Joe prefers? If I am the Twins I cannot endorse him playing anymore.

Well, my post was based on the presumption that he would be inactive. Just that he might rather be around the team for the remainder of the season rather than get a midseason ceremony and go home.

But there are enough unknowns here that it's also still probably Joe's call whether to play again. Are these symptoms the same thing he was experiencing regularly for a few years? Might just be a fact of life for him now, whether he is playing ball, or playing with his kids in the yard, or whatever. I don't think we know enough to say the Twins would be morally negligent to let him take the field ever again.
  • Carole Keller and Sconnie like this

#27 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

Because Joe is a human being?

You don't understand what I am saying. I am saying the decision doesn't have to be his to make.The Twins have veto power over him

Edited by ewen21, 02 June 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#28 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

Well, my post was based on the presumption that he would be inactive. Just that he might rather be around the team for the remainder of the season rather than get a midseason ceremony and go home.

But there are enough unknowns here that it's also still probably Joe's call whether to play again. Are these symptoms the same thing he was experiencing regularly for a few years? Might just be a fact of life for him now, whether he is playing ball, or playing with his kids in the yard, or whatever. I don't think we know enough to say the Twins would be morally negligent to let him take the field ever again.

I never said they were morally negligent to allow him to play further.Your words, not mine.I said I would not endorse him playing anymore.You want to tell me we don't know enough?That isn't consistent with what I read here when people talk about Joe's traumatic brain injury and the effects of which lasted over three years.Now he has symptoms again and he doesn't even understand how it happened.Everyone seems to know enough to say the effects of concussions had a profound impact on his performance the last almost five season, but no one knows enough to be more concerned about his personal well-being than his right to keep on playing?How can the prevailing wisdom here be that the concussions wiped him out on one hand and on the other insist that Joe should keep on playing so long as he feels like it, even after this latest episode? 

Someone is going to need to tell me how Joe getting back on the field is actually a good thing for him and the Twins.Are we expected to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best?There are no brain transplants last time I checked.

#29 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,751 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:37 PM

You don't understand what I am saying. I am saying the decision doesn't have to be his to make.The Twins have veto power over him

No one is saying it has to be his to make, but that he has an opinion too.The Twins would be right to listen to it along with other relevant information.Discarding him should only really happen if he prefers that option.He's been with the organization long enough that they should care what he prefers.Plus it's just the right way to do things.

• Carole Keller, Twins33, brvama and 3 others like this

#30 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:47 PM

Someone is going to need to tell me how Joe getting back on the field is actually a good thing for him and the Twins.Are we expected to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best?There are no brain transplants last time I checked.

Nobody here knows how or if the concussion effected Mauer the last 5 years and nobody here know how he is going to feel in a week or a month.No one's concussion stories are the same and what happen to one person doesn't indicate it's also going to happen to Mauer,

The medical staff and Mauer felt he was concussion free the last 5 years and he played.If they both decide that he is able to play and he wants to play, that is his decision and must be good for him.Who are we to tell him not to play?

• Broker likes this

#31 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:37 PM

Nobody here knows how or if the concussion effected Mauer the last 5 years and nobody here know how he is going to feel in a week or a month.No one's concussion stories are the same and what happen to one person doesn't indicate it's also going to happen to Mauer,

The medical staff and Mauer felt he was concussion free the last 5 years and he played.If they both decide that he is able to play and he wants to play, that is his decision and must be good for him.Who are we to tell him not to play?

Once again, he can play if he wants to play but no team (the Twins included) must feel compelled to take a risk on him.I am not telling him not to play.I am saying his wish to play doesn't have to be honored given the circumstances

#32 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

Sometimes these guys need to be saved from themselves - Chuck Liddell in the UFC is a perfect example.

He didn't want to walk away, but because of his age and the damage he's taken, Dana White wouldn't book him anymore - said he cared too much about him as a person. Chuck, given his desire to fight Tito Ortiz again at age 48 and being gone for almost a decade, isn't ready to give in, but if it happens it'll be under Oscar de la Hoya, and not the UFC.

This might be what the Twins need to do if the symptoms don't go away and Joe's willing to risk it.

I mean, maybe they dissipate and he's back, but is it really worth it? I haven't had a "major" concussion in 10+ years (one minor one since then, bringing the total to 6), and I still get foggy from time to time, get dizzy on occasion, and suffer from migraines. The things I did to get those weren't worth it.

• ewen21 likes this

#33 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:03 PM

No one is saying it has to be his to make, but that he has an opinion too.The Twins would be right to listen to it along with other relevant information.Discarding him should only really happen if he prefers that option.He's been with the organization long enough that they should care what he prefers.  Plus it's just the right way to do things.

I think the Twins braintrust should care most about what the medical professionals' preferences are.

Hopefully, they lay out the risks and percentages to Joe and the organization for the chances of permanent brain injury or becoming another Mike Quarry.

• jud6312 likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#34 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,751 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:25 PM

I think the Twins braintrust should care most about what the medical professionals' preferences are.

Hopefully, they lay out the risks and percentages to Joe and the organization for the chances of permanent brain injury or becoming another Mike Quarry.

Sure, but Joe is still part of that conversation.The Twins are not obligated to play him against medical advice, but the suggestion in this thread that what Joe wants is completely irrelevant is really bizarre.

• Carole Keller, KGB and Broker like this

#35 bcs4

bcs4

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:42 PM

Joe will come back so he can make a proper exit.

Buxton is going to have a tougher decision to make.

#36 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:18 PM

Sure, but Joe is still part of that conversation.The Twins are not obligated to play him against medical advice, but the suggestion in this thread that what Joe wants is completely irrelevant is really bizarre.

I thought I made that clear:

"Hopefully, they lay out the risks and percentages to Joe and the organization..."

• ewen21 likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#37 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

I'm sure professional athletes who have made hundreds of millions of dollars have highly paid medical personnel that will tell Joe what he should do. Any of us speculating about what will or could happen to him are all pretty much uninformed because we are not looking at his medical information, we are going off of what other people have said. His symptoms could be relatively minor? Not bad enough to prevent you or me from going to work, but him trying to track 95mph fastballs could be a different thing. His symptoms could also be the precursor to something worse where he should get the hell out asap. But since we are not the doctors looking at him and dealing with his issues we don't really know. We will find out when he and the medical team makes those decisions. Until then it's all speculations on our part.

Edited by Twodogs, 02 June 2018 - 10:37 PM.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#38 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:27 AM

You are rephrasing and mischaracterizing what I said and I think you are doing it intentionally.Please stop.I am pretty clear in what I said.I said I would not endorse him playing if I were the Twins.Afterall they do employ him so the final say is theirs, not Joe's.  

The other thing is, the concussion symptoms lasted several years according to Joe although that slipped through the cracks and he never informed the Twins.If anything is bizarre there it is. 

#39 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:53 AM

He has gotten everything he needs out of baseball. Playing again really benefits no one, not this least of which his wife and children. At some point people need to let go of Joe the ballplayer.

No ring.

Joe played gold glove defense while batting over .300 last year. Obviously concerning that he got another concussion, but I think it is way too early to assume this is the end of Joe’s career.
  • Kelly Vance likes this

#40 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,798 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

You are rephrasing and mischaracterizing what I said and I think you are doing it intentionally. Please stop. I am pretty clear in what I said. I said I would not endorse him playing if I were the Twins. Afterall they do employ him so the final say is theirs, not Joe's.

I won't wade into this any further, but you've stated this several times without any qualifiers for Mauer's opinion on the matter. Thus, I think the characterizations of your position by other posters, that Mauer's opunion is irrelevant to your position, have been accurate. If not, you are free to clarify differently.
  • Carole Keller and TheLeviathan like this