Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Berardino: Concussion Symptoms Return for Mauer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#1 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

“Definitely having the symptoms,” [Mauer] said. “I think that’s kind of how they do (differentiate): If you have the symptoms, then you probably had one.”

https://www.twinciti...-not-there-yet/

Edited by East Coast Twin, 31 May 2018 - 04:38 PM.

• nclahammer likes this

#2 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

major-league bummer.

• Jerr likes this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

I wish for his sake, and his kids, he'd retire. I'm no doctor..... But still....
  • Jerr, Twins33, brvama and 2 others like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#4 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

Confirms suspicions when he went on this most recent DL stint.

I don't know why it had to be kept secret.

• Sconnie and curt1965 like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#5 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

I wish for his sake, and his kids, he'd retire. I'm no doctor..... But still....

Yeah, I said much the same thing.

Funny thing is, I thought Mauer should have retired before the 2017 season because he just wasn't performing. Then he had that Mauer of old year and I gladly ate crow on that one.

This year, his performance has really gone downhill after his great start, but after I heard about the return of his symptoms, I thought he should retire because I didn't want Mauer to risk further injury.

And, I've cringed several times when I've watched Mauer make those diving plays. I say that, because I remember Koskie saying he was doing fine, until he dove for a ball and then things went all wonky for him again.

I might add, I thought something was wrong, because his batting average dropped off a cliff and I didn't necessarily buy that it was due to a neck strain.

• Jerr, Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

#6 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

I truly hope Mauer has a relatively speedy and problem free recovery, but I'm not optimistic about his performance the rest of the year (or next season if he doesn't retire). As we've seen with both Mauer and Morneau, concussion issues can significantly degrade a player's capability. It took Mauer over 2 years to get back a semblance of his pre-concussion abilities after 2013. I hope we'll get to see more games with a capable and productive Mauer in a Twins uniform, but I won't be surprised if this signals that the end of the road is fast approaching for Joe.

Edited by twins_89, 31 May 2018 - 05:02 PM.

• brvama likes this

#7 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,404 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

This is unfortunate for multiple reasons, most importantly for Joe's overall health.

Buxton DL, Santana setback and now this in a 24 hour span. Seems as though the baseball Gods are getting even for lasts seasons improbable run.

I hope for a speedy recovery for Joe.
  • Blake, Jerr, brvama and 3 others like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#8 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

:banghead:

• Danchat likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#9 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,815 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

I feel really bad for Joe. By accounts he’s an extremely competitive guy. This must be really difficult to go through again and not be able to help his team right the ship.

I hope Joe makes decisions for his health primarily and an over abundance of caution is taken in regards to his brain injury.

If health allows, I look forward to seeing him back in the lineup, but if it doesn’t, I hope he takes care of his health first. It’s just a game, and he has plenty of money.
  • Carole Keller, Blake, Jerr and 2 others like this

#10 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

Not surprised. As I posted when this first happened, the exact same thing happened to Morneau in CO. Both dove for a ball. Both strained their neck. Both had concussion like symptoms. Morneau was out 3-4 months. If Mauer is back before August/September, I'd be surprised.

I was for going year to year with Mauer until this happened. At this point he needs to retire for himself and his family.
  • beckmt likes this

#11 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

Stop it! Yer'll get one too.

Concur, Joe should retire and enjoy the rest of his life with his own twins.

• Jerr, Mike Sixel, gil4 and 3 others like this

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,930 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, I said much the same thing.

Funny thing is, I thought Mauer should have retired before the 2017 season because he just wasn't performing. Then he had that Mauer of old year and I gladly ate crow on that one.

This year, his performance has really gone downhill after his great start, but after I heard about the return of his symptoms, I thought he should retire because I didn't want Mauer to risk further injury.

And, I've cringed several times when I've watched Mauer make those diving plays. I say that, because I remember Koskie saying he was doing fine, until he dove for a ball and then things went all wonky for him again.

I might add, I thought something was wrong, because his batting average dropped off a cliff and I didn't necessarily buy that it was due to a neck strain.

He had only 15 ABs after the LAA series, with 4 hits. His BA was below .300 by April 23rd, and he sits at .283 today.

The neck strain/concussion symptoms are unrelated to his stats.

• Blake, Danchat, KGB and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#13 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

So happy to see his resurgence last season! And I've been somewhat vocal about a 2 year deal after this one for fair value to provide defense, hitting, OB, etc. And loves his move to leadoff this season.

But after this latest injury, as much as I'd like to see him back healthy and productive, I just have to say I wish he would maybe hang it up. It stinks! But for the rest of his life, I just think maybe it's time.
  • Blake, Mike Sixel and brvama like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

That's a concussion in making...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:45 PM

He had only 15 ABs after the LAA series, with 4 hits. His BA was below .300 by April 23rd, and he sits at .283 today.

The neck strain/concussion symptoms are unrelated to his stats.

Ah, then, my memory is faulty. I thought Mauer's average had dropped into the .250 range. 

• USAFChief likes this

#16 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:29 PM

This is a really crappy year.

If he has to retire, he's done enough to get into the HOF and get his jersey retired by the Twins. He's made a bunch of money and two great video game commercials.

• less cowbell more neau likes this

#17 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

Everyone responds differently to concussions, Joe and his doctor will make a decision that is best for Joe, you all know that money won't be a factor because he has enough of it, so if his doctor feels that Joe can continue to play with little risk to the rest of his life then I'm pretty sure Joe will probably play. If his doctor tells him that there is significant risk to his well being for the rest of his life then I'm sure Joe will be done. None of us have any idea how Joe's body will respond to this.??.

I hope he is fine, but if he isn't then he will have to move on.

I mean John Olerud used to play in the field with a batting helmet on because he had a brain aneurysm, I mean how dangerous was that? Any smack to his head and it would have been all over in a matter of seconds. But his doctors felt he was ok.

Edited by Twodogs, 01 June 2018 - 07:02 AM.

• ken likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#18 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

At this point, to not retire is insane.The Twins need to sit him down and tell him that it was a good run, but we are finished here.No way the Twins should endorse him going back out on the field.Not if stuff like this can happen without even knowing how.

I know some people care a lot about Joe's legacy as a baseball player and would like to see him play a few more seasons so he can accumulate more hits so that his case for Cooperstown is stronger.Anyone who gives a rip about Joe would let go of that and I am talking mostly to the Twins organization here.Now is the time to take him aside and tell him it is time to move forward into another era.There willl be no extension or no new contract.If he wants to keep on playing then let the blood be on the hands of another franchise.

Game over, Joe Mauer

• jud6312 likes this

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

Minor technical matter, but I expect he won't retire until after the season. He incurred his latest injury while performing baseball duties, so he deserves to get paid and this can be done while on the 60-day DL. Same diff, as far as rosters go of course...

• Carole Keller, Jerr and ewen21 like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

Minor technical matter, but I expect he won't retire until after the season. He incurred his latest injury while performing baseball duties, so he deserves to get paid and this can be done while on the 60-day DL. Same diff, as far as rosters go of course...

Agreed. If I was the Twins, I'd offer an injury settlement, and let him retire during a slow MLB period. Like, just before the ASB.
  • jokin and ewen21 like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....