Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Catcher: DFA Wilson and look to AAA?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

The Twins, desperately in need of more offense, have two right handed bats at catcher in AAA:
 Wynston Sawyer and Williams Astudillo. Is it time to replace the anemic hitting of Bobby Wilson with one of these guys? Won't solve the current run production problem, but it couldn't hurt.  Watching this line-up fail to score night in and night out is starting to wear me down! Are these desperate times needing desperate measures???

Edited by strumdatjaguar, 27 May 2018 - 09:19 AM.

• jun and Sconnie like this

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

Does one AAAA journeyman make a difference over a AAA lifer? Can’t hurt to try.

#3 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

As I said - desperate times. Doen't look like much else at AAA would upgrade this line-up. Not excited about Carter unless he proves something.

#4 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

The Twins, desperately in need of more offense, have two right handed bats at catcher in AAA:
 Wynston Sawyer and Williams Astudillo. Is it time to replace the anemic hitting of Bobby Wilson with one of these guys? Won't solve the current run production problem, but it couldn't hurt.  Watching this line-up fail to score night in and night out is starting to wear me down! Are these desperate times needing desperate measures???

I like the out of the box thinking but looking for a team offensive boost and starting the search at the catcher position is like digging for gold in your bathtub.:)

This team needs bigger... it needs to find that Mark Reynolds type in the AAAA wasteland. 

But more importantly... 

Molitor needs to play whoever they bring in for the boost. Lavine could go find that guy but if the player gets LaMarre or Petit playing time... it won't matter. 

I've said this multiple times and i'm going to say it again. If Molitor can't find playing time for Ryan LaMarre with the team hitting like it is. There is no point having Ryan LaMarre on the roster. 

Molitor seems to be determined to not change course including going down with the ship I assume. 

• Carole Keller, jokin, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

I am very intrigued by Astudillo and his ultra-low K rate.
  • Oldgoat_MN and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,493 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Molly could play Garver a bit more and get an offensive boost too.
  • Sconnie likes this

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,585 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

I am very intrigued by Astudillo and his ultra-low K rate.

My vague recollection is that his work behind the plate doesn't draw rave reviews. Discounting his limited action in 2017 played in PCL thin air, his early hitting at Rochester looks like Small Sample Size as yet, compared to his body of work compiled at AA and below. He doesn't walk a lot, to go along with the low SO rate. Maybe he's figured something out these past couple of years, but all in all my expectations for him would be very muted, if he ever gets called up.

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#8 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

My vague recollection is that his work behind the plate doesn't draw rave reviews. Discounting his limited action in 2017 played in PCL thin air, his early hitting at Rochester looks like Small Sample Size as yet, compared to his body of work compiled at AA and below. He doesn't walk a lot, to go along with the low SO rate. Maybe he's figured something out these past couple of years, but all in all my expectations for him would be very muted, if he ever gets called up.

Reminds me of a guy that used to catch for the Twins. Actually, a couple different guys.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#9 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

Wynston Sawyer and Williams Astudillo. Is it time to replace the anemic hitting of Bobby Wilson with one of these guys? Won't solve the current run production problem, but it couldn't hurt. Watching this line-up fail to score night in and night out is starting to wear me down! Are these desperate times needing desperate measures???

It would be pretty foolish to try to replace the offense the Twins essentially aren’t getting from Sano, Buxton, Dozier, Polanco and Mauer by acquiring a catcher. There’s no catcher out there that has that kind of bat. Better than Wilson? Sure. Enough to really move the needle? Not IMO.

If the Twins don’t get production from the players listed above, they can forget the playoffs in 2018. No trade they can make will help enough to replace the core of the offense. No team could essentially replace their core offense midseason.

It’s time to start thinking about 2019 and beyond IMO.

#10 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

As I said - desperate times. Doen't look like much else at AAA would upgrade this line-up. Not excited about Carter unless he proves something.

Gordon over Ehire? I think so, at least until Polanco comes back.
  • jun likes this

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,534 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

It’s time to start thinking about 2019 and beyond IMO.

Going crazy and acquiring a bunch of rental bats and draining the farm system would be ill-advised. Each fan can reach their own conclusions and make their own commitment to level of support.

But in this incredibly weak 2018 AL Central, it's highly premature to just write the season off before Memorial Day.

The pitching is really starting to shape up, timed right with the Romero promotion. With even more veteran and prospect impact pitching infusion just around the corner, it's shortsighted to just assume that this currently sputtering offense definitely won't fire on more cylinders as we head into the hot summer.

1987 is still within the realm of memory. All it takes is:

1) for enough players in the batting order to get hot going into October and

2) that the pitching continue its current upward trajectory.

Edited by jokin, 27 May 2018 - 03:35 PM.

• Sconnie and tarheeltwinsfan like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#12 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

3). For the Indians to continue to play way below their run differential.

The Indians are just as likely to pick it up as the Twins. Moreso perhaps. It would be shortsighted to think they are going to continue to sputter through the season. They have barely scratched the surface of their AL Central schedule either.

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,585 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:14 PM

1987 is still within the realm of memory. All it takes is:

1) for enough players in the batting order to get hot going into October and

2) that the pitching continue its current upward trajectory.

3) Getting to .500 somewhere along the way would also be good. :)

• nmcowboy likes this

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#14 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

Agreed, I would just find it interesting to see what Astudillo's one skill could do in MLB. Probably not enough to swap him for Wilson while we still have hopes of contention, though.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#15 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

I agree, Petit getting more starts and LaMarre getting more at bats makes mucho sense!