Feliz cumpleaños Jose Berrios! Jose Berrios was born (only) 24 years ago today in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. You might be curious, as I was, to know how Puerto Ricans celebrate birthdays. Well, it’s pretty easy to explain, because they celebrate much in the same way Americans do. Except, in Puerto Rico the legal drinking age is 18. Jose Berrios will be starting today’s game and hopefully the Twins can help get him a ‘W’ for his birthday.
The Mariners (31-20, 2nd in AL West) are hosting the Twins (21-26, 2nd in AL Central) for game 3 of a 3-game series. The Twins dropped the first two games of the series to the Mariners, each 1-run losses. In 1-run games, the Twins are 3-10 and the Mariners are 15-8, most wins in the MLB. Today, look for the Twins to try and get to Leake early and often.
Note: After crashing into the wall, harder than your Uncle crashed your wedding, Byron Buxton is day to day and no corresponding roster moves have been made.
Since I’m writing the game thread, Riverbrian, our game thread virtuoso, can be lazy today. Or maybe he’ll find something better to do with his time? What’s there to do today in the Twin Cities and surrounding area?
1. Things Riverbrian can do today instead of writing a game thread
- Check out the Sportsology exhibit at the Science Museum of Minnesota. Want to pull a hamstring trying to run faster than a T-rex? Want to show off to little kids by jumping and touching a basketball 8.5 feet off the ground? Or my favorite, the motion lab shows you in slow-motion how truly bad your throwing mechanics actually are. They should have included a speed gun to see if I can still throw a whopping 75 mph.
- Book Club. No, I really don’t want to hear what you think about Fifty Shades Freed. No, I’m not talking about the new movie starring Diane Keaton and Jane Fonda, either. Check out the new Book Club restaurant on Penn Ave in Minneapolis, with food by Asher Miller (former chef of 20.21 restaurant at the Walker Art Center).
- Go see a floating concert. While you could perhaps make any concert a floating concert by inebriating yourself, head out to Lake Winona at 4pm to watch Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers perform on a floating stage. I’m guessing that jet skis are discouraged. 5-to-1 odds that there’s a major instrument or electrical malfunction in the 95-degree heat. 25-to-1 odds that a musician falls into the lake.
Disclaimer: The activities/events mentioned are in the Twins Cities and greater Minnesota, and do not necessarily reflect the current whereabouts or residence of Riverbrian.
2. Starting Pitchers and Key Matchups
Jose Berrios (RHP, Minnesota): 5-4 in 10 starts, 3.82 ERA, 8.7 K/9, 1.8 BB/9
- First career appearance at Safeco Field
- 1-1, 4.97 ERA career (2 starts) vs. Mariners
- Mitch Haniger vs. Berrios: 0 for 6 with 2 K’s
- Kyle Seager vs. Berrios: 2 for 5 with 1 HR and 2 RBI
Mike Leake (RHP, Seattle): 4-3 in 10 starts, 5.46 ERA, 5.8 K/9, 2.5 BB/9
- 1-0, 5.82 ERA career (3 starts) vs. Twins
- Brian Dozier vs. Leake: 1 for 9 with 1 HR and 3 RBI, 2 K’s
- Eddie Rosario vs. Leake: 3 for 4 with 1 double
- Eduardo Escobar career @ Safeco Field: 4 for 35 (.114) with 1 BB and 11 K’s
- Logan Morrison: Spent 2 years with Mariners. 91 for 422(.216) career @ Safeco Field)
3. Our Twins: Who’s Hot and Cold?
Hotter than a Casserole Hotdish
- Max Kepler: 5 for 14 (.357 BA, 1.185 OPS) with 1 HR, 4 RBI last 7 days
- Logan Morrison: 9 for 28 (.321 BA, .972 OPS) 8 walks last 14 days
- Fernando Rodney: 0 ER and 2 hits allowed (.071 OBA) last 28 days
Colder than Embarrass
- Eduardo Escobar: 3 for 18 (.167 BA, .472 OPS) with 0 RBI last 7 days
- Mitch Garver: 4 for 25 (.160 BA, .422 OPS) with 0 RBI last 14 days
- Byron Buxton: 4 for 27 (.148 BA, .333 OPS) last 14 days
- Robbie Grossman: 1 for 11 (.091 BA, .305 OPS) last 7 days
4. OBP (One Bad Pun)
Last month after the April Blizzard my car hit a big pothole. It bent the hubcap on one of my rear wheels and even managed to crack the tailpipe. I had Discount Tire fix my tire and they did a great job. I decided to replace the tailpipe myself, but that was a terrible idea because it was way too exhausting.
5. Magic 8-Ball (2018 Prediction Rate: 1-0)
Shake 1: “Better not tell you now” (how about I go find my hammer?)
Shake 2: “It is certain”
Shake 3: “Most likely”
My Magic 8-ball says… Twins win today.
P. Jose Berrios (RHP)
P. Mike Leake (RHP)
Forecast for Seattle, WA: 71 degrees F, Sunny, Wind 6 mph, Precipitation 0%