Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Hanley Ramirez DFA'd

hanley ramirez
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Twinsbar107

Twinsbar107

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

Red Sox DFA'd Hanley, Thoughts?

https://www.mlb.com/...ent/c-278245918

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,517 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

He's not completely washed up at the plate. Is he just a 1B these days?

#3 youngtwinsfan

youngtwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

I would love to have him. I would not love to have his contract. 

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,517 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

I would love to have him. I would not love to have his contract.

Now that he's DFA'd the Sox are on the hook for the $15 million. The Twins would pay him whatever the minimum is.

#5 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

He is way better than Carter or Vargas and he should be better than Morrison. He is a much better DH than Grossman.

Edited by jun, 25 May 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

Now that he's DFA'd the Sox are on the hook for the $15 million. The Twins would pay him whatever the minimum is.

Not quite yet.DFA is a purgatory.It means that the team has 7 days to trade, release, and/or place on outright waivers a player.The last option is moot for Ramirez, since he will not accept a MiLB assignment and will be a free agent, making it equivalent to releasing him.

I suspect that there will be trade interest for Ramirez and the Red Sox will get something back, including $.

• Vanimal46 and MN_ExPat like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

That's only if he clears waivers. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,517 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

Not quite yet. DFA is a purgatory. It means that the team has 7 days to trade, release, and/or place on outright waivers a player. The last option is moot for Ramirez, since he will not accept a MiLB assignment and will be a free agent, making it equivalent to releasing him.

I suspect that there will be trade interest for Ramirez and the Red Sox will get something back, including $.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification!

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

I'd pass. He's posting a 88 OPS+ while playing in Fenway. He has a sub .300 OBP away from there. He's cooked. 

HanRam getting old makes me feel old. I remember when he burst onto the scene for Florida in 2006. Man, he was something. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#10 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

Interesting. I think he's still a savvy, veteran hitter who could help some club. Just not sure that he would fit well on the Twins roster. 

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

I've watched him a little closer than the average player while he's been with the Sox. He's a truly terrible defender even at 1B, and the scuttlebutt has always been that he's not a positive clubhouse presence. OTOH I have witnessed him doing great things at the plate in the clutch - objectively clutchness is a mooted topic but subjectively he's not the guy a pitcher would want to face with the game on the line. If his hitting skills have now eroded to the point he can't even do that, and his stats this year suggest that, then he has literally zero value. I pass, as with most DFAed veterans unless I think his front office is dumb.

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

He's not good. It's really hard to shake impressions of the past.... But he's not hitting, and he can't field.

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

Jack: So who should pick up Hanley Ramirez for league minimum after he’s released? The Rays could use another right-handed 1B/DH type who isn’t Rob Refsnyder to spell Miller against lefties. Do you think Ramirez has anything left?

9:09
Jeff Sullivan: I don’t know what the point of Ramirez would be for anyone anymore

9:10
Jeff Sullivan: He doesn’t field, he doesn’t run, and he’s no longer much of a hitter. I know that he can still generate some impressive peak exit velocities, but in terms of value, this isn’t a desirable or unusual skillset
  • jokin likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,605 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

If he could play LF and take a MiLB deal, sure. 

With the whispers of attitude issues always following him, he doesn't seem like a player the "veteran leadership" heavy Twins would be interested in.

• jokin likes this

#15 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

On a minimum deal, I'd be fine adding him if Mauer is out for an extended period of time. I'm not sure if his bat is actually cooked at this point... I would be a bit worried about personality problems, though. He's hitting .854 against lefties this season so he'd be a solution to our woes against LHPs.

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,668 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

He's not good. It's really hard to shake impressions of the past.... But he's not hitting, and he can't field.

He had an awful last 5 games, but before that he was .287/.345/.446.For the season, his WPA is 0.239.That would have been 5th among the Twins' players.

At this point he would be an improvement over Grossman and Adrianza, both of whom for some reason are in the lineup today.

-----

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

He had an awful last 5 games, but before that he was .287/.345/.446.For the season, his WPA is 0.239.That would have been 5th among the Twins' players.

At this point he would be an improvement over Grossman and Adrianza, both of whom for some reason are in the lineup today.

Maybe because someone needs to be in the field?
  • jokin and TheLeviathan like this

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

If we add to our roster we need to add players that can bring a glove to their job too. 

Hanley hasn't been able to do that for a long, long time.

#19 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,668 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

If we add to our roster we need to add players that can bring a glove to their job too. 

Hanley hasn't been able to do that for a long, long time.

And Grossman has?

• Sconnie likes this
-----

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

And Grossman has?

No, but we aren't in a position where we have to trade for or acquire Robbie Grossman.And since we already have him, I don't see the point in having another.

And at least Grossman can hit a little.Ramirez can't even do that anymore.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 25 May 2018 - 06:03 PM.