Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Mariners, 5/26 @ 9:10 PM CT

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

I am getting this game thread up early because I am helping family members move tomorrow. Sadly this means I will not be able to watch the Twins as they are Cubs fans (ick). Hopefully the Twins come to play late in the month as I will hopefully be at Wrigley watching the Twins sweep the Cubbies. Anyway, lets get on to what everyone is here for. 

GAME TIME WEATHER: 63 Degrees Fahrenheit, Partly Cloudy. My guess is the roof will be closed, but then again I'm posting on a Twins forum, not sitting in a news room doing weather. 

PITCHING MATCHUP: Jake Odorizzi (3-2, 3.17 ERA) vs Wade LeBlanc (0-0, 2.65 ERA)

If memory serves me correctly this is the matchup we got in the makeup game at target field. Seattle won that game. 

LINEUPS:

Obviously not announced yet

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mill's Milling Moments

1. Call up Chris Carter

I know this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but this is something that I would do. The Twins are in need of a right handed power bat. Yes, Carter strikes out a lot, but he also launches the ball into the seats a fair share of the time. I would much rather have Chris Carter in the DH slot against a lefty over Robbie Grossman, or the threat of Carter coming off the bench over Petit or LaMarre. Pretty easy decision in my mind. 

2Prediction - Ervin doesn't appear until July

It looked as if Ervin was going to be back in mid-to-early June, but that date looks to be less and less attainable. In case you missed it, it was announced that Erv would be sent back to Fort Myers to pitch in A ball again on Tuesday after his velocity was down. It was reported that he didn't break 90 MPH in his last rehab start. At this point I believe any value that the Twins get from Erv this year is icing on the cake. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him make another "big" start in a Twins uniform. 

3. Buxton flails when behind in the count

Obviously this isn't a surprise to anyone, but hitters are better when ahead in the count, and worse when behind. This especially applies to Byron Buxton. Phil Miller tweeted that "When Buxton reaches a 1-2 count he is 0-29 on the year, and has recorded 19 K's." Now what exactly does this mean? I don't have an answer for you. Does it mean that Buxton is falling for breaking balls down in the count. Yeah. Does it mean that Buxton needs to be more aggressive early in the count? Maybe. It will be interesting to see how it plays how for Buxton. Much like the Kepler vs Lefties debate, I believe the most important thing to Byron is reps. Let's hope he showcases the same success Max has. 

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 9 others like this

Career Game Thread Record: 2-1

#2 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,910 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

I am getting this game thread up early because I am helping family members move tomorrow. Sadly this means I will not be able to watch the Twins as they are Cubs fans (ick). Hopefully the Twins come to play late in the month as I will hopefully be at Wrigley watching the Twins sweep the Cubbies. Anyway, lets get on to what everyone is here for. 

GAME TIME WEATHER: 63 Degrees Fahrenheit, Partly Cloudy. My guess is the roof will be closed, but then again I'm posting on a Twins forum, not sitting in a news room doing weather. 

PITCHING MATCHUP: Jake Odorizzi (3-2, 3.17 ERA) vs Wade LeBlanc (0-0, 2.65 ERA)

If memory serves me correctly this is the matchup we got in the makeup game at target field. Seattle won that game. 

LINEUPS:

Obviously not announced yet

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mill's Milling Moments

1. Call up Chris Carter

I know this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but this is something that I would do. The Twins are in need of a right handed power bat. Yes, Carter strikes out a lot, but he also launches the ball into the seats a fair share of the time. I would much rather have Chris Carter in the DH slot against a lefty over Robbie Grossman, or the threat of Carter coming off the bench over Petit or LaMarre. Pretty easy decision in my mind. 

2Prediction - Ervin doesn't appear until July

It looked as if Ervin was going to be back in mid-to-early June, but that date looks to be less and less attainable. In case you missed it, it was announced that Erv would be sent back to Fort Myers to pitch in A ball again on Tuesday after his velocity was down. It was reported that he didn't break 90 MPH in his last rehab start. At this point I believe any value that the Twins get from Erv this year is icing on the cake. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him make another "big" start in a Twins uniform. 

3. Buxton flails when behind in the count

Obviously this isn't a surprise to anyone, but hitters are better when ahead in the count, and worse when behind. This especially applies to Byron Buxton. Phil Miller tweeted that "When Buxton reaches a 1-2 count he is 0-29 on the year, and has recorded 19 K's." Now what exactly does this mean? I don't have an answer for you. Does it mean that Buxton is falling for breaking balls down in the count. Yeah. Does it mean that Buxton needs to be more aggressive early in the count? Maybe. It will be interesting to see how it plays how for Buxton. Much like the Kepler vs Lefties debate, I believe the most important thing to Byron is reps. Let's hope he showcases the same success Max has. 

Good constructive comments about Buxton.

I think Carter was signed because they got have someone who might provide a jolt from the right side and if Morrison gets hurt we start to get pretty thin at 1B. Chances are we won't see him with the big club but if the right side doesn't get things going and Carter is performing in Rochester... who knows. 

Santana... I hope you are wrong. Let the rehab continue. 

• glunn and Blake like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#3 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

For those interested, here's a link to Phil Miller's full update on Ervin Santana's rehab.

• USAFChief, glunn, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#4 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

LeBlanc again? Oh boy, we're doomed.

Also, the news on Ervin is bad... it reminds me of Santiago's injury last year where he rehabbed but he couldn't regain his speed. Here's hoping Santana finds his velocity...

• glunn likes this

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,157 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

LeBlanc again? Oh boy, we're doomed.

27238__3.jpg

• glunn and Riverbrian like this

Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.-- Robert Louis Stevenson

#6 TwinsCD

TwinsCD

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

The scouting report on Bux (and Sano for the most part) is to feed them a steady diet of breaking balls, especially when there's 2 strikes.If I were a pitcher or a pitching coach, I'd make sure those two NEVER saw a fastball.That said, I feel like Bux would be better off if he was more aggressive early in the count when he's seeing decent pitches.I see him take far too many pitches for strikes and once he gets behind, the pitcher has him at their will.

• glunn and Platoon like this

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,157 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:53 PM

The scouting report on Bux (and Sano for the most part) is to feed them a steady diet of breaking balls, especially when there's 2 strikes.If I were a pitcher or a pitching coach, I'd make sure those two NEVER saw a fastball.That said, I feel like Bux would be better off if he was more aggressive early in the count when he's seeing decent pitches.I see him take far too many pitches for strikes and once he gets behind, the pitcher has him at their will.

Low breaking pitches can be great for drag bunts. Maybe not with two strikes, or maybe so anyway when things are this bad.... just sayin'.

• glunn likes this

Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.-- Robert Louis Stevenson

#8 TwinsCD

TwinsCD

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

Low breaking pitches can be great for drag bunts. Maybe not with two strikes, or maybe so anyway when things are this bad.... just sayin'.

He's gotta do something to get that speed on base and if a few drag bunts is what it takes to wake him up, then so be it.

• glunn likes this

#9 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

"When Buxton reaches a 1-2 count he is 0-29 on the year, and has recorded 19 K's." 

The famous "He's already dead!" scene from Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan comes to mind.

1527378652991549.gif?1527378706

• glunn likes this

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,157 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

"When Buxton reaches a 1-2 count he is 0-29 on the year, and has recorded 19 K's." 

The famous "He's already dead!" scene from Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan comes to mind.

So then maybe a foul bunt attempt with two strikes isn't the end of the world?

spock-death.jpg

"What do you think of my solution?" :)

• glunn and Teflon like this

#11 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:00 PM

Call up Chris Carter
I know this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but this is something that I would do. The Twins are in need of a right handed power bat. Yes, Carter strikes out a lot, but he also launches the ball into the seats a fair share of the time. I would much rather have Chris Carter in the DH slot against a lefty over Robbie Grossman, or the threat of Carter coming off the bench over Petit or LaMarre. Pretty easy decision in my mind. >>>>>>. Very nice write up. The Chris Carter thing raises a couple questions, that are hard to prioritize. One is his lack of flexibility. And I am fully aware that RG isn't the model of that trait in the first place. And secondly, will the MOY use him to PH. IIRC both RP last night were RH? Was LoMo hurt? More head scratching. :(
  • milldaddy35 likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#12 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

optimystic

• Members
  • 6,639 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

So then maybe a foul bunt attempt with two strikes isn't the end of the world?

spock-death.jpg

"What do you think of my solution?" :)

There's no i in Spock.
  • ashburyjohn, Teflon and Riverbrian like this

#13 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

This reminds me of an item from a David Letterman top ten list--top ten lines from one of the Star Trek movies: "I'm a doctor, Jim, not a very good actor!"
  • Teflon, Riverbrian, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#14 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

optimystic

• Members
  • 6,639 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

And then there were lineups...

Twins
Jake Odorizzi ( R)

1. Brian Dozier (R ) 2B
2. Max Kepler (L) RF
3. Miguel Sano (R ) 1B
4. Eddie Rosario (L) LF
5. Eduardo Escobar (S) 3B
6. Mitch Garver ( R) C
7. Logan Morrison (L) DH
8. Gregorio Petit ( R) SS
9. Byron Buxton ( R) CF

Mariners
Wade LeBlanc (L)

1. Jean Segura ( R) SS
2. Guillermo Heredia (R ) CF
3. Mitch Haniger ( R) RF
4. Nelson Cruz (R ) DH
5. Kyle Seager (L) 3B
6. Ryon Healy ( R) 1B
7. Ben Gamel (L) LF
8. Mike Zunino ( R) C
9. Andrew Romine (S) 2B
  • glunn, Riverbrian and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#15 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,415 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

Call up Chris Carter
I know this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but this is somet

3nbQI3.gif
  • ashburyjohn and Riverbrian like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#16 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

optimystic

• Members
  • 6,639 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Oh yeah, thanks all for keeping this short so far.

I got distracted and didn't read all of yesterday's game thread.

Now i can catch up on that.

Happy Memorial day weekend, y'all!
  • glunn and Riverbrian like this

#17 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

3nbQI3.gif

I never would have cut and pasted that if I had known it was that controversial..... I think I will stick with kitty videos from now on..... :)
  • Riverbrian and Hosken Bombo Disco like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#18 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

Memo to Dick Bremer: don't wear that suit jacket in front of the camera any more.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#19 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,415 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:07 PM

kitty videos

3nbQI3.gif
  • Blake and Riverbrian like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#20 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,459 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

Moderator note -- I hope that everyone has read RB's game thread opener for yesterdays game. If you have not read this already, I recommend that you do so now.

We are trying to change the tone of game threads to reduce the rough edges a bit, and it takes a village to have really good game threads. Please work with us on this. 

• Blake, Riverbrian and Platoon like this