Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily Roundtable: Top Prospect Timelines

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Writers
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

Twins Daily Roundtable is a new weekly series. As part of this series, a question will be posed to the site’s writers and they will respond in 200 words or less. This will give readers an opportunity to see multiple points of view and then add their own point of view in the comments section.

Top prospects are a fickle bunch. For every Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton, there is an Adam Johnson and a BJ Garbe. The truth is that it takes a lot for a prospect to make it to the major leagues. Big league rosters are limited and teams have a lot to consider. More players miss out on their big league dream than ever find success.

Twins fans have seen top pitching prospect Fernando Romero make his much anticipated debut this season. In fact, last week’s roundtable discussion looked into his rotation spot after the return of Ervin Santana. Now fans might be wondering when the next big prospects will be on their way.

This week’s roundtable question is “What’s the timeline for the organization’s top prospects?”Nick Nelson
Nick Gordon is the most interesting case right now. Ehire Adrianza is doing everything he can to play his way out of a regular gig. Maybe that takes care of itself if Miguel Sano returns this weekend, but should that timeline get pushed back at all, you've gotta think it's worth giving the kid a shot. The offense could really use a spark.

Stephen Gonsalves and Zack Littell are ready for a look but there are no imminent vacancies in the rotation. They're behind Trevor May in line, then Ervin Santana, and probably Aaron Slegers too.

Brent Rooker would be making things interesting right now if he were tearing it up in Double-A like he did Single-A, but he's been slow to get going. Still wouldn't totally shock me to see him heat up and reach the Twins in the second half, pending Joe Mauer's situation.

The rest of the team's top prospects are basically all in Low-A ball, so I wouldn't expect to see any until 2020 at least. Outside chance Royce Lewis makes it up in 2019 if he muscles up quick.

John Bonnes
Let’s go through a few top prospects, starting with the closest...

Stephen Gonsalves (AAA-P) and Zach Littel (AAA-P) – I’m not sure Littel would be considered a top prospect (he was #11 on our list), but his stock is rising and we'll see both this year.

Brent Rooker (AA-1B/DH) – A slow start, but he’s heating up. Normally, that would mean he waits until next year, but opportunity gets him some time this year.

Nick Gordon (AA-SS) – There’s a decent chance we could see him this year, but I’ll speculate 2019. At just 22 years old, that’s soon enough.

Alex Kiriloff – (Low A-OF) – He's overlooked due to missing last year, but the 20-year-old is killing Cedar Rapids. Still, he would need to be inhuman to make it in 2019, so let’s say 2020.

Royce Lewis – (Low A-SS) – Speaking of inhuman, Lewis thrived in Cedar Rapids late last year and again early this year, making it likely the 19-year-old will make it to High-A soon. That could mean 2020 but, let’s give him room to stumble. I’ll predict 2021.

Tom Froemming
Seeing 20-year-old Ronald Acuna hold his own with the Braves and now 19-year-old Juan Soto being called up by the Nationals, you can’t help but wonder when we may see Royce Lewis.

Lewis turns 19 in a matter of weeks, but if the Twins intend on developing him as a shortstop I foresee at least two more full seasons down on the farm. His physical development will play a role in where he ends up, but he definitely has the speed to be an impact defender in the outfield. Not a bad fallback option.

Either way, I don’t think we see Lewis at Target Field until 2021 at the earliest.

As for the rest of Twins Daily’s top five, Fernando Romero has already arrived and both Nick Gordon and Stephen Gonsalves appear ready for a taste of the majors. As for Alex Kirilloff, who’s 20, I’ve been really impressed by his swing. As a bat only guy, I wouldn’t be shocked if he was ready at the end of next year. The problem is I’m not so sure where he’ll end up in the field.

Cody Christie
If you would have asked me at different points throughout last season, I would have said that Stephen Gonsalves would make his major league debut before Fernando Romero. That doesn’t mean Romero’s stuff isn’t better but Gonsalves had a longer track record of minor league success. Gonsalves has also been very good this season so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him before the end of the year.

Considering Minnesota’s entire left side of the infield has missed time this year, I’m surprised Nick Gordon hasn’t made his debut. The Twins have been filling in the shortstop role with some lackluster options and Gordon could provide a spark. I still wouldn’t be surprised to see him this summer.

There’s an outside chance of Brent Rooker and Tyler Jay making their debuts this season but Gonsalves and Gordon are the two big names I expect to see in the coming months. Other top prospects like Royce Lewis, Alex Kirilloff, and Busdar Graterol are still multiple years away from getting the call.

Jeremy Nygaard
Alex Kirilloff was my #1 Twins prospect after his short-season debut in 2016. If I recall correctly, he missed the playoffs of that season. Then early in 2017 we find out he's going to miss the whole upcoming season with Tommy John surgery. After not facing live pitching for well over a year, there were obviously going to be questions. It's safe to say, he's answering those questions with his hot start to 2018.

His 14-game hitting streak was snapped recently, but what I find most impressive is his ability to hit left-handed pitchers. In 2013, as a 20-year-old in low-A, Max Kepler had seven hits (including one extra base hit) against left-handed pitchers all year. Kirilloff, also 20 in low-A, has seven hits against lefties already and he's slugging over .600. Needless to say, at some point this summer (or maybe earlier) he'll head to Fort Myers.

And who knows... could he make up some lost at-bats in the Arizona Fall League later this year? Starting next year in Chattanooga doesn't seem out of the question if he continues to hit. Could he be knocking on the door within two years? Seems lofty. But so are his numbers.

Ted Schwerzler
The group is loaded at the top, but the Twins have some very nice depth as well. Obviously Royce Lewis is the hot name, but there are some real contributors ahead of him as well.

I’d expect to see Nick Gordon the next time Minnesota needs an infielder. He should’ve been promoted when Miguel Sano was DL'd, and he’s more than graduated beyond Double-A.

Teammate Brent Rooker got off to a slow start, but has heated up considerably of late. I’m not a fan of the K/BB ratio and what it says about plate discipline, but I believe he’ll settle in and that bat will play. Counting on him to debut in 2019 is a decent bet.

Stephen Gonsalves is already at Triple-A, and aside from one lackluster outing in 2018, he’s appeared big league ready as well. Minnesota could opt to give Aaron Slegers or Adalberto Mejia a shot first, but Gonsalves deserves the next rotation opening.

From there you’ve got the group including Lewis, Brusdar Graterol, Alex Kirilloff, and a host of others. Tons of talent amongst them, but at least two years away from the big leagues still.

SD Buhr
Among the Twins’ top prospects, there are those who should potentially arrive yet this year (Gordon, Gonsalves, Littell, Wade) and those that are more likely to debut in 2020 (Blankenhorn, Diaz, Lewis, Kirilloff) or beyond (Graterol, Enlow, Javier, Baddoo). In between, there aren’t many I realistically expect to see next season.

Brent Rooker could be one, but he’s not exactly setting Chattanooga on fire so far this year. It’s possible that LaMonte Wade’s arrival could wait until 2019 and it’s also possible that one or both of Royce Lewis and Alex Kirilloff could shoot up through the ranks enough over the next 15 months that they’d get a September call-up in 2019, though that would seem pretty ambitious to me.

The next year is going to be critical for pitcher Lewis Thorpe. If he can get back on track, he would be another potential 2019 arrival.

Steve Lein
I’ve been interested in the prospect timeline idea since the new front office took over in 2016. Not necessarily what any top prospect’s current timeline might be, but just how different Derek Falvey’s crew might handle this part of the organization. There absolutely was smoke behind the national perception fire that Terry Ryan’s regime was slow on such things, and that was the biggest thing I wanted the new guys to change.

Now, I also believe that prospects must earn it with their performance, but does that mean they put up an enticing OPS? Impress a scout’s eye? Meet individual goals set by the organization, or some other statistical thresholds?
I think it’s a combination of things like that, or even one extraordinary circumstance that can hasten a timeline. It also shouldn’t be a one size fits all approach but tailored individually.

Looking at current top prospects, names like Royce Lewis, Alex Kirilloff, Nick Gordon, and LaMonte Wade are all deserving of promotions. For the latter two, that could even mean their MLB timeline is this summer. Stephen Gonsalves’ MLB debut is also imminent.

In the case of Lewis, I see the 2019 season mentioned a lot around here but give me 2020 and that still would be fast. Fernando Romero got to the majors quicker this season than I thought he would too.

So, I like how that old perception is changing, and I expect the top prospect timelines will continue to be faster than we’re used to. Overall, that a good thing in my book.

Andrew Thares
One of my favorite Twins prospects is Blayne Enlow. He has a plus fastball, and had arguably the best high school curveball in last year’s draft. Even better, Enlow has excellent control for a pitcher of his age.

He got off to a great start in the minor leagues last season, but hasn’t been quite as sharp this year in Cedar Rapids, though that could be due to him battling the injury bug. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he flies up the prospect ranking boards over the next couple of seasons.

Seth Stohs
I'm going to separate the Twins prospects into a few categories based on readiness. We'll start with a couple of guys that are already there. Fernando Romero came up ready to fill a rotation spot, and Mitch Garver earned the opportunity to be one of two MLB catchers. Let's look a little deeper.

Ready Now, Need Opportunity: Stephen Gonsalves has now made four starts for the Red Wings. Three of them have gone well. One, not so much. He's close to ready, but we''ll see how (or if) the Twins create an opportunity for him. The same can be said even more strongly about Aaron Slegers who has little to prove in AAA. In addition, prospects John Curtiss and Luke Bard are ready now (along with no-longer-a-"prospect" Alan Busenitz).

The one position player that fits the Ready Now, Need Opportunity category, for me, is LaMonte Wade. Obviously the DL stint right now with the shoulder injury slows the timeline, but he's ready. Of course Zack Granite and Jake Cave are also prospects who are ready and in need of an opportunity. Cave is currently up but that's likely short-term, for now.

Sometime In 2018: Gabriel Moya needed more time in the minors to start 2018. He's close, but he needs more work. Nick Gordon has been promoted to AAA. He's close. He continues to hit for average while adding more power to his pace from last year. He'll have to show he can last a full season, but the only way to do that is to do that. Zack Littell fits into this category as well. If he continues to pitch well with the Red Wings, he could be up by year's end too. Finally, Tyler Jay is still working his way back,, but he's got the stuff to contribute in the big leagues in 2018. (Don't forget Felix Jorge, who hasn't pitched yet this season due to a knee injury.)

2019 Timeline: Brent Rooker may be up by year's end. He's come on nicely after a slow start, but the Twins will want to see more power before they'd call him up. More likely is a debut early in 2019. By late in 2019, we may see LHP Lewis Thorpe. And, while it would be remarkably quick, don't be surprised if we see any of the Royce Lewis, Alex Kirilloff, Brusdar Graterol Kernels trio in the big leagues.

Who do you expect to see at Target Field this season? How fast will the top prospects move? Leave a COMMENT and start the discussion.

Click here to view the article
  • ashburyjohn, glunn, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

Cody Christie
@nodaktwinsfan

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,500 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

I just don't think we see Gordon w/o a Sano set back, or a trade of one of their current players....not until next year is my guess. I wish he was up when Sano went down, but didn't happen. Not with Polanco coming back in a month or two or whatever the timing is.

Wade, imo, should have come up when Buxton was out, or even Cave. I don't really think of Granite as a "prospect", but he can play D and run, and he should be on someone's roster as a 4th/5th OF, imo. Between those three, they are set at 4th/5th OF for some time, I think. The handedness doesn't matter a ton to me, but I understand why others would disagree.

I think Gonsalves is up at some point this year, when something happens to 2-3 SPs during the year. IF they are worried about Romero's innings, it might make sense to have Stephen come up, and to rest Romero for a few starts. Maybe, not sure. That might be Slegers' role, or Mejia (is he a prospect still, I think you are all forgetting him if he is)?

I don't see anyone else that is likely to do much, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a RP, this year....

• glunn, Teflon, brvama and 5 others like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,074 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

What am I missing on Zach Littell where his stock is rising? Does he still sit 89-91 with his fastball and no plus offspeed pitch? I'd put him behind Gonsalves, Slegers, and Mejia on the priority list of SP to call up.
  • birdwatcher and caninatl04 like this

#4 djvang

djvang

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

Nick Nelson?

#5 HrbekRules

HrbekRules

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Location1991

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

Nick Nelson?

He was first.

#6 Tommygun921

Tommygun921

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

I think Gordon comes up for a few weeks before Polanco comes back. Assuming he keeps it rolling in AAA. They need to find out what he has before a hopefull playoff spot. As Polanco will miss said playoffs. Once Polanco comes back he'll head back to Rochester for awhile awaiting an opportunity or just make his own.
I think Slegers comes up before Gonsalves unless there's a situation where he could stick for a prolonged look. Via injury or whatever.
  • glunn and caninatl04 like this

#7 HrbekRules

HrbekRules

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Location1991

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

If Kirilloff continues to hit like he is, he needs to be up at the end of next year.  Watching all of these other teams continually promote players at young age makes sense, and the Twins should be following suit with players that show they can.

#8 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

What am I missing on Zach Littell where his stock is rising? Does he still sit 89-91 with his fastball and no plus offspeed pitch? I'd put him behind Gonsalves, Slegers, and Mejia on the priority list of SP to call up.

I'd be willing to bet opposing hitters would evaluate Littell's curveball as a much better pitch than most of the scouting reports/prospect mavens have. Despite not having the flashiest stuff, he's struck out 49 batters in 39 innings and has only give up nine hits in 16 innings for far with Rochester.

Maybe he lacks a true plus pitch, but he may have three or four pitches that are going to be usable. With location, that's going to be tough to contend with.

• TwinsTakes-RD, glunn, birdwatcher and 9 others like this

#9 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

A key variable is where the Twins find themselves in the standings. If they’re in the race, I just don’t see a lot of room on the roster, especially at SP and OF. If, alternatively, they remain under.500, September’s lineup will look like the All Minor League Team.
  • Blackjack, blindeke and DocBauer like this

#10 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

The question is prospects leap frog. Will Wade jump ahead of Cave and Granite at some point. With the Twins sitting on a bunch of pitchers on the 40-man who may/may not see major action this year: Jorge, Curtis, Thorpe, Moya, Busenitz, Littell and others stagnating who won't probably get a chance like Mejia and Slegers, there is a new crop of guys who could possibly see a September callup...if there were 40-man roster spots. The off season will be interesting, to say the least.

If Garver can make Castro expendable...then the Twins will be seeking a lot of fielding people next season. Mauer and Dozier and Escobar are free agents. Grossman doesn't have to return. Ehire is still Ehire. Who knows if Morrison will rech the option.

So, at some point, the Twins need to look at who is on second, who is playing short, what to do with Sano, and is Mauer worth a reinvestmen t at first, or do you fast track Rooker with names like, say, Carter in reserve.

I pity an outfield prospect for the Twins. The three are somewhat firmly established, but at some point they have to sign longterm or the Twins move on. Even then, one doesn't see anyone with regular play coming in before the end of the 2020 season.

The bullpen is showing that the oldtimers were probably a wiser choice than going with the youngsters who might not get a chance in 2018 or ever, and that the Twins did have a bevy of guys who they could actually move away from (Rogers, Duffey, just to name two).

Of course the rotation ahs Santana, Lynn and Gibson...none will return. Pineda is in the wings for next year. May should be a starter (or closer). We have a lot of young arms, but hate to relese them all upon the world at once. Happily the Twins have a couple double-headers for looksee, but sadly Aaron Slegers may be the odd many out, with just his one day in major league limbo being his service time for 2018.The life of a baseball player...always someone pushing you from behind.

But when all was said and done, I would have rather seen Nick Gordon getting plays at shortstop than Petit and Ehire, while Sano was down. It would've been a great opportunity to get the guy some experience, and...well, would he have been worse or better than what was on the field. Polanco will be back, but Dozier and Escobar will be gone. So, start thinking about the play for 2019.

• glunn, Mike Sixel, mikelink45 and 1 other like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,906 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:24 PM

If Kirilloff continues to hit like he is, he needs to be up at the end of next year.  Watching all of these other teams continually promote players at young age makes sense, and the Twins should be following suit with players that show they can.

All these other teams... have a grand total of 2 hitters in the majors at the moment who are younger than Kiriloff, and 1 additional guy a few days older but still in his age-20 season. And none of these players missed a season due to arm surgery. Next year you say, but still, the narrative that the Twins slow-play their prospects is questionable.

• glunn, birdwatcher, 70charger and 5 others like this

Modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#12 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:50 PM

He was first.

Yeah, but can he hit?

• Shane Wahl likes this

#13 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

The question is prospects leap frog. Will Wade jump ahead of Cave and Granite at some point. With the Twins sitting on a bunch of pitchers on the 40-man who may/may not see major action this year: Jorge, Curtis, Thorpe, Moya, Busenitz, Littell and others stagnating who won't probably get a chance like Mejia and Slegers, there is a new crop of guys who could possibly see a September callup...if there were 40-man roster spots. The off season will be interesting, to say the least.

If Garver can make Castro expendable...then the Twins will be seeking a lot of fielding people next season. Mauer and Dozier and Escobar are free agents. Grossman doesn't have to return. Ehire is still Ehire. Who knows if Morrison will rech the option.

So, at some point, the Twins need to look at who is on second, who is playing short, what to do with Sano, and is Mauer worth a reinvestmen t at first, or do you fast track Rooker with names like, say, Carter in reserve.

I pity an outfield prospect for the Twins. The three are somewhat firmly established, but at some point they have to sign longterm or the Twins move on. Even then, one doesn't see anyone with regular play coming in before the end of the 2020 season.

The bullpen is showing that the oldtimers were probably a wiser choice than going with the youngsters who might not get a chance in 2018 or ever, and that the Twins did have a bevy of guys who they could actually move away from (Rogers, Duffey, just to name two).

Of course the rotation ahs Santana, Lynn and Gibson...none will return. Pineda is in the wings for next year. May should be a starter (or closer). We have a lot of young arms, but hate to relese them all upon the world at once. Happily the Twins have a couple double-headers for looksee, but sadly Aaron Slegers may be the odd many out, with just his one day in major league limbo being his service time for 2018.The life of a baseball player...always someone pushing you from behind.

But when all was said and done, I would have rather seen Nick Gordon getting plays at shortstop than Petit and Ehire, while Sano was down. It would've been a great opportunity to get the guy some experience, and...well, would he have been worse or better than what was on the field. Polanco will be back, but Dozier and Escobar will be gone. So, start thinking about the play for 2019.

Your post makes it sound like the twins better win now, this year, because a lot of the vets will be gone and it will be all young players.

#14 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:05 AM

Saying agin I absolutely love this new addition to TD! Great perspective and open debate. High 5's all around.

Gonsalves: He's a pitcher, not a thrower. He's going to be Good! But I expect the usual speed bumps. He will be up this year, but in what capacity I don't know. He's a legitimate SP prospect. And he could be, and I think he will be, a fixture for several years. But you simply can't ignore what Slegers has done. He deserves a shot as well. But Santana and May are getting so very close. Hard to believe, but with Lynn having a couple good starts, and a veteran track record, with Santana and May close, the Twins aren't hurting like they have been in the past for SP. It may take double headers, an injury, trade, or September call up, but we'll see Gonsalves this year.

Littrell: I honestly believe he's a sleeper. But we're talking 2019 due to experience and depth.

Gordon: His shot was when Sano got hurt. But I get it. Glad to see he's up at Rochester now. I think he's really close. I forget, does he have to be added to the 40 man this next off season? I don't believe the FO would keep him down just for that reason. But with so many guys to protect, would it really be stupid to finish 2018 at Rochester and invite him to 2019?

Lewis: This kid has as much talent as Buxton, or anyone who has passed through the system in the last how many years. He should be at high A soon, and probably be at AA to begin 2019. I'm expecting 2020, unless the glove follows the bat potential.

Rooker and Khiriloff: I'm putting them together for a reason. Khiriloff looks even better than reported or expected, especially missing a whole season. AA to begin 2019 with a shot, but probably a fixture 2020. Rooker is heating up. Always laughed at those he'd make a ML appearance this year. Milb pitching is daily facing guys he only saw on Friday night's in college, with an aluminum bat. And while he has been off to a great start start in 2017, and now heating up in 2018, that's an awful lot to expect from a guy playing in college this time a year ago.

Khiriloff 2020 and Rooker sometime in 2019. Khiriloff could be 2021, but I'm willing to be aggressive because I think he's a natural hitter. I put them together because I think they could be the DH/1B/spare corner OF the future.

SD mentioned Thorpe. What a great story he'd make! He has had a ton of bad luck. But the stuff appears to be there. I'm expecting 2020. But it's also easy to see him being the 2019 version of Romero.
  • glunn, mikelink45, Tom Froemming and 1 other like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#15 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

Did you know last year at this time, we were the second youngest team in all of baseball based on weighted playing time? I read it on this very board. Don't worry about all these other teams. If you want to waste the time doing all the research, you'll find out it's not true. Just say no to myths!

• dbminn likes this

I was recently advised by a representative of the board's female caucas, that the term panties in a bundle is not acceptable. Until further notification, please use the term boxer shorts in a bundle. Fact is stranger than fiction.

#16 JLease

JLease

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:28 AM

Anyone care to weigh in on a former top prospect who has fallen off everyone's lists? Where does Kohl Stewart stand?

I bring him up because Lewis Thorpe got mentioned and still shows up on the top prospect lists...and right now he and Stewart seem to be having somewhat similar seasons in AA. Stewart is still only 23. He's struggled with some health issues. The K rate has never been where people hoped, but it's been pretty good this year and he does a heck of a nice job keeping the ball in the park. 

Could he be a guy ripe to return to the prospect list, the slower developer who is finally figuring it out? 

• TwinsTakes-RD, glunn and DocBauer like this

#17 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

Anyone care to weigh in on a former top prospect who has fallen off everyone's lists? Where does Kohl Stewart stand?

I bring him up because Lewis Thorpe got mentioned and still shows up on the top prospect lists...and right now he and Stewart seem to be having somewhat similar seasons in AA. Stewart is still only 23. He's struggled with some health issues. The K rate has never been where people hoped, but it's been pretty good this year and he does a heck of a nice job keeping the ball in the park. 

Could he be a guy ripe to return to the prospect list, the slower developer who is finally figuring it out? 

It's a fair question. 

I hope the answer is "yes." I'd love to see Kohl's arrival in the Big Leagues being something that turns out to be merely delayed, rather than see it not happen at all. 

If he can make it, I suspect we'd see a guy who has developed a bit of a chip on his shoulder after having to work a lot harder and go through a lot more disappointment to get there than anyone might have expected. Would be a great story.

Unfortunately, with the logjam that could be setting up, I could see a possibility where guys like Stewart and Thorpe end up getting their MLB shots with other organizations.

• TwinsTakes-RD, glunn, birdwatcher and 2 others like this

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#18 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

...maybe we have discussed it already and I have missed it, but I wonder how Kohl's stuff would play out of the bullpen? It isn't like he is a slinger, or a max effort guy; would he gain a couple of mph on his FB? Are they worried that his arm will not have the same resiliency as others because of his diabetes?

• glunn likes this

#19 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

The bullpen shuttle will continue, so we'll likely see those type of guys go up and down.Other than Nick Gordon, I have absolutely NO idea when we'll see any of these kids.But MAN it's fun to think about this team's future if a high(ish) percentage of these prospects pan out.

• glunn and Doctor Wu like this

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,577 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

Re: Kirriloff, hitting in A ball is much much different than hitting in the majors.AA is a good test for a hitter.Until Kirriloff hits well in AA, he is still far.

I do not see Gonsalves and/or Littel come up until the rosters expanding and that depending on the Twins' record.May, Santana, Mejia are 3 starters ahead of them, and Duffey, Busenitz, and Curtiss are 3 arms ahead of them.

I do not see the Twins spending an option year on Nick Gordon, unless a starter like Dozier or Escobar gets injured or traded before Polanco returns. 

Rooker is not hitting that great at AA, so there is no reason for him to lose an option.

The 3 minor leaguers who I see potentially coming up are:

Willians Astudillo, Zander Wiel, and/or Jimmy Kerrigan

The Twins need a better catcher than Wilson and Astudillo might be it at this point. 

They also need a RH OF/1B and Wiel has been very consistent in AA, whereas Kerrigan (who is not a 1B) has been very good in high A and tearing the cover off the ball in 4 games with Rochester.However, the Chris Carter signing might delay those two.

In short, I just do not see any more of the top prospects up this season, unless major things happen.

• glunn and DocBauer like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98