Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/22): Gordon Promoted, Diaz Walks It Off

sean poppen nick gordon trevor may miguel sano jaylin davis
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 caninatl04

caninatl04

Wichita Wind Surge

• 737 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

Every time a player is promoted, there are roster considerations for two teams.Somewhere upstream there has to be a corresponding reduction, which in some cases, represents the closing of the door on that player's dream.I'm always glad to see when these promotions are handled in a thoughtful and patient manner, even though that sometimes results in players 'immediately', or even 'soon' after appearing ready.

Downstream there has to be a supply of players to take the place of the promoted player.Usually, after the amateur draft, that re-supply will result in several promotions being made.

So, for whom will their proverbial doors close?

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,187 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

I think it's good to get these guys out into the world for awhile. Back at Fort Myers, where the team's complex is, I feel like they're in a lot more of a controlled environment.

In Cedar Rapids, I believe most of the guys are staying with host families, and of course they're riding buses all across the Midwest. So I guess even if there's was nothing they had left to prove on the field, maybe it's good for them to be gaining these life experiences.

I dunno, maybe that stuff doesn't matter. I suppose it depends on the player.

So if I'm reading between the lines correctly, you think they should go straight to Chattanooga. 

:)

#23 MangLitch

MangLitch

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 106 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

Lewis is still 18 years old for a couple of weeks. He's fine in CR for another month or so (and it's not as if he's lighting the world on fire offensively).

And Kirilloff has a lot of rust to shake off after being out for a full season. I expect he'll see a promotion soon as well. Both guys only have ~40 games played at Cedar Rapids.

Understandable, I just can't get my around around any metric of why these guys should hang out at a level for a set period. 

Krilloff missed a season, I get it. But he is mashing and I would argue that he is really not being challenged at CR anymore.

Lewis isn't crushing it, anymore, but he has proven that he can and will. 

My point is, i guess, when do we stop treating these kids with "kid gloves" and stop worrying about if there confidence will tank if they fail at a level. I think their mental make-up is strong enough that we should have faith in moving them until they struggle. I think they are good enough kids that they will benefit more from the struggle than sitting at a level that isn't really pushing them.

Further, the big league club will need both of them very soon as shortstop and impact bats have been missing so far this year (Escobar is being bucketed in 3B) (Not that they will see action this year). 

The movement so far with the Albies, Soto's, ETC by successful clubs has shown that it may not be a terrible idea, if the kids have the right makeup, to push these kids along until they fail.... and hey, they might not. Or they might, but it shouldn't shake them, or at least I dont see it shaking Lewis or Krilloff as they both seem like high character and heady kids. 

My two cents

Edited by MangLitch, 24 May 2018 - 01:03 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sean poppen, nick gordon, trevor may, miguel sano, jaylin davis