Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: End of the Road for Phil Hughes and the Twins

phil hughes
  • Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

......Hope that someone dos take a flyer on Mr. Hughes and lets him work yo see if he can comeback. It won't cost them anymore than the major league minimum for this sesson and next...so expect there to be some lucky team out there with a spare roster slot.

I really can't see any team starting Hughes, if he doesn't just retire, in the show. That would be somewhat foolish of them, but I guess it could happen. I suspect wherever and if ever he lands, it will be to start in AAA and give the confidence to the signing team he is able to perform. He could actually do that here, too, perhaps, if offered, which isn't really known that will happen. It might really be up to him at this point. He might really have his best shot at staying in the show right here, and getting it back together at Rochester. But I really hope that doesn't happen.

Or, he could take a break, take a rest and longer to prepare, and then have a showcase toward the last half/third of the year, and see if he can be a force, or even just a replacement level option for some needy team.

#102 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:35 PM

I'll swallow my pride for a lot less than $5,000,000...but then I'm not Lance Lynn.

I am trying to think what I wouldn't swallow for $5M.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33 and TheLeviathan like this

#103 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

...... One thing we can't say about Hughes is that he didn't do his best to help the team win. It can't be easy going out there knowing that you're not as good as you used to be but to his credit I don't remember one report or even a rumor that he was not putting in 100% or that he was a bad teammate. He was going out there every time and busting his butt for his team even if the results just weren't what you would want them to be. I wish Phil the best of luck with whatever he does in the future both in baseball and just life in general.

Or..... "his team" could actually be for his own satisfaction and self expectations, and not wanting to give up. And that deserves just as much respect. Do you think it would have mattered what team, or any team that he was under contract for? I would think it was just as much a hope that he could make it back, and to prove it to himself, or fail trying. I wonder if, just because you try your best, that the motive is to help your team, and not to prove to oneself that you tried your best, even if it wasn't helping your team, and you knew it. There comes a time that, if one has team first, that the best help for that team is to not take the mound, to walk away. That is not as romantic a thought, but it might be more truthful. It is hard to face the end. Probably the toughest thing every player has to face.

#104 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

Seems not unlikely that the Twins were no longer able to recoup any of his salary via insurance.

Per the reference, not sure validity but it’s written wel... Policies generally have 3 year periods, not necessarily the whole contract. If this is the case, if an insurance policy was taken out on Hughes’ contract, it would have come due by now. After two TOS surgeries no way is any insurer covering him further.

https://metsmerizedo...contracts.html/

Hughes missed the first half of 2011 with shoulder issues, so it's not even clear they would have been able to get a policy to cover that in the first place. I suspect it would have been reported over the past few years if it was applicable (I remember media reports when Joe Nathan's contract insurance kicked in, as well as Ricky Nolasco's).
  • USAFChief and Sconnie like this

#105 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:46 PM

I really can't see any team starting Hughes, if he doesn't just retire, in the show. That would be somewhat foolish of them, but I guess it could happen. I suspect wherever and if ever he lands, it will be to start in AAA and give the confidence to the signing team he is able to perform. He could actually do that here, too, perhaps, if offered, which isn't really known that will happen. It might really be up to him at this point. He might really have his best shot at staying in the show right here, and getting it back together at Rochester. But I really hope that doesn't happen.

Or, he could take a break, take a rest and longer to prepare, and then have a showcase toward the last half/third of the year, and see if he can be a force, or even just a replacement level option for some needy team.

I actually think a tanking team probably will start him in the majors.
At the league minimum, on a tanking team, it's a no-lose situation.
If he's bad, it helps them get a higher draft pick. If he's good, they can flip him at the deadline.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 22 May 2018 - 06:46 PM.

#106 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:44 AM

And I think when you post on a board and you mischaracterize someone's stance that badly and create that big of a strawman argument,

Talk about misinterpreting someone. So since we find ourselves at an impasse, I will finish this and say to you, Good Day Sir. I wish you well.

#107 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,895 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

Not taking it personally. And I think when you post on a board and you mischaracterize someone's stance that badly and create that big of a strawman argument, others might jump in. Because we know Mike and we know that he's not the kind of guy who wouldn't pee on Hughes to put out the fire. Probably.

Talk about misinterpreting someone. So since we find ourselves at an impasse, I will finish this and say to you, Good Day Sir. I wish you well.

From a site moderation standpoint, it would be well for this round of bickering to end here.

• Carole Keller and snepp like this

Modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#108 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,479 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

https://www.fangraph...utlet-injuries/

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#109 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,054 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

https://www.fangraph...utlet-injuries/

Good read thanks for sharing. It's probably best just to avoid players with this injury until there's a better success rate like TJS these days...

The general consensus is there's a drop in performance post surgery. And no rhyme or reason why a select few bounce back like Jaime Garcia.

Overall it sounds like an unnecessary headache and disappointment.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phil hughes