Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Week in Review: Crisis of Leadership

brian dozier byron buxton miguel sano logan morrison
  • Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,233 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

I hope you don't mind that I tried to explain where I am coming from and why I think concern for Buxton is warranted.HE has explicitly stated that he is "pressing" "shy" "jumpy" "nervous" "overthinking"

THat kind of mindset and inner turmoil effects mechanics.Mechanics are tough to execute as it is.If you are stepping into the box in a panicked state your mechanics will not be as they should be.Rhythm, timing, focus, body awareness....all of those things are messed up if you step in the box all choked up.

And not a single one of those things implies he doesn't "like" hitting.Which is what Thrylos said.

All you restated is that Byron struggles more with his offense and it comes less naturally.That isn't the same thing as not "liking" or "liking to work at it".(The latter being the real problem, taking someone's preference and turning it into a question of work ethic) You should go back and read the original quote.You don't even seem to agree with what you're defending.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 22 May 2018 - 04:32 PM.

• wsnydes likes this

#102 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

And not a single one of those things implies he doesn't "like" hitting.Which is what Thrylos said.

All you restated is that Byron struggles more with his offense and it comes less naturally.That isn't the same thing as not "liking" or "liking to work at it".(The latter being the real problem, taking someone's preference and turning it into a question of work ethic) You should go back and read the original quote.You don't even seem to agree with what you're defending.

I read his quote a few times.It actually made me think a little deeper.

In the video where Hunter interviews him he is asked the same question.He was not under duress and he probably knew the question was coming.He also mentioned that famous Jim Edmonds catch and how he really wants to make catches like that.In the interviews I have seen with Hunter and MLB programs he talks only about defense.The only time he mentions offense is when he talks about not taking slumps onto the field.

This is all really nice, but two things about that:

1.He could end up to be Aaron Rowand 2.0, beat up before his time

2.He needs to embrace the language of hitting and start talking about it a little more.It sure as heck couldn't hurt him.

Thrylos has his take.I have mine.You have yours.

And the world is good.

#103 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:14 AM

Carson Smith, Red Sox reliever, is on the fence about whether he will have to have surgery on his right (pitching) shoulder after suffering a subluxation last week, and seeking a second opinion. Missing the 2016 season, and part of the 2017 with TJ recovery, he suffered the disaster after angrily tossing his glove, showing his emotion over a poor outing.

Some like to see grown men, who, whether they like it or not, are examples for our children and grandchildren, behave like kids having a temper tantrum. We witnessed, when he was pulled, the same behavior from Lance Lynn a couple days ago after 6.2 innings of shutout ball, and it is presented as a video clip in Tom Froemming's always appreciated recap article:

http://twinsdaily.co...ll-to-win-r6788

Lynn, like Chapman, also missed the 2016 season recovering from TJ. Some see this type of behavior as emotion and passion, passion that can spark a team. Maybe that is true.

Personally, I see it as ridiculous, childish, and unimpressive. A player and a leader can show emotion and passion in so many more advantageous, positive, and more beneficial ways. Over the years, so many players have injured themselves punching walls and coolers, and other needless and unimpressive behavior. In this case, it wasn't even a poor outing for Lynn, it was a great start, a great day, for him and the team! He did the same thing as Chapman. Sure, Chapman's was a freak injury, and it could never happen again, or even to Chapman, except it did and could. Thousands have done the same thing, and no problem, including Lynn during this game. In fact, it is somewhat of a common occurrence. Lynn could have just as well come in the dugout looking for high fives and being exuberant, and he would have been bathed in team spirit and congratulated by the whole team, and created a passionate happy dugout, and fired everyone up with his passion, and even though he has been slow to help his new team, shown some leadership. Instead, he had to mope alone on the bench, and get no love from the rest of the team that basically ignored him then, and let him sit alone in all that misdirected emotion and passion.

I am impressed by the player who, even when they are upset, or slumping, or having a bad outing, still find a way to take a breath and then be a vocal cheerleader and express positive unselfish emotion. And it really isn't about them being an example, it is just that temper tantrums is passion misdirected, and not something that can help anything. Hitting walls, smashing coolers with baseball bats, throwing gloves........ coming out of the dugouts and fighting to have a teammates metaphorical back after he purposely threw a ball at a batter on pupose....... I am not impressed. 

But I was impressed with Lynn's day on the mound..... finally.... and I hope the players notice what happened to Carson Chapman, and that it makes them think hard about doing something that has no reward, and could freakishly take them off the field and away from the game and team, and not let them do what they are so lucky to be doing, and getting paid millions to do it. The leadership and passion and emotion for this team is open for the younger stars to step into, and I hope they gel and really start showing it, and have fun winning 90 plus games. The more positive future leaders becoming leaders now and expressing themselves, the better. This division is open for a leader, and it may as well be the Twins.

Edited by h2oface, 24 May 2018 - 03:35 AM.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#104 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:00 AM

I read his quote a few times.It actually made me think a little deeper.

In the video where Hunter interviews him he is asked the same question.He was not under duress and he probably knew the question was coming.He also mentioned that famous Jim Edmonds catch and how he really wants to make catches like that.In the interviews I have seen with Hunter and MLB programs he talks only about defense.The only time he mentions offense is when he talks about not taking slumps onto the field.

This is all really nice, but two things about that:

1.He could end up to be Aaron Rowand 2.0, beat up before his time

2.He needs to embrace the language of hitting and start talking about it a little more.It sure as heck couldn't hurt him.

Thrylos has his take.I have mine.You have yours.

And the world is good.

Honest question since I haven't watched or read all of the interviews with Buxton; does anyone actually ask him about hitting?If the interviewer is focusing on his glove, why would Buxton talk about hitting?That would be off topic.Clearly he's a premier glove and that is definitely something to discuss.His ability in the field is something fewer players possess.If the only question that hints at hitting is what he likes better, I'm not sure why he'd talk about hitting at all.I don't know how a conclusion of any relevance could be derived from that.

It is likely true that if he were hitting he'd be asked about it more.I don't know how much he was asked about it during the second half of last season when he was on fire.  

• kellyvance likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#105 kellyvance

kellyvance

Cedar Rapids

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

Citing 3-for-37 says all we need to hear about the need to start hitting.

Pretty sure the context of Nick's point was that those guys need to start leading the offense, which is pretty much irrefutable.

Yeah, ok, I hear ya. We don't NEED Dozier and Buck to lead the offense. The Eddies are doing that and Kep was hot there, and LoMo is getting better. I think it is simplistic to say it all has to start with two guys. The season is long enough for several hot streaks and several cold spells. And that goes for everyone. It is a TEAM sport.

Edited by Carole Keller, 04 June 2018 - 03:12 PM.
Knock it off

#106 kellyvance

kellyvance

Cedar Rapids

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

Well, part of leadership is producing on the field and coming through for your team.There are off the field elements also, but if you're one of the players the team is relying on....you sorta need to be reliable at the plate.

Right now Dozier is going on one of his famines and the team needs him to feast.Part of being a leader is stepping up to fill what the club needs from you.It's a perfectly fair criticism.

No, it is not. Hitting does not define leadership. That ball is coming at you in the 90s and moving. You hit it or you don't. Hitting is about athleticism, timing and power.  Leadership indicts character, guts, desire, attitude... all of that. It is a character trait. In fact, leadership is ALLLLL about character. It confuses things to say that getting hot makes you a leader. It doesn't. It gets you on base and produces. And leading the occasional rally is not really it.  Leadership is more, much more.  And Dozier is this team's leader. Period. It was a cheap shot and remains so, despite Nick's delayed attempt at excusifying and ewen's opportunistic piling on

#107 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,354 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

No, it is not. Hitting does not define leadership. That ball is coming at you in the 90s and moving. You hit it or you don't. Hitting is about athleticism, timing and power.  Leadership indicts character, guts, desire, attitude... all of that. It is a character trait. In fact, leadership is ALLLLL about character. It confuses things to say that getting hot makes you a leader. It doesn't. It gets you on base and produces. And leading the occasional rally is not really it.  Leadership is more, much more.  And Dozier is this team's leader. Period. It was a cheap shot and remains so, despite Nick's delayed attempt at excusifying and ewen's opportunistic piling on

Everyone has explained to you what Nick meant by leadership in the context of this article. Move on.
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, byron buxton, miguel sano, logan morrison