Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: BREAKING NEWS: Jason Castro Out for the Year

jason castro mitch garver bobby wilson
  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

Realmuto gets my vote. If they want to be a serious contender get serious. Garver is a backup at this point his D is backup level and Wilson is a 3rd stringer, imo.

Heck trade Sano for him, he can't stay on the field anyway. Doesn't do any good on ir all the time.

• LA VIkes Fan and Platoon like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#22 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

Two thoughts:

1.) That's got to be crazy to have to tell a pro athlete that they're done for the year AFTER you do surgery. They're knocked out and you don't have time to chat with them when you make the discovery. It's just bad news to break as they wake up.

For any procedure to happen there has to be a signedinformed consent, Casto signed off on all of the procedures that could be done. May your good fortune of not personally knowing what consent is continue.

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

Maybe Grossman will be the new Duensing in trade talks for a catcher.Like Sussac for Grossman.Swihart for Grossman, Duke and a prospect.Realmuto for Gordon Gosalves, Granite, Grzelowski and Grossman ( and any otherprospect over 19 with the last name that starts with G other than Gratero)l.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

Relax. Garver and Wilson will work.Do we have anyone else in the minors that knows how put on the mask?Everytime something happens we look at trades and moving minor leaguers.Let's go forward and see what happens. 

• DocBauer, RaymondLuxuryYacht and twinssporto like this

#25 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

So.....What's John Ryan Murphy up to these days?  I say we trade Kohl Stewart for him. Then he will of cost the Twin's 2 first round picks to be an occasional back up catcher.

• USAFChief, h2oface and Vanimal46 like this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,003 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Relax. Garver and Wilson will work. Do we have anyone else in the minors that knows how put on the mask? Everytime something happens we look at trades and moving minor leaguers. Let's go forward and see what happens.

Some of us were calling for Realmuto before the season started.... This isn't just reactionary
  • Tomj14 likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#27 Wookiee of the Year

Wookiee of the Year

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

I'm high enough on Garver to think he's worthy of a starting role. Would make a point of upgrading on Bobby Wilson, though.

How about reaching out to the Cubs to see what it would take to acquire Chris Gimenez? He's languishing in AAA with June 1 opt-out date; I'd have to think we could get him for almost free. Not a high-powered move, and yeah, it's righty-righty with Garver, but it would stabilize the back-up catcher spot cheaply.

• DocBauer, gocgo, curt1965 and 2 others like this

#28 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,841 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

I know they are called wild pitches for a reason. But your catcher is supposed to turn them into just a lousy pitch. I wonder how many wild pitches have advanced runners into scoring position with Garver behind the plate. He can throw a little, and hit a little. But his glove work and blocking skills are absolutely brutal!
  • USAFChief and wsnydes like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#29 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

What about Grandal from the Dodgers? He has a 1 year $7m deal. Maybe give them littel and another throw in?

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,505 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

What about Grandal from the Dodgers? He has a 1 year $7m deal. Maybe give them littel and another throw in?

Why would the Dodgers trade Grandal? And what am I missing about Littell where he's an attractive trade piece?

#31 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

Why would the Dodgers trade Grandal? And what am I missing about Littell where he's an attractive trade piece?

Because he’s an average player making $8M and they’re 8 games out already. They have a top prospect at catcher coming up but admirably probably still a year away. They need a lefty so maybe give them Thorpe and Littell. That’s fair for Grandal. He would give us solid depth for a rent a player

Edited by AZTwin, 16 May 2018 - 06:42 PM.

#32 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,403 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:11 PM

Wilson Ramos needs to come home!

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#33 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Can we trade Lance Lynn for a catcher?

Would you really wanta catcher equal in value to Lynn on the team?

• Danchat, curt1965 and Shaitan like this

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

Because he’s an average player making $8M and they’re 8 games out already. They have a top prospect at catcher coming up but admirably probably still a year away. They need a lefty so maybe give them Thorpe and Littell. That’s fair for Grandal. He would give us solid depth for a rent a player

Grandal isn't an average player.
He's on pace for 4+ WAR this year, and had 5.1 WAR over the last 2 years. Average for an MLB starter is 2 WAR, not for all players, just for starting players.
  • USAFChief likes this

#35 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:38 PM

Grandal isn't an average player.
He's on pace for 4+ WAR this year, and had 5.1 WAR over the last 2 years. Average for an MLB starter is 2 WAR, not for all players, just for starting players.

He has a career .242 Batting average and an OPS under .800.  There's a reason why the Dodgers only gave him a 1 year deal. At the end of the year, he walks. They will want something for him.  Littell and Thorpe are good prospects.  It's not like it's giving up chop liver.  Gonsalves is probably a little steep for him as a rental, but I would think about it 1 for 1

#36 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

Some of us were calling for Realmuto before the season started.... This isn't just reactionary

To advocate it has to include willingness to trade the high upside prospect the Marlins are seeking. The Twins have two of those guys in Lewis and Romero though Graterol may get there by midseason. I think most of us would trade a package of lower ceiling guys like Gordon and Gonsalves. To me, that isn’t calling for a Realmuto trade.

Should the Twins have been willing to part with Lewis or Romero? Some team will be willing to trade a prospect with that upside.

#37 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:00 PM

Overall, I like Castro. For a catcher, OK offensively, good over all defensive skills, and experienced. He's not a star. But how many catchers truly are? It's about game calling and defense first and foremost. I feel he was a nice addition last season and was part of a team that turned things around. I hope he comes back strong and healthy next season.

Sort of ironic that the young Garver is suddenly a lightning rod of discussion similar to Mauer, a former Twins catcher.

I like Garver's bat a lot. He's shown proven production in the minors. He has a short, quick swing that produces real pop. His arm seems more than strong enough, and had nice CS numbers in the minors. I like that he has caught a few of the best pitching performances we've seen this season. I like that the limited time I've seen him he's blocked quite a few pitches in the dirt.

What I don't like is his overall inexperience, and some WP and passed balls you'd expect a better/more experienced catcher to handle.

But there is potential there. Do we really run out and make a major trade of 2-3 quality prospects at this point without at least giving him a couple weeks to show his stuff? I know that's debatable, but I say no. Wilson is, by reputation, a good defensive catcher with a light bat, but his defense is why he's still around. Butera comparisons anyone?

I think a move of some sort has to be made. A trade for Giminez wouldn't be the worst option. There is virtually zero depth now. But I would Garver at least a few more weeks of steady play to see how he looks. THEN, I'd decide if I need depth or a major move.
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#38 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

1-For all the “let’s call up the young pitchers and give them a chance” clamoring that goes on on TD, it seems an over-reach to declare Garver a flop at 105 at bats.

2-If Gimenez indeed has an opt-out on June 1, why trade anything for him on May 16?
  • DocBauer, gocgo, joemama and 1 other like this

#39 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

Don't trade for a Catcher... The Price will be too high and the return will be underwhelming because you will be paying for position scarcity. The typical catcher typically produces low batting stats so don't over pay for it with a guy who could potentially produce real numbers that could help a team. Like Aaron Hicks for Murphy, let's not make that mistake again. 

Keep working with Garver defensively behind the plate and enjoy the bonus of what I assume will be better offensive numbers. 

It's Garver's turn. 

• IndianaTwin, twinssporto and Original Whizzinator like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#40 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

Wilson Ramos needs to come home!

Can we send them Matt Capps in exchange?

• gocgo and Original Whizzinator like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jason castro, mitch garver, bobby wilson