Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: BREAKING NEWS: Jason Castro Out for the Year

jason castro mitch garver bobby wilson
  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Writers
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:16 AM

Jason Castro was only supposed to miss 4-6 weeks following knee surgery. That won’t be the case. Castro is done for the year following surgery on his meniscus. In the midst of his surgery this morning, surgeons found more damage than expected. This forced doctors to complete a full meniscus repair.
This is a tough blow for a Twins team fighting for the top spot in the AL Central standings. Other players like Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano have already missed time this season. It’s taken longer than expected for Ervin Santana to return from injury. Also, the club has been without Jorge Polanco due to his suspension. That’s a lot of regular players not in the line-up.

That being said, it’s not like the Twins are without a viable catching option. Mitch Garver has performed well so far this season and he will need to continue to make the most of this opportunity. Bobby Wilson played an important role in Tuesday’s victory over the Cardinals. Both players are going to need to take on even more vital roles moving forward.

Now the question remains as to what the Twins front office should do moving forward. Does the club need to bring in another catcher to back up Garver? Can they find another option to stash at Triple-A? Can Garver and Wilson carry the team’s catching needs?

Feel free to add your thoughts to any of those questions and more in the COMMENTS section.

Click here to view the article

Cody Christie
@nodaktwinsfan

#2 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

Two thoughts:

1.) That's got to be crazy to have to tell a pro athlete that they're done for the year AFTER you do surgery. They're knocked out and you don't have time to chat with them when you make the discovery. It's just bad news to break as they wake up.

2.) Gotta upgrade Bobby Wilson somehow. I don't want Realmuto because it'll be too expensive but Lucroy at the deadline wouldn't be the worst idea. Depends on the cost.

• dgwills, SF Twins Fan and wsnydes like this

#3 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

Unfortunate news.

Hoping Castro has a full recovery.

#4 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:27 AM

Hmmm ... Interesting that this news breaks the same day that Swihart is asking for a trade .... Not sure if he would move the needle and what he would cost, but it might be worth a phone call.

• Danchat, woolywoolhouse and caninatl04 like this

#5 Greg Logan

Greg Logan

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC
  • Twitter: glp_vt

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:27 AM

It would be nice to find another left handed to complement Garver but pickins will be slim.

Yasmani Grandal was rumored to be trade bait this offseason after Barnes got so much postseason playing time, but he’s been behind the plate more often than Barnes so far. Tucker Barnhart might be available?

#6 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:30 AM

Well that sucks. 

J.T. Realmuto would be one hell of an addition and would help the offense. But he'd be expensive. Not even the Marlins would give him away. 

• bighat likes this

#7 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

Does Seattle have any catching depth? They might be in the market for a 2nd base....

• caninatl04 likes this

#8 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Well that sucks. 

J.T. Realmuto would be one hell of an addition and would help the offense. But he'd be expensive. Not even the Marlins would give him away. 

Gordon, Wade, Thorpe and Stewart ... Good package for a rebuilding club .... Gotta give to get

#9 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

Gordon, Wade, Thorpe and Stewart ... Good package for a rebuilding club .... Gotta give to get

Would not get it done. It will take at least two top prospects (think Gordon and Gonsalves) plus mid-range guys.

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,796 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

Go get Realmuto. No half steps. 

I don't think Garver is a regular MLB catcher.

• Mike Sixel, Winston Smith and Platoon like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#11 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

Give me garver. He can hit. Go trade for depth and roll with garver + whoever is hot.

Career Game Thread Record: 2-1

#12 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:00 AM

This is definitely a bummer for Castro, but it may be best for the long-term health of his knee. 

For anyone who is interested, I wrote a blog post about meniscus injuries that some may find informative/helpful.

http://twinsdaily.co...nee-surgery-qa/

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 6 others like this

#13 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

This is a repeat of a post I put in a different thread. Swihart would come in as the backup instead of Bobby Wilson.I kind of like Wilson behind the plate but he can't hit water if he falls out of a boat (a slight exaggeration, but only slight) so the question is whether Swihart can play defense and hit at least a little bit. His track record suggests no on both so I would pass unless there's a way we can put Swihart in AAA. I doubt if there is so to me he's a pass. 

The obvious choice is Realmuto but the prospect cost will be heavy, its way too early to make Garver a backup (the likely result if Realmuto is acquired), and the DH spot is already overcrowded so we can't work both him and Garver in the lineup.I would prefer to get a backup n better tha Wilson if available at a reasonable cost, otherwise preserve assets for now and roll with Garver and Wilson until July to see if anyone like LuCroy becomes available as a rental. 

• Bill Brown69, Original Whizzinator and HrbekRules like this

#14 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Two thoughts:

1.) That's got to be crazy to have to tell a pro athlete that they're done for the year AFTER you do surgery. They're knocked out and you don't have time to chat with them when you make the discovery. It's just bad news to break as they wake up.

I doubt they put him under for surgery below the waist. They usually just put up a screen during any surgery. Based on the Press article, I got the impression they asked him about it as it happened.

#15 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

I doubt they put him under for surgery below the waist. They usually just put up a screen during any surgery. Based on the Press article, I got the impression they asked him about it as it happened.

I have to disagree with this. I suspect they used general anesthesia rather than some sort of block. 

They most definitely discussed the possibility of worse damage than was seen, and the need for complete repair and the timeline for that. 

In fact, they would need to talk to him about this possibility before hand to get consent for the full repair rather than what was planned. 

And after he woke up, they told him "unfortunately it was worse than we thought..."

• Heezy1323 likes this

#16 spsdrock

spsdrock

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

What about making a trade for Andrew Susac from the orioles?Orioles have zero room for him and could be a great addition. We would not have to pay much for him.He does not have alot of MLB experence.But not sure that is really important. I wanted the twins to go after him when Brewers let him go this year. 

• caninatl04 likes this

#17 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

Don't need anyone today, or tomorrow.Expect they will upgrade their depth at some point over the next couple months. 

• DocBauer likes this

#18 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:13 PM

AJ!

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel and Original Whizzinator like this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#19 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

The Twins would most likely let it play out as-is for awhile. The Castro 40 man roster spot will most likely be saved for the return of one of the injured pitchers. Acquiring another catcher to take Castro's spot now would most likely mean Wilson gets DFA'd when either May or Santana returns. You might as well evaluate Wilson for another month before replacing him if needed. Garver is handling himself OK right now, so there is no need to panic.

• DocBauer and caninatl04 like this

#20 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

Can we trade Lance Lynn for a catcher?
  • slash129 and twinssouth like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jason castro, mitch garver, bobby wilson