Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins v Cardinals, 5/16 @ 12:10 Central

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

The Twins have owned the Cardinal's 3-0 so far in the season, and look to make it a 4-0 sweep of the Red birds during today's matinee. My first two game threads of the year did not look so good with the weather, as one was snowed out, and another was delayed. Hopefully we have better luck today.

GAME TIME WEATHER: 82 Degrees Fahrenheit, 0% chance of rain, winds WSW at 11 MPH.

PITCHING MATCHUP: Lance Lynn (1-3, 7.34 ERA) vs Miles Mikolas (5-0, 2.51 ERA)

TWINS' LINEUP:

1. Joe Mauer (L) DH

2. Brian Dozier ® 2B
3. Eddie Rosario (L) LF
4. Max Kepler (L) RF
5. Mitch Garver ® C
6. Logan Morrison (L) 1B
7. Byron Buxton ® CF
8. Ehire Adrianza (S) SS
9. Gregorio Petit ® 3B

CARDINALS' LINEUP:

1. Tommy Pham ® CF
2. Jose Martinez ® DH
3. Paul DeJong ® SS
4. Marcell Ozuna ® LF
5. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
6. Jedd Gyorko ® 3B
7. Matt Carpenter (L) 1B
8. Francisco Pena ® C
9. Greg Garcia (L) 2B

-------------------------------------------------------

Mill's Milling Moments:

1. What in the world is Molitor doing:

If you look at the lineups you will notice that Mauer is once again playing DH, which means he is not playing in the field. This makes absolutely zero sense, as Mauer is the best defender after Buxton on the team, in my opinion. Why in the world are we giving Mauer a day off from the field after LoMo cost us the game two nights ago, and we have in off day tomorrow. On top of that, Mauer was DH just two days ago. He could not possibly need rest again. If Mauer is asking for the days off, Molitor needs to say no. If LoMo is asking to play 1st, Molly needs to say no. This stems from the same issue as Dozier batting leadoff. 

2. The return of Lynn

Lance Lynn has the opportunity to square off with his old dance partner in Target field today, and I am predicting a good performance from Lynn. Lynn has struggled with command early in the season, but the weather has finally started to heat up (we can still use that excuse, right), and he is going up against familiar faces. The Red Birds have 6 RHB in the lineup, and Lynn limits RHH to an OPS of .634 in his career (.861 this season), while lefties have an OPS of 791 in his carrer, and 1057. this season. 

3. Adrianza

Adrianza should have been gone long ago in my mind, but now I think that has been proven even farther. Yes, he is a fine player in a utility role where he does not have to start 4 or 5 times a week, but under the current situation he provides no value. His glove is fine, but his throws are wild. He had a hot streak at the plate last year, but is nowhere near that kind of hitter. And his baserunning has cost us a game already, and he was picked off in last nights matchup. Get Nick Gordon up here while Sano is out, lets see how he performs, and then make a decision.

Go Twins. 

• USAFChief, Blake, Jerr and 4 others like this

Career Game Thread Record: 2-1

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,470 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

Nice job, 'daddy.

• Blake likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#3 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,470 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

14th game not starting at 1st base for Mauer, if my count is accurate. He pinch hit late and came in to play 1st late in a couple of those, I believe. This is game 39 for the Twins.

Roughly every 3rd game. 

• Mike Sixel and Danchat like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#4 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

I don't get the deal with Mauer either.Roy Smalley thinks Morrison is a whiz defensively.I disagree, get Mauer on the field.We'd better see a better Lynn today. 

• Jerr and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

he gone!

#5 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,719 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

There is really something screwy going on with the Molitor/Mauer/Morrison issue. But it boils down to really one person. Molitor. He either can't see the difference between the defense of the two players. Or one of the players is pushing him to play, or sit? Which means he is no longer in charge of this team. Also, count me as someone who doesn't think Dozier is an actual cleanup hitter. But I don't think he is a 3-4 guy at all. The problem is he gets the most FB in the leadoff spot. I don't think spotting him in the order is an easy decision.
  • Carole Keller and Jerr like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#6 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,940 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

Yup, never have been a fan of Molitor and he continues to give my non-fandom lots of support with these lineups.
  • Blake, Jerr, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#7 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

THIS, as it makes NO SENSE:

1. What in the world is Molitor doing:

If you look at the lineups you will notice that Mauer is once again playing DH, which means he is not playing in the field. This makes absolutely zero sense, as Mauer is the best defender after Buxton on the team, in my opinion. Why in the world are we giving Mauer a day off from the field after LoMo cost us the game two nights ago, and we have in off day tomorrow. On top of that, Mauer was DH just two days ago. He could not possibly need rest again. If Mauer is asking for the days off, Molitor needs to say no. If LoMo is asking to play 1st, Molly needs to say no. This stems from the same issue as Dozier batting leadoff.

• wsnydes likes this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#8 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:50 AM

Only reason to see LoMo on the field over Mauer, is to get LoMo in better shape. Still makes no sense to me!!!

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#9 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

Adrianza didn't cost the Twins a game with his baserunning. With one out he has to slow up to make sure the ball isn't caught, particularly with Mike Trout in center. He made a nice slide to the plate. The Angels just executed two perfect throws after getting a great bounce off the wall. Tough luck.

Adrianza is a way better defensive shortstop than Gordon. I still am okay with Gordon getting a chance but Adrianza has value.

• TFRazor likes this

#10 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

Only reason to see LoMo on the field over Mauer, is to get LoMo in better shape. Still makes no sense to me!!!

You're ensuring a better rested Joe all year.

Other than that throw, LoMo has looked good at first. Nice scoops, good range.

#11 TFRazor

TFRazor

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Maybe Morrison is the type who needs more reps on the field to be better locked in at the plate? Where Joe could literally sit for an entire season and come back swinging an above 300 bat. As long as we win, I won't quibble overly with the lineups. Obviously if we lose I maintain the right to complain about it retroactively:)

• Jerr likes this

#12 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

who

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

Underway is the game.

#13 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• Members
  • 8,594 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:16 AM

I think eating lunch before watching Lynn pitch is going to be a regrettable decision
  • Jerr, Platoon and twinssporto like this

#14 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

Not a good start ...

George Carlin

#15 TFRazor

TFRazor

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

Cue ominous music

#16 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• Members
  • 8,594 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

The battery of Lynn and garver is just not gonna cut it

#17 TFRazor

TFRazor

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

The battery of Lynn and garver is just not gonna cut it

They may want to see if Wilson can catch him better assuming they're keeping bobby around for awhile. Maybe Lynn needs more of a veteran backstop

#18 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

I'm not convinced Mauer DH'ing again is Molitor's doing. Does Joe need more rest from playing 1B or something?

I am less interested in re-signing Mauer if he's spending at least 33% of his games hitting at DH. The less defense at 1B we get from him, the less I want him back.

• USAFChief, Jerr, Cap'n Piranha and 2 others like this

#19 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• Members
  • 8,594 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

They may want to see if Wilson can catch him better assuming they're keeping bobby around for awhile. Maybe Lynn needs more of a veteran backstop

I just meant that his propensity for wildness doesn’t play well with garvers below average defense

#20 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• Members
  • 8,594 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

I’m about done with the LL experience
  • Jerr and Danchat like this