Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Castro out for Season

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

I don't know, I think people are putting more expectations on today's catchers than they probably deserve. Sure, Realmuto is a good catcher and a clear upgrade, but he's one of about a half dozen catchers league-wide you could say that about. If you don't have or can't get one of them, I'm not going to stress out over the position.

I mean aside from the Yankees, the other AL playoff contenders are rolling with likes of Martin Maldonado, Yan Gomes, Brian McCann, Christian Vazquez, Russell Martin, Mike Zunino and Jon Lucroy. Unless the year is 2014, I don't see anyone there that's significantly better than replacement level. It's just a black hole of a position these days, most of the time the best hitters are moved from catcher long before they reach the majors.

Having an injured catcher these days evokes sympathy from me for the injured player, but an "Eh" in terms of impacting the team.

#42 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

It's an MCL (meniscus) tear. It takes a shorter amount of time to recover from this kind.

MCL refers to the medial collateral ligament, not the meniscus. Now there is a medial (inside) and lateral (outside) meniscus'. But the MCL and meniscus are two different things.

I apologize in advance if I'm missing something in the above posts' about the ACL and your MCL posts' 

KNEE.ILL_.jpg

Edited by Puckett34, 16 May 2018 - 11:00 AM.

• alarp33 and Heezy1323 like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#43 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

I don't know, I think people are putting more expectations on today's catchers than they probably deserve. Sure, Realmuto is a good catcher and a clear upgrade, but he's one of about a half dozen catchers league-wide you could say that about. If you don't have or can't get one of them, I'm not going to stress out over the position.

I mean aside from the Yankees, the other AL playoff contenders are rolling with likes of Martin Maldonado, Yan Gomes, Brian McCann, Christian Vazquez, Russell Martin, Mike Zunino and Jon Lucroy. Unless the year is 2014, I don't see anyone there that's significantly better than replacement level. It's just a black hole of a position these days, most of the time the best hitters are moved from catcher long before they reach the majors.

Having an injured catcher these days evokes sympathy from me for the injured player, but an "Eh" in terms of impacting the team.

All true, but where else are they old and going to look outside for improvement? Polanco and Gordon are the MIF if Dozier leaves. Sano at third. The OF is controlled for some time, and has potential they aren't giving up on. That leaves first and catcher and DH.
  • cmoss84 likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#44 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

MCL refers to the medial collateral ligament, not the meniscus. Now there is a medial (inside) and lateral (outside) meniscus'. But the MCL and meniscus are two different things.

I apologize in advance if I'm missing something in the above posts' about the ACL and your MCL posts' 

Whoops, I guess I shouldn't have assumed the "M" in MCL was Meniscus.

• GP830 likes this

#45 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,216 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

I wonder if Realmuto's price would be even more inflated given the timing and circumstances.Feels like trading for Bradford in August.

I'd still try to do it, but I'd definitely be ok with Swihart as well.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#46 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

All true, but where else are they old and going to look outside for improvement? Polanco and Gordon are the MIF if Dozier leaves. Sano at third. The OF is controlled for some time, and has potential they aren't giving up on. That leaves first and catcher and DH.

If they can get Realmuto without getting fleeced I'm on board.

If not my focus wouldn't change; my priorities would be back of the bullpen, RH power bat - position be damned, with front of the rotation ace being on my list of fantasies I'll never see in my lifetime. I just don't think the difference between 95% of catchers is much more than negligible these days.

• Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

#47 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:27 AM

If they can get Realmuto without getting fleeced I'm on board.

If not my focus wouldn't change; my priorities would be back of the bullpen, RH power bat - position be damned, with front of the rotation ace being on my list of fantasies I'll never see in my lifetime. I just don't think the difference between 95% of catchers is much more than negligible these days.

All fair. What would you give up?

I'd be good with a RH left or right fielder, but is the upgrade that big? Rosario and Kepler are probably two war players this year. I can't see them cutting bait on Mauer or Morrison, or Dozier, or Buxton. I can't imagine there is a SS available they like more than Polanco they would pay for. That doesn't leave many options, imo.

#48 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

I'm probably in the minority here in that I would trade Gordon and Gonsalves for Realmuto.

I'd be much obliged if someone could post a poll regarding this (or something similar). I'd like to know what people would be willing to give up. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#49 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

All fair. What would you give up?

I'd be good with a RH left or right fielder, but is the upgrade that big? Rosario and Kepler are probably two war players this year. I can't see them cutting bait on Mauer or Morrison, or Dozier, or Buxton. I can't imagine there is a SS available they like more than Polanco they would pay for. That doesn't leave many options, imo.

As far as a RH bat goes, I'd think if he can play OF or 3B they could easily find at bats for everyone by rotating Kepler to 1B once in awhile and everyone getting DH days. The person most affected would be Morrison, which doesn't bother me terribly.

Also, I'm still a Buxton fan but I'm not opposed to a AAA re-calibration.

As for Realmuto, just as with all my trade thoughts, Gonsalves is on the top of my list of expendables. I'm on an island on this one but I'm skeptical of him panning out. I'd listen on the rest of the package, though wouldn't let go of Lewis.

• USAFChief and Mike Sixel like this

#50 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

It's an MCL (meniscus) tear. It takes a shorter amount of time to recover from this kind.

An MCL is totally different from Meniscus, FYI.MCL is a ligament, Meniscus is cartilage.  

If he had a meniscus repair which I believe is what was reported, he'll likely be fully healthy by ~October

• Heezy1323 likes this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#51 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

I'm probably in the minority here in that I would trade Gordon and Gonsalves for Realmuto.
I'd be much obliged if someone could post a poll regarding this (or something similar). I'd like to know what people would be willing to give up.

I'd do that. It would sting, but I'd do that.

#52 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

Last year Castro was an above-average hitter for a catcher. He has always gotten reviews that range from average to excellent for his defense. And he's a lefty who pairs excellently with Garver.

I'm not a Castro hater, but what exact stat are you using to call Castro an above avg hitter for a catcher? His wRC+ last year was 93

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#53 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

To me the problem with getting Realmuto is that Boston, Cleveland, Anaheim, Seattle and Toronto also have replacement level catchers and should/would be trying to get him also. And knowing Houston, they'll go after any good ballplayer even if there is of a less clear need.

Those are the teams the Twins have to get past in the standings.

#54 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

Whoops, I guess I shouldn't have assumed the "M" in MCL was Meniscus.

No worries. If I hadn't had my ACL reconstructed in high school and didn't work in the medical field, I wouldn't know either.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#55 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

I'm not a Castro hater, but what exact stat are you using to call Castro an above avg hitter for a catcher? His wRC+ last year was 93

https://www.mlbtrade...eeks-twins.html

I believe you need to compare it to other catchers?

Edited by ThejacKmp, 16 May 2018 - 11:58 AM.

#56 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...eeks-twins.html

I believe you need to compare it to other catchers?

He was 17th of 23 catchers who had 350+ Plate appearances in wRC+. That is not above avg.The link you posted is including any at bat taken by a catcher, where backups obviously play much more often than other positions

#57 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

I'd do that. It would sting, but I'd do that.

I just can't stomach trading 6 years of control of Gonsalves and Gordan for three years of expensive control over a guy who doesn't hit that much better than Garver (but I'd assume is a better defensive catcher). And who makes you either trade Castro for pennies on the dollar in the offseason or send Garver to AAA.

Seems like giving up too much and getting too little. Especially since Lucroy would likely cost a relatively marginal prospect and let you go back to the acceptable Castro/Garver pairing for next year.

• ken likes this

#58 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

Ya, he was pretty much median among catchers last year. I just don't think that likely to keep up as he ages.

#59 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

Ya, he was pretty much median among catchers last year. I just don't think that likely to keep up as he ages.

But hopefully Garver would be getting 70% of the at-bats as he showed himself. The deal with Castro was always predicated on him potentially morphing into a backup if Garver showed himself.

• Doomtints likes this

#60 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

If they're going to go after someone it had better be someone who's better than Garver. 

Garver has been better than Castro, btw.Who is to say Garver is not the catcher of the future?