Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/15): Kirilloff, LaMarre, Rooker Power Victories

alex kirilloff zack granite ryan lamarre brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,356 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

Couldn't disagree more. Teams are fast tracking these guys like crazy these days. I'd move him to high A right now. Then see what it looks like in the early fall.

Yup, Lewis will be fast tracked... my only reason for wanting him to stay for 2 more weeks in Cedar Rapids is so that I''ll see him when I'm there. He'll get up to Ft. Myers soon, and he''ll most likely spend the rest of this season there. That'll allow him to potentially start in AA next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a non-roster invite next spring. He could be up as soon as the second half of 2019. Ill almost be surprise if, assuming health, he isn't' up by mid-2020. 

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,703 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

Yup, Lewis will be fast tracked... my only reason for wanting him to stay for 2 more weeks in Cedar Rapids is so that I''ll see him when I'm there. He'll get up to Ft. Myers soon, and he''ll most likely spend the rest of this season there. That'll allow him to potentially start in AA next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a non-roster invite next spring. He could be up as soon as the second half of 2019. Ill almost be surprise if, assuming health, he isn't' up by mid-2020.

Agree on all that.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#23 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

Lewis needs to eat a few more sandwiches before they get to fast-tracking him too quickly.Watching him from a fews rows back at Veterans Stadium, I could tell his physical maturity isn't exactly complete.Asking him to adjust to this and adjust to that in short sequences while also adjusting to his body filling out doesn't sound to me like the best recipe for success.Obviously, he's raking (mostly singles), but he's not the man-child that Harper was at the same age.(And I'm not trying to set Harper as a bar ... He's just an example of a young player that was physically mature at a younger age and was fast-tracked)

I'm also not sure that his leg kick is going to be something that he keeps while moving through the system.It's pretty exaggerated.Every player is different, but it just doesn't seem like pre-swing movement that is going to work well moving up the ladder of competition.

He's an exciting player, but I wouldn't throw him out in the deep end just yet.

• Steve Lein, gagu and caninatl04 like this

#24 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

Another note on Kirilloff courtesy of the prospect roundup on MLB.com:

"Alex Kirilloff extended his extra-base-hit streak to 13 games with his sixth home run [and] With an extra-base hit in his next contest, the 20-year-old outfielder will tie the Major League record shared by Paul Waner (1927) and Chipper Jones (2006)."

I wonder what the minor league record is, since he won't qualify for the major league record.

• Steve Lein likes this

#25 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

Slegers could absolutely be a 4/5 start in MLB. If the Twins have so much depth that he's' a 6/7 guy for them, that's good for the team. Not sure how much opportunity Slegers will get, but he certainly can compete in the big leagues as a back-of-rotation starter. He's got the pitches. He''s 91-93, he's got decent secondary stuff, he's smart and he's got good poise. It's really all about opportunity for him at this point. 

Opportunity?Did anyone watch today's Lynn's' mess?

• 70charger likes this

#26 Homer Hanky

Homer Hanky

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:19 PM

Much better chance that Gordon jumps to MLB than Lewis jumps to AA. 

yeah! would sure be nice to see Gordon with a shot at short this year... with Sano slowed and no real everyday SS. Great backups and defensive replacements... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff, zack granite, ryan lamarre, brent rooker