Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 4, STL 1: Berrios is Back

jose berrios fernando rodney eduardo escobar byron buxton bobby wilson
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

Was Buxton's bunt ruled a hit or an error? I saw the play on mlbtv this morning and I couldn't believe how fast he got to first on a bunt more or less straight back to the pitcher.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Had the throw been on target, would he have been safe? Hard for me to tell from the one clip I saw.

the play-by-play indicates a hit and an error.I couldn't tell if he was going to be safe or not either, but it was definitely going to be close.

• Carole Keller, Blake and gunnarthor like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#22 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:54 AM

Yup, I am.Adrianza would become a DFA target at that point if Gordon truly is pushing to be brought up.Escobar becomes the utility guy again, filling Adrianza's role.Sano's return is easier to deal with in my view because you don't need to open a 40-man spot like you would with Santana and May.Perhaps that's where Petit gets DFA'd.The Twins already have too many pitchers on the 40 man.It would depend on the timing, but I don't think any of these moves force the hand of the FO to move on from Hughes.

I'd hate to see Romero sent back down with how well he's pitching.It's a numbers game at that point and he's got options though.It's possible that they move on from Lynn, but I don't see that happening either.

I would hope the numbers say to keep Lynn over Hughes.

Hughes just hasn't come back and there are several years of data to prove it. Whereas Lynn has a recent track record of success versus his struggles to start the year.

• wsnydes likes this

#23 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

While I think Hughes is likely cooked, I don't think a mop-up reliever whose has the stamina for 3+ innings is a wasted roster spot. We saw what happens during the post-Puerto Rico stretch when you don't have that guy on your roster: musical chairs.

Hughes isn't pitching now because the Twins are playing close, good games. His role is for blowouts. Blowouts happen to every team, contending or not. If they happen 2 days in a row and you don't have a Hughes-type it causes problems.

Lynn can take the long reliever spot over Hughes. 

• Shaitan likes this

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

I can't believe Romero going down is being discussed as an option.
At least we'll know if this FO is actually trying to win, or still think they are building. Because a team committed to winning now isn't taking Romero out of the rotation.

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,831 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

Great start. Wow, when he's on, wow

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#26 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

It's a wasted spot if you go 2 weeks without using him.Plus, Magill can fill the long man role.One of them is a wasted spot.Plus, you don't need a mop up guy.You use the relievers that haven't gotten much work lately.Nobody needs a mop up guy.bring in another arm that you can use in close games.  

But what happens if you don't have any relievers that haven't gotten much work lately? What happens when they're all being used, such as 2 weeks ago after the Puerto Rico games? Then they're stuck making changes to the 40-man roster based on immediate necessity, which usually means journeymen.

You have the right to disagree, of course, but I do think a mop-up pitcher is a vital role. Don't waste your core reliever arms on meaningless innings. They can get extra work in the bullpen. Anything can happen in a live game (e.g.: injury).

Edited by Shaitan, 16 May 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#27 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

Lynn can take the long reliever spot over Hughes. 

A part of me wonders if they'll cut Lynn before Hughes, due to the 1 year contract.

Edited by Shaitan, 16 May 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#28 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

A part of me wonders if they'll cut Lynn before Hughes, due to the 1 year contract.

The way the game has gone, maybe both will be looking for another home.

Yeesh, Lynn is bad.

• Shaitan likes this

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,831 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

But what happens if you don't have any relievers that haven't gotten much work lately? What happens when they're all being used, such as 2 weeks ago after the Puerto Rico games? Then they're stuck making changes to the 40-man roster based on immediate necessity, which usually means journeymen.

You have the right to disagree, of course, but I do think a mop-up pitcher is a vital role. Don't waste your core reliever arms on meaningless innings. They can get extra work in the bullpen. Anything can happen in a live game (e.g.: injury).

Maybe they should have planned better to have players with options. I would have. But they are filled with veteran pitchers without options.
  • wsnydes likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#30 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

You build your bullpen with a couple of guys that have options so that you can send them down and bring up some fresh arms when that happens.

Regardless of your thoughts on that, having two longmen in the pen is redundant. That's what Hughes or magill are.

Edited by wsnydes, 16 May 2018 - 01:32 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#31 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

I love seeing Buxton get a bunt down that he can run on, because the fear and panic he inspires running down the line is delightful. He makes people rush throws, bobble a fielding opportunity, overthrow, and anything else bad you can think of. So much fun.

I was at the game on Tuesday and thought exactly the same thing. I'm really glad that happened (not just because we took the lead, there's that...) because it showed that Buxton doesn't even have to get down a great bunt (although that bunt was good) but he just has to get down a decent bunt and stuff like that is going to happen. I'm shocked that the pitcher committed an error though, aren't they supposed to be the best athlete on the team? 

My favorite game of the year so far - great pitching performance by Berrios, clutch hitting so he got rewarded with the win AND it was a beautiful night for baseball! 

Edited by Sarah, 18 May 2018 - 09:31 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, fernando rodney, eduardo escobar, byron buxton, bobby wilson