Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Robinson Cano busted for PEDs

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

Fair points, but I'll never understand why players don't get their supplements through the team.The would eliminate any risk of taking something banned.I'm all about personal responsibility, but if I'm a player, I'm getting everything through the team just to be safe.

I think I read that Consumer Reports or somebody tested some supplements they bought at GNC.You'd think those would be on the up-and-up, but there were a lot of problems (things that weren't supposed to be in there, not as much of the active ingredient as advertised, etc.).Basically, there isn't a lot of regulation and testing going on in the supplement industry.

#22 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

I think I read that Consumer Reports or somebody tested some supplements they bought at GNC.You'd think those would be on the up-and-up, but there were a lot of problems (things that weren't supposed to be in there, not as much of the active ingredient as advertised, etc.).Basically, there isn't a lot of regulation and testing going on in the supplement industry.

Basically yes, a little bit no.

The FDA is limited in their ability to regulate anything considered a "supplement." In the pharmaceutical industry companies are pouring millions into R&D/testing (not a defense of drug costs here, just the reality of the difference in these industries) while companies that manufacture supplements, i.e. anything labeled as not intended to cure/prevent disease can essentially skip the testing and go straight to market. I've never worked in the supplement industry so I can't attest to how much time is invested in mechanism, metabolism, purity, ect. but I can say from the other side they're viewed as snake oil salesmen. I believe the FDA does have some power in an instance of contamination that you mentioned, but obviously even then they don't have much muscle to flex. 

• Vanimal46, wsnydes and snap4birds like this

#23 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

DIdn't he just go on the DL with a broken hand? How does that time factor into the suspension?

You'd think were they knew this was about to hit, they could have avoided DLing him and just let the suspension cover his time away. Unless they can do that anyway?

• h2oface likes this

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

DIdn't he just go on the DL with a broken hand? How does that time factor into the suspension?

You'd think were they knew this was about to hit, they could have avoided DLing him and just let the suspension cover his time away. Unless they can do that anyway?

It doesn't factor at all.
I don't believe there is any advantage or disadvantage either way, so I don't think it matters at all whether they DL'd him or waited for the suspension.

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

What Cano won't tell you in his "apology", is that because he tested positive for a masking agent, and not an actual PED, the league was forced to prove intent before they could suspend him.
So he absolutely cheated, and absolutely intended to cheat, and actively attempted to mask his cheating.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 4 others like this

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

I don't understand why everyone is so high on Polanco. He has not achieved anything at the major league level and he's already busted for PEDS. Should he be a starter over Escobar? Someone who is busted for PEDS over someone who is always hardworking and well-liked in the clubhouse? Give me a break.

Polanco has a career bWAR of 3.1. Escobar’s is 5.0 in roughly 3 times as many PA.

Polanco is a better player, period. Better defensively and I still am not convinced Escobar will maintain a 135 OPS+. As good as he was last year, he still posted only a 101. The main reason I like Polanco is that his contact approach balances a lineup full of guys that swing and miss a lot. I think the Twins need that in their lineup.
  • Twins33, Platoon, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#27 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:29 PM

What Cano won't tell you in his "apology", is that because he tested positive for a masking agent, and not an actual PED, the league was forced to prove intent before they could suspend him.
So he absolutely cheated, and absolutely intended to cheat, and actively attempted to mask his cheating.

"Prove" intent might be a bit of an over statement. In MLB eyes, proof is usually not necessarily something that will hold up in court. But they surely were satisfied with their investigation to suspend. 

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:32 PM

"Prove" intent might be a bit of an over statement. In MLB eyes, proof is usually not necessarily something that will hold up in court. But they surely were satisfied with their investigation to suspend.

They apparently proved it enough to satisfy whatever appeals process there is outlined in the CBA.
  • h2oface likes this

#29 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

He was going to be out, for probably an extended period of time on the DL with his hand injury, which may even required surgery. Quite lucky if he gets to accumulate suspension time while he is on the DL, which I think I read. He forfeits less playing time - how much not determined yet, but definitely will be getting a break. He would have been out anyway, but paid. Perhaps there should be a stipulation for these types of suspensions, that the "games" only can accumulate while someone is on or can be on the active roster?

Edited by h2oface, 15 May 2018 - 06:36 PM.

• USAFChief and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#30 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:39 PM

According to the ESPN story, Cano dropped his appeal when he was presented with the league's proof of his intent. I don't think a player would drop his appeal if the evidence wasn't extremely strong.
  • h2oface, wsnydes, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,418 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

He shouldn’t get credit for suspension time while on the DL.
  • birdwatcher, Twins33, TheLeviathan and 2 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#32 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

He shouldn’t get credit for suspension time while on the DL.

I agree in principle, but I'm sure this is all spelled out in the CBA. Whatever is in there that applies is the final word.

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,239 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

I don't understand why everyone is so high on Polanco. He has not achieved anything at the major league level

Polanco.Career MLB: .266/.322/.417
Buxton. Career MLB: .234/.291/.395
Same age.

Let's talk about achievement...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 jun

jun

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

Same age.

Buxton might be worse offensively. He is at least disciplined and everyone agrees he is absolutely reliable on the field. Did Buxton win gold glove last year? Let's talk about achievement.

Edited by jun, 17 May 2018 - 07:30 AM.

• birdwatcher likes this

#35 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

Same age.

You meant to put up Escobar's numbers, right? 

#36 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

This thread isn't about anyone else other than Cano. Please stay to topic.

• Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#37 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

Saw this on twitter, but the Yankees could field a pretty good all-steroids team with their past players.

• gunnarthor likes this

#38 TFRazor

TFRazor

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

Was he a shoo-in Hall of Famer up to this point? How about now?

Still think he gets in but now he's one of those asterisk guys